The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Victorian Dip Pen Identification Help Please?

victorian silver dip pen retractable

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:20

So, I got this retractable Victorian dip pen today. It's my first dip pen. It writes nicely and I am enjoying it.
I was told this was made in late 1800's or early 1900's, but I don't have any other information.
I appreciate it if you could help me identify this pen :)

Attached Images

• IMG_3392.JPG
  • IMG_3393.JPG
  • IMG_3394.JPG

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

Sponsored Content

#2 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:27

Unmarked European ring top retracting dip pen..silver {?  any hallmarks} with a scroll relief pattern.

Timeline appears to be correct.

Fred

#3 SoulSamurai

SoulSamurai

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:20

No idea what it is, but it's very pretty!

#4 Goudy

Goudy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:31

The nib is a steel replacement (Joseph Gillot). The original would have been gold.

utQ9Ep9.jpg

#5 ENewton

ENewton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 15:57

Very lovely little pen.  What ink are you using so far?  With a dip pen you are not limited to fountain pen inks.

#6 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 16:37

Unmarked European ring top retracting dip pen..silver {?  any hallmarks} with a scroll relief pattern.
Timeline appears to be correct.

Fred

Thank you! I don't see hallmarks other than the word "sterling," but it is so fun to imagine how this pen was made, cared and came to the US :)

#7 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 16:37

#8 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 16:38

Thank you! I will need to polish a little bit (enouh to still show the relief contrast) :)

#9 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 16:41

Very lovely little pen.  What ink are you using so far?  With a dip pen you are not limited to fountain pen inks.

You are right! Inks are unlimited :)
I have only tried fountain pen inks so far, and learning that some inks are more watery and do not stay behind the nib as long as others.

So far Iroshizuku Tsukushi works great for this pen.

I will keep exploring :)

#10 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 17:26

What you have appears to be a cedar pencil holder, intended to hold a short wooden pencil insert, the insert usually but not always having a threaded end. Is there anything holding the nib in place other that the tube into which it fits? That is to say, something to press the nib against the tube from the inside, whether a split plug or fingerlike tabs?

#11 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 17:49

The nib is a steel replacement (Joseph Gillot). The original would have been gold.

Thank you!
I will look up Joseph Gillot to see if there is other kind of nibs I can replace :)

#12 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 18:00

What you have appears to be a cedar pencil holder, intended to hold a short wooden pencil insert, the insert usually but not always having a threaded end. Is there anything holding the nib in place other that the tube into which it fits? That is to say, something to press the nib against the tube from the inside, whether a split plug or fingerlike tabs?

Thank you David for your response!
Yes indeed there is a split plug in the tube holding the nib.
Do you think someone made a pencil holder into this dip pen?

Tai

Attached Images

• IMG_3397.JPG

#13 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 21:52

Tai, it's tough to say without further inspection, but I wonder if there was a conversion -- the holder portion added (threaded into?) the carrier for the pencil insert. 

Normally retracting travel dip pens have a provision so that the overall length of the holder can be extended. 

#14 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 22:51

Tai, it's tough to say without further inspection, but I wonder if there was a conversion -- the holder portion added (threaded into?) the carrier for the pencil insert. 
Normally retracting travel dip pens have a provision so that the overall length of the holder can be extended.

Oh I see...I have seen one with both ends of the pen extend.
Whoever converted this into a dip pen has done a good job making the nib holder secured tightly in the insert.
Thank you David. If you are going to SF show, I hope to meet you there :)

Tai

#15 ENewton

ENewton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:33

How are people at the San Francisco show going to recognize you?  Are you the person pictured in your profile photo?

#16 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:57

How are people at the San Francisco show going to recognize you?  Are you the person pictured in your profile photo?

Yes, I am the person in the photo.
If I remember, I will wear the same glasses, too.
If you see me there, just yell at me :)
My name is Tai Goto (as in neck TIE). I have a longer first name but will keep it short :D

#17 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,884 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:47

In there is no hallmark, the original nib could have been bronze and or as well as steel. There were a lot of silver plated or the 'new' German Silver, a nickle alloy pens.

""""Nickel silver, Mailechort, German silver, Argentan, new silver, nickel brass, albata, alpacca, or electrum is a copper alloy with nickel and often zinc. The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc. Nickel silver is named for its silvery appearance, but it contains no elemental silver unless plated.""""""""""

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#18 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 14:20

In there is no hallmark, the original nib could have been bronze and or as well as steel. There were a lot of silver plated or the 'new' German Silver, a nickle alloy pens.
""""Nickel silver, Mailechort, German silver, Argentan, new silver, nickel brass, albata, alpacca, or electrum is a copper alloy with nickel and often zinc. The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc. Nickel silver is named for its silvery appearance, but it contains no elemental silver unless plated.""""""""""

Hmmm...mystery...
I am grateful for all of the information.
It is exciting to understand this pen more and more.
Thank you!! :)

#19 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,884 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 18:47

It's a pretty Vest Pocket pen.

@1895 shirt pockets and attachable clips for fountain pens came in. Attached cuffs and collars in women could sit down and peddle the wash machine; so Monday wasn't the only wash day.

Vests slowly went out of fashion.... :) due to the shirt pocket, and fountain pens too long for a vest pocket. :huh:

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#20 tgoto

tgoto

Vintage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2017 - 20:45

It's a pretty Vest Pocket pen.

@1895 shirt pockets and attachable clips for fountain pens came in. Attached cuffs and collars in women could sit down and peddle the wash machine; so Monday wasn't the only wash day.
Vests slowly went out of fashion.... :) due to the shirt pocket, and fountain pens too long for a vest pocket. :huh:

Thank you!

I have some polo shirts with a pocket short enough for fountain pens but probably good for the little dip pen :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: victorian, silver, dip, pen, retractable

Sponsored Content

|