The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pilot Iroshizuku Ajisai

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 13:49

My photos can NOT do this ink justice. It fairly glows!!!!!! It's somewhere between blue and purple...just blue enough to "pass" in most settings with an electric quality that's quite rebellious.

I really wish it behaved better on cheap paper because it would be my EDC ink if it did. I love, love, LOVE it!!!!

V1Uj8vt.jpg

CKzqhcM.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 DaveBj

DaveBj

Viking Pen Wielder

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 14:48

I recently decided to start at the alphabetical top of the Iroshizuku list and got a bottle of Aji-sai.  I currently have it loaded into one of my 992s, and I agree with your raves.  I haven't used it on any cheap paper, so I can't speak to that.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick.  --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

#3 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 15:05

I love the hue of it but from the pics I can't see much character in it.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Kon Peki....the colours of the rainbow.

#4 ENewton

ENewton

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 16:47

I colleague of mine recently visited Japan and brought me a small bottle of Ajisai as a gift.  I have been using it for about the past week and am contented for this to be the only blue in my ink collection.  

I agree with the difficulty of capturing the unique qualities of this ink in photographs.  Kelly, I suspect you won't mind if I link to an additional review of this ink you love so much:

http://www.fountainp...shizuku-ajisai/

I also agree that not only the behavior but the complex color of this ink suffer if one uses it on low-grade paper.   

#5 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 17:54

ENewton I don't mind at all! Sandy captured the color better than I did, but not the glowy-ness of it. I swear it reflects light somehow that can't be captured in photos. It also shifts color depending on lighting conditions.

Here it is on (bleep) paper, with Pilot Namiki Blue Black underneath (I dared to take the pen with it to a meeting and this is the paper I had to contend with. It gave the Namiki Blue Black problems too and even sucked so much ink out of the pen that the feed ran dry and I had to prime it partway through the meeting, that's how bad this paper is.)

zRgWcuh.jpg

#6 DrPenfection

DrPenfection

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,286 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:37

Thank you for your review. This is a great color and a wonderful ink, although I agree with you about some cheap notebook papers.

Best always,

Deborah (aka DrPenfection)

#7 Pensei

Pensei

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Yesterday, 01:42

Excellent ink. I really like it; it's the "designated ink" for my 823. 

#8 Tweety06

Tweety06

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Today, 00:24

I also really like Ajisai, but today I tried J Herbin's Eclat de Saphir and was surprised to find that it looks exactly the same as Ajisai on copy paper.  On Clairefontaine, the Eclat de Saphir was a touch more vibrant to my eye.  At this point, I'm not sure which I prefer!

#9 Bluey

Bluey

• Member - Gold

• 1,329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Today, 00:36

I tried this today. It's nice but it's a little on the light side, and there's no visible shading in my Sailor. It could very well be the Sailor responsible for it's lack of shading because it tends to produce a saturated line. It doesn't have that extra quirkiness for me to make it stand out.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Kon Peki....the colours of the rainbow.

#10 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Today, 02:27

I actually used this ink all day today...it does well on the higher grade cheap paper and I love it so much. It's the perfect shade of blue/sapphire.

If only there was a nano particle version that didn't feather or bleed I'd be in heaven!

#11 ENewton

ENewton

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted Today, 03:06

I tried this today. It's nice but it's a little on the light side, and there's no visible shading in my Sailor. It could very well be the Sailor responsible for it's lack of shading because it tends to produce a saturated line. It doesn't have that extra quirkiness for me to make it stand out.

I get dramatic shading with this ink in a Lamy Safari.

#12 Bluey

Bluey

• Member - Gold

• 1,329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Today, 15:01

I get dramatic shading with this ink in a Lamy Safari.

I don't see this dramatic shading at all I'm afraid.

7Cu8nTQ.jpg

Sponsored Content

|