The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Montblanc Pavarotti Vs. Borghese?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GTD

GTD

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:41

Hey guys,
Trying to pull the trigger on one of these pens... any recommendations on which one will hold its value? Thanks.

Sponsored Content

#2 zaddick

zaddick

BROAD Side Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:41

In my opinion that should not be near the top of your list of priorities when choosing a pen. Pens generally are bad investments. MB currently hold their value better than average, but less so if used.

Is this to just sit in the box on a dark shelf? Then but the one you can get the bigger discount on. If you are going to use the pen, which look do you prefer?

I do not find either to be my particular taste, but if put to a choice then the Borghese as I find it the more appealing of the two.

#3 horationelson

horationelson

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:18

I prefer the Borhgese, but the Pavarotti would look less out of place for use in an office environment.

#4 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:32

If you like both of them, then buy the one which you like better. Whether they might or might not hold their value isn't a good reason for buying one. It's realistic to assume that neither of them will ever be worth as much as the price you pay for them now.  :(

Some pen users don't like metal grips because they are slippery when writing. Both of these pens have metal grips. If I was considering spending that much money on a pen, neither of these would make my top 20 list.  :mellow:

flying-letter-exc.png

#5 Pravda

Pravda

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:20

I personally feel the Borghese is a more refined pen. Great materials in the craftsmanship, and while not 100% my taste I would take it over the Pavarotti any day.

I agree with Zaddick that long-term value shouldn't influence your choice. That being said and if I must speculate, the Borghese appears to be better equipped for that characteristic.

#6 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,977 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:55

I like the Borghese. But then my collection is based on which pen I reach for first when I've got the money in my pocket. If you want a steady return on investment, call a financial advisor.

#7 GTD

GTD

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 19:35

Thanks for all the comments! I think I am going to go with the Borghese as it fits more my style. The red in the Pavarotti is not really appealing to me haha.
Thanks again for the inputs & recommendations. Have a great Sunday.

Sponsored Content

|