Jinhao 992 Hacks

Nenona

So I posted this a few days ago on instagram but I figure I'd bring it here in case anyone might be interested.

Forever ago I bought a cheap calligraphy pen. I think the actual pen itself was a cheap plastic and liked to leak ink out, and I didn't use it often, so it was unused and I lost it sometime between now and when I bought it.

That was the Hero 5028 PolyPack from ebay(comes with 1.1, 1.5, and 1.9 stub calligraphy nibs)

Now, the Jinhao 992 fits the replacement nibs. It took some wiggling to get them out of the old nib units but they fit like a glove into the Jinhao 992's, no wiggling, no extra space, perfect swap.

They write great in the 992 body, too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXZDDGklESF/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXdnpSIlIB_/

Still haven't found a Medium or Bold nib that fits into the Jinhao 992, but the Hero 5028 polypacks are currently $4.99 on ebay, meaning you can get 3 replacement nibs for the Jinhao for $5

Has anyone found a Medium or Bold nib option for the Jinhao 992?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nenona

• Inkvisible

• otblue

• Mech-for-i

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Nenona!

I can attest that your hack works like a charm. I have done the same thing with some 992's using the same Hero calligraphy set. I did have trouble getting the nibs out, and mashed the 5028 feed. This was not a tragedy, since the original 992 feed works fine. I doubt I will want to put the nib back in the 5028.

I have replaced another 992 nib with a Knox #5 OBB. This fits well, but is a more expensive option at $9. I suspect that many #5 nibs might work.

The Hero 5028 do come in a version equipped with Hero's non stub 0.7mm nib , aka B for most of us. The full set of 5028 Calligraphy Set actually consist of 0.7, 1.1, 1.5, 1.9, 2.5 and 2.9 mm nib

Hi, Nenona!

I can attest that your hack works like a charm. I have done the same thing with some 992's using the same Hero calligraphy set. I did have trouble getting the nibs out, and mashed the 5028 feed. This was not a tragedy, since the original 992 feed works fine. I doubt I will want to put the nib back in the 5028.

I have replaced another 992 nib with a Knox #5 OBB. This fits well, but is a more expensive option at $9. I suspect that many #5 nibs might work.

I mashed one of the feeds. First one I got out without damaging it(they appear to be the exact same feeds) and the second one I crushed the fins, but like you said, no great tragedy and the Jinhao 992's feed works perfect. The weird thing is, a few people said that #5 nibs were too big/weren't working but *shrug* I found a solution that cost me nothing up front to do.

Where do you source your #5 nibs?

The Hero 5028 do come in a version equipped with Hero's non stub 0.7mm nib , aka B for most of us. The full set of 5028 Calligraphy Set actually consist of 0.7, 1.1, 1.5, 1.9, 2.5 and 2.9 mm nib

Yessss sounds about what I want. I will be searching for that then.

Thanks for the hack! I have 3 partial sets of 5028 pens sitting unused because of leaky sections and the like. It's nib extraction time!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I mashed one of the feeds. First one I got out without damaging it(they appear to be the exact same feeds) and the second one I crushed the fins, but like you said, no great tragedy and the Jinhao 992's feed works perfect. The weird thing is, a few people said that #5 nibs were too big/weren't working but *shrug* I found a solution that cost me nothing up front to do.

Where do you source your #5 nibs?

Many of the Jinhao nibs on eBay that do not specifically say suitable for 159/X450/X750 are direct replacements for the 992.

The former are the larger #6 and the 992 nibs are the #5 but none of them are listed as such.

There are some Duke and Genius branded nibs out there as well.

Have seen medium advertised as well as flude style in the #5 but no broad nibs.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3pcs-JINHAO-For-most-pens-Fountain-pen-jinhao-M-NIB-/132191538573?hash=item1ec73acd8d:g:DW8AAOSw9OFZGAbt

I get Knox nibs from Birmingham Pen Company. They have an assortment of sizes.

https://www.birminghampens.com

Free shipping over $40. They are nice folks.

I'll check them out. Really want a Bold for my collection of 992's

Thanks for the hack! I have 3 partial sets of 5028 pens sitting unused because of leaky sections and the like. It's nib extraction time!

Ah! and just like that, I feel totally justified for reposting it. The 5028 Nib is good, the pen is junk. Mine leaked into the cap and stuff too. The 992's are great so this is like a greater sum of two pens.

Many of the Jinhao nibs on eBay that do not specifically say suitable for 159/X450/X750 are direct replacements for the 992.

The former are the larger #6 and the 992 nibs are the #5 but none of them are listed as such.

There are some Duke and Genius branded nibs out there as well.

Have seen medium advertised as well as flude style in the #5 but no broad nibs.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3pcs-JINHAO-For-most-pens-Fountain-pen-jinhao-M-NIB-/132191538573?hash=item1ec73acd8d:g:DW8AAOSw9OFZGAbt

Hrrrm I wasn't sure about these, since I know a lot of the Jinhao more popular pens are #6 nibs. However, I have seen them on the US ebay for like 5 M nibs for $1 or so, It can't hurt to risk it. And I do have several Jinhao x750's if they end up being #6 nibs, so worth the risk.

Hrrrm I wasn't sure about these, since I know a lot of the Jinhao more popular pens are #6 nibs. However, I have seen them on the US ebay for like 5 M nibs for $1 or so, It can't hurt to risk it. And I do have several Jinhao x750's if they end up being #6 nibs, so worth the risk.

I have purchased several lots of nibs and so far the premise has held true; namely the #6 nibs are described as suitable for 159/X450/X750 and the others were #5.

Being eBay it is a bit potluck but as you said, not much to risk.