The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sailor B Vs Zoom

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:05

I'm considering a purchase of a Sailor pen and I'm trying to decide between a B nib and Zoom nib. The idea of having essentially three nibs in one appeals to me but I'm afraid it will be *too* broad at my normal writing angle of about 45*. How do the two nibs compare when used at about a 45* angle to the paper?

Sponsored Content

#2 77kath

77kath

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:56

IMG_3066.JPG

#3 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 13:21

Oh wow, so they're about the same. The Zoom looks just a *little* broader. THANKS!!! That's perfect.

I may go with the Zoom then, just because it's unique. I can get a Broad from (almost) any maker but I can only get a Zoom from Sailor. 

#4 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 14:01

I bought the zoom because it was unique and I wanted to try something different. I thought it was be great and so versatile having 3 different nib widths in one. In theory.

In practice it's not really that useful unless you want to write withe a double broad all the time. IWhen you have it the fact that it's unique doesn't mean that much. It's very broad but like most Sailors the ink flow is just right, so it doesn't gush. An unlike many other nibs it's not susceptible to hand oils at the bottom of each page - a Pelikan, Lamy, Jowo/Bock, or MB broad will typically write much thinner on the presence of hand oils, but even the much broader Sailor zoom is unfazed and behaves the same everywhere. The feedback is very different to most Sailors too because it behaves like a ball rather than a foot.

Most of the time it's like a double broad, and especially for me as I write at a shallow angle. It would probably be most suitable for artists. That screenshot above doesn't look very realistic because the zoom is at least twice the width of a Sailor broad at a 45 degree angle. For a very short time I tried using it for journal writing on wide ruled paper, but I found it too broad.

Edited by Bluey, 13 August 2017 - 14:07.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Kon Peki....the colours of the rainbow.

#5 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 14:14

I like the breadth of the zoom nib when I use it at a normal writing angle.  I actually find I don't get all that much width variation until I get to an almost impossibly steep angle - approaching 90 degrees.  No way that type of angle is comfortable for me to write with!  So while I like the zoom nib and consider it a keeper, speaking practically, I really don't find it to be "three nibs in one"

#6 tinta

tinta

Zoë Kutya

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 16:41

Personally I found the Sailor Zoom nib to be less useful than I originally hoped it would be. 

True, my written line widths did vary with the angles the nib to the paper, but it was quite difficult to maintain the Zoom at a set angle.  I suppose it was "operator error" on my part.

FPN research led me to a number of threads on the behavior of Zooms.  Most seemed to conclude that Sailor Zoom lenses were primarily devised for writing "kanji", not really for western cursive script.

After a lot of experimentation, this nib just did not feel comfortable in use.  But, a Zoom nib can be converted to an italic nib by a competent nib tech.  Other than Sailor's MS nibs, the Zoom has the greatest amount of tipping material. 

Mike Masuyama suggested that my Zoom nib could be easily reground to a medium sized italic.  Sadly I no longer have that excellent 0.7 mm.CI by Mike.

As for a Sailor B nib, it gives you lines of uniform thickness & not very wide ones at that.  It's more like a European M.  Lately I've been thinking of having a Sailor 14K B reground to a narrow (0.4 or 0.5 mm.) stub.

Sailor 1911 Standards (14c nibs): *Black/gold, 0.8 mm. stub *Burgundy/gold, 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI & 1.1 mm. CI, *Sailor Profit Standards: Brown & Red Marbled Mozaiques, (machined acrylic/rhodium), 1.0 mm.CI & 0.8 mm. stub *Franklin-Christoph, (clipless) Iterum, mod."03" (smoke/maroon), JoWo 18c 1.0 mm.CI *Kaweco Dia2 14c B & BB (butter-line-stubs) Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput 14c 0.8 stub * Montblanc 254, 14c BB flügelfeder factory stub

#7 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 17:49

Tinta that's why I was considering the Sailor Broad nib, because I like Western M. My handwriting is small enough that anything bigger than a broad M will blur out my writing, so I was concerned it will be too wide. I actually do just fine with Western fines, but they aren't as much fun when it comes to ink.

I've noticed too that for every Zoom user, there's a different Zoom experience. Variations in each nib and variations in each user lead to this most likely.

More food for thought. Zoom is the adventurous option. Broad is the safe option. I'm certain I would enjoy the broad. I might enjoy the Zoom more, but maybe I should wait until I get a chance to try one in person.

Sponsored Content

|