The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Alternatives To Jinhao With Zebra Nib?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Neru

Neru

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2017 - 22:09

Hello.

After many years of doodling in school notebooks with fontain pens got interested in using it for illustrating. Just recently found out that pens with flex nibs exist and the best combination that I've found after many hours of searching was Jinhao x750 with Zebra g nib.

Are there any nibs that would last longer than Zebra g and would fit Jinhao or any other cheap fontain pen?

There are some Leonardt nibs like Shorthand and Crown at local art store so I was thinking if anyone tried to put these into fontain pens? Would be spending no more than Jinhao would cost for now.

Jinhao with Zebra g nib looks good but I dont like heavy pens and would like to get a nib that would last longer than Zebra.

Would be great to find some recommendations and thanks for reading.

Sponsored Content

#2 flipper_gv

flipper_gv

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2017 - 22:33

The Zebra G nibs are pretty cheap no?

#3 oneill

oneill

RETIRED MAGISTRATE

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2017 - 22:57

YES THEY ARE.I am not sure but I think the Brause Rose nib will also give Flex when fitted to a jinhao.Trust me, oneill

#4 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 23:47

It's my understanding that the x750, like the x450, takes a #6 nib.  My x450 uses a Fountain Pen Revolution #6 Flex Nib.  And despite the odds, I use the stock feed that came with the pen and it handles the job assignment perfectly.  I don't experience skips or railroading, although I do consciously avoid dry inks.  (Today I'm using Aurora Black.)  Warning: it was difficult to push the FPR Flex Nib and original feed into the section opening, which suggests these parts really aren't a match.  But I persisted anyway.  I also reshaped the base of the nib, squeezing firmly with my thumb and forefinger, to make the leading edge (going in) of the nib-feed combo less parabolic and more round.  They fit now, as do the Jinhao stock nib and original feed.  Persistence, persistence.

fpn_1498344192__jinhao-x450-050.jpg

Edited by Bookman, 13 August 2017 - 02:09.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

#5 SoulSamurai

SoulSamurai

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:40

Ackerman Pens have a brass nib (that they simply call the "sketch nib") that was designed to be an alternative to the Zebra Manga G: https://ackermanpens...ucts/sketch-nib. Because it's brass rather than steel it is supposed to be more corrosion resistant, meaning it should last longer.

#6 Neru

Neru

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:25

Yes. Just looking for alternatives

YES THEY ARE.I am not sure but I think the Brause Rose nib will also give Flex when fitted to a jinhao.Trust me, oneill

Brause Rose nibs looks interesting, thank you.

It's my understanding that the x750, like the x450, takes a #6 nib.  My x450 uses a Fountain Pen Revolution #6 Flex Nib.  And despite the odds, I use the stock feed that came with the pen and it handles the job assignment perfectly.  I don't experience skips or railroading, although I do consciously avoid dry inks.  (Today I'm using Aurora Black.)  Warning: it was difficult to push the FPR Flex Nib and original feed into the section opening, which suggests these parts really aren't a match.  But I persisted anyway.  I also reshaped the base of the nib, squeezing firmly with my thumb and forefinger, to make the leading edge (going in) of the nib-feed combo less parabolic and more round.  They fit now, as do the Jinhao stock nib and original feed.  Persistence, persistence.

Haven't head of PRS nibs. These looks good, thank you for recommendation.

Ackerman Pens have a brass nib (that they simply call the "sketch nib") that was designed to be an alternative to the Zebra Manga G: https://ackermanpens...ucts/sketch-nib. Because it's brass rather than steel it is supposed to be more corrosion resistant, meaning it should last longer.

Ackerman looks good as well. Thanks.

#7 AK-47

AK-47

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2017 - 13:21

I'm sure you've looked at these, but you can also buy a Konrad flex nib which should fit into a Jinhao (have not tried it but my Konrad takes #6 nibs)...they're even cheaper than the Zebra and while they can be finicky in my experience, would set you back all of $4...

~AK

Sponsored Content

|