Quick Talk Me Out Of It.

Mihailo

Quick talk me out of it, I am thinking of getting more pens.

I have been looking at several pens, and have narrowed down my choices to three pens, however I can neither decide between the three, or whether or not I should give in to my little devil on my shoulder whispering me towards more pens, even after a Falcon SF less than 2 months ago. The three pens I am looking at are Platinum 3776 Bourgogne in B, the same in a SF, or a Pilot custom 74 with a SFM.

Please help, I don't think my psyche nor pocket book can handle the stress.

"But those inks would work well with that pen, plus they'r lonely on the shelf"

"hush little devil you."

I run on Caffeine, Sarcasm and inappropriate thoughts.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• Mihailo

• Bluey

• akrohn2010

Quick talk me out of it, I am thinking of getting more pens.

You say that here?! :lticaptd:

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

PS: I like them both... the 3776 is more affordable, but the 74 decked out with a Con70 converter is a hard pen to beat. :)

Was that helpful at all? ... probably not. :(

ETA: I love the soft nibs on Pilot Customs. :cloud9:

Edited by ParkerDuofold

The issue that makes them hard is that I have a con 70 converter already and I would be getting it from Japan so near same prices.

Well, I'm not an enabler(I prefer to think of myself as a realist, and ensure that the weight of reality of making a wrong pen choice will come crashing down on you, hard, like an oversize Jinhao 192), so let's get that out of the way.

If you have a Pilot Falcon SF, the Pilot Custom 74 SFM is a waste. It's boring looking and it doesn't offer anything of interest or value that the Falcon doesn't. The nib is more interesting and unique looking on the Falcon, and I consider it overall better and more interesting in character than the Custom 74.

The Platinum 3776 in B I thought was extremely reliable, rather wet, but a bit uneventful. It's also very broad, much broader than a Pilot or Sailor broad. The Platinum SF I found to be very dry out of the box and needed some tweaking, but it's an interesting nib and worth keeping, producing some really nice hairlines.

Out of those 3, get the Platinum SF and have a look at a Sailor MF.

Edited by Bluey

Okay.

Your pre-existing pens are crying for attention in... where ever you keep them. Take them out instead of buying new pens. Also, I am sure that your "oh, <expletive>"-fund could use that ~70-100 bucks. It's never too big.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

You came to the wrong place to be talked out of buying pens... unless being talking into buying them was your plan all along...

Anyway, don't do it. You don't need any of those pens; not if (as you stated) you can't afford them anyway.

If you really want a pen to try out some ink, grab a Platinum Preppy or something cheap but reliable like that. Hey, if you buy a Preppy you won't even need to shell out for a converter, you can just use it as an eye-dropper (all you need is an eyedropper or syringe, and some silicon grease and/or an o-ring).

Let's just ask one question : have you already get acquired with all your pens, and acquired well, if not, then might be its good time spending more time with what's already on hand ( OK had to admit I had a hard time doing that myself though )

Edited by Mech-for-i

Semi-flex Pelikan 140......'50's Pelikan 400.

Geha 790 is the Best Buy under semi-flex in they run half as much as a 140.

All the nibs are stubs.....so a stubbed semi-flex does add flair to one's writing.

Please read my signature.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Love my Platinum 3776 Bourgogne SF, so that is what I would go with. Don't resist, enjoy!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Buy five bottles of ink instead...

Five is better than three right?

We can get you through this, don't worry!!

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Well, you posted this question on a forum full of fountain pen nut cases. See what responses you get?

I suggest you ask this same question and see what people have to say over at:

www.donotbuyanymorefountainpennetwork.com

If you cannot get any opinions over there, then we must conclude that your decision is made. It is a democracy, you know.

:P ;) :D

Edited by JonW

"Who writes with a fountain pen? How friggin' pretentious is that?" --from the movie Duplicity. :-)

...If you have a Pilot Falcon SF, the Pilot Custom 74 SFM is a waste. It's boring looking and it doesn't offer anything of interest or value that the Falcon doesn't. The nib is more interesting and unique looking on the Falcon, and I consider it overall better and more interesting in character than the Custom 74.

Hi all,

I do not think I concur with my pal, Bluey's assessment. Personally, I find the writing experience between the Falcon and the 74 different... while the 74 nib feels more cushioned in a gentle, air-soft kind of way; the Falcon seems a little more springy in a harsher, "boing-like" style. Please excuse all these technical terms... believe me, I'm not trying to show-off. :rolleyes:

Actually, the answer is a very simple one... if you like toothier nibs... get the 3776; if you prefer smoother nibs and the large ink capacity of the 70 converter, get the 74.

Be well and enjoy life... and I hope whichever pen you choose... it'll really ring your chimes... :) ... besides, who are we kidding? In due time, you're going to own all three anyways. :D

- Anthony

EDITED to fix typo.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I'm with those who say that the best way to self control is to pull out a pen you haven't used in a while. I go through phases when I use a particular group of pens and inking one outside that group can really help freshen things up. I've also created a rule for myself that I only buy pens for special occasions. This makes them more satisfying than if I just pick one up whenever I feel like it.

Yet another Sarah.

You came to the wrong place to be talked out of buying pens... unless being talking into buying them was your plan all along...

Anyway, don't do it. You don't need any of those pens; not if (as you stated) you can't afford them anyway.

Hmm it seems the suggestions are becoming self aware, they can never know my true plan.

(btw can afford them, question is if i want to though.)

Your pre-existing pens are crying for attention in... where ever you keep them. Take them out instead of buying new pens.

Its not the pens crying for attention, (those are all inked and being used) its the poor inks that don't have a pen to be used in.

I appreciate everyone's comments so far by the way, the real question here though is if it is enough to satiate my shoulder devil.

I love my Platinum 3776 Century Bourgogne in B. It is always inked. A very nice compliment to my Pelikan M200's (F and OB) and TWSBI 580 with a B stub. Those 4 are inked continuously.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Hi all,

I do not think I concur with my pal, Bluey's assessment. Personally, I find the writing experience between the Falcon and the 74 different... while the 74 nib feels more cushioned in a gentle, air-soft kind of way; the Falcon seems a little more springy in a harsher, "boing-like" style. Please excuse all these technical terms... believe me, I'm not trying to show-off. :rolleyes:

Actually, the answer is a very simple one... if you like toothier nibs... get the 3776; if you prefer smoother nibs and the large ink capacity of the 70 converter, get the 74.

Be well and enjoy life... and I hope whichever pen you choose... it'll really ring your chimes... :) ... besides, who are we kidding? In due time, you're going to own all three anyways. :D

- Anthony

EDITED to fix typo.

I agree with you, Anthony, in respect to the differences. I still think the Falcon is quite unique in it's feel and handling to all the other soft nibs out there, and this is why I palce it above the Custom 74.

The Custom 74 i found to be somewhat drier than the Falcon. The Falcon being very very wet.

I can unfortunately relate to the issue. I'd say enyoy the pens you have rather than getting another pen you don't need and might not use. I've put myself into a financial hole over the years purchasing items I (or my family) don't need and might not get a lot of use out of. I'm on a purchasing hiatus when it comes to non-neceessities.

Purchasing and waiting for the items arrive gives a certain expectation high that can be problematic when you're on a budget (or should be on a budget). It doesn't help in this internet era where you can just make a few clicks, oubch in a credit card and get what you want rather than delayed gratification. The lack of bricks & mortar stores amplifies this ... Personally I'd be more prone to wait it out if, say I could wait it out and try it at a bricks & mortar or pen show.

You might consider experimenting how you like how the pens you have work with various ink and paper to fine the optimal combination.

Edited by Mister5

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)