Danitrio Yokozuna

freakman

I'm collecting pens with oversized nibs and Danitrio Yokozuna hit my list around a year ago. I saw winedoc posting several pictures of the Yokozuna with plain urushi body. I wonder if this pen is still possible for order? Or has anyone purchased and tried it?

The 'undisclosed' nib maker in Japan also got this nib but the pens are even harder to order so I decided to switch to the easier method.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• freakman

• Mew

• zaddick

• rpsyed

Firstly, Nib cannot be classified as 'oversize' per se. A nib can be called huge, big etc. But oversize is used mainly for pens since there is a standard size.

Secondly, the pen is still made, and it was still made when I asked for it 5 months ago. You can contact nibs.com (U.S.) and they will be able to help you. Danitrio Yokozuna in plain urushi finish are made to order and general waiting time is 3 months or so.

Thirdly, the nib maker in Japan has an MOQ, which is difficult to meet. I would not comment on how much is it, but it's not low.

I would recommend Namiki Urushi #50 which is being sold for 8,000 yuan on Taobao whereas Danitrio MSRP is $3,000 iirc. It may be more.

Goodluck.

Addendum to the above post:

Both Danitrio Yokozuna and Namiki Urushi #50 use the same size nib. I have the Urushi #50 but not the Danitrio Yokozuna.

Firstly, Nib cannot be classified as 'oversize' per se. A nib can be called huge, big etc. But oversize is used mainly for pens since there is a standard size.

Secondly, the pen is still made, and it was still made when I asked for it 5 months ago. You can contact nibs.com (U.S.) and they will be able to help you. Danitrio Yokozuna in plain urushi finish are made to order and general waiting time is 3 months or so.

Thirdly, the nib maker in Japan has an MOQ, which is difficult to meet. I would not comment on how much is it, but it's not low.

I would recommend Namiki Urushi #50 which is being sold for 8,000 yuan on Taobao whereas Danitrio MSRP is $3,000 iirc. It may be more.

Goodluck.

The nib maker doesn't have a MOQ, but their current available 50# models were too pricy(more than $8000) and I don't like the pattern on the pen body. Commission is also not possible currently.

I got 4 Emperors which includs all their past nib imprints so I don't think I will collect more of their plain urushi models unless they reissue the 14kt one.

I wil try contacting nibs.com to get a quote, hopefully Danitrio still got both 24kt and 18kt spare nibs in stock..

Goodluck.

Do you know any other in-house oversized nibs made in the past 20 years? I'm trying to get all of them. But I only know the following:

Pilot/Namiki Emperor, BBpens, Bock/JoWo based 8# nibs. Pelikan M1000, Romillo #9, Pilot 30#, Montblanc 149, Montblanc Heritage 1914 LE, Danitrio Yokozuna....

Oh, you already have the emperor? Then no sense in getting another one.

I remember reading (or hearing) that Danitrio discontinued 24k nibs.

Regarding the nib maker, $8000 is Maki-e range. I'm a bit confused, are we even referring to the same person? Because as far as I know, there is someone who only makes the nib and has nothing to do with the body of the pen it is used in.

Do you know any other in-house oversized nibs made in the past 20 years? I'm trying to get all of them. But I only know the following:

Pilot/Namiki Emperor, BBpens, Bock/JoWo based 8# nibs. Pelikan M1000, Romillo #9, Pilot 30#, Montblanc 149, Montblanc Heritage 1914 LE, Danitrio Yokozuna....

If you are expanding your search to #8 nib from #50, then there would be more options.

Delta Roma Imperiale oversize - made in the last 20 years and LE.

Sailor King of Pen

New Wahl-Eversharp Decoband

But overall range isn't as big as, say for #6 nib pens,

Edited by Mew

Oh, you already have the emperor? Then no sense in getting another one.

I remember reading (or hearing) that Danitrio discontinued 24k nibs.

Regarding the nib maker, $8000 is Maki-e range. I'm a bit confused, are we even referring to the same person? Because as far as I know, there is someone who only makes the nib and has nothing to do with the body of the pen it is used in.

Yeah, there's only one nib maker. And the pens with his nib I could find were all within the Maki-e range. I would gladly buy one if I could find one with plain urushi, ebonite or a maki-e theme that I preferred.

If you are expanding your search to #8 nib from #50, then there would be more options.

Delta Roma Imperiale oversize - made in the last 20 years and LE.

Sailor King of Pen

New Wahl-Eversharp Decoband

But overall range isn't as big as, say for #6 nib pens,

Delta is Bock based and Wahl should be JoWo based I think, but it's slightly different from JoWo #8. I need to check after I got my Wahl set.

KoP is surely one of the options. I got several KoPs now so I forgot to list it. There was a 3 or 8 LE made by Sailor for Natsume Sōseki. The nib was forged using traditional method. I wonder if that's an oversized one. Couldn't find a picture of that pen.

And yes, all #8 based in-house nibs are also my targets.

Edited by freakman

Yeah, there's only one nib maker. And the pens with his nib I could find were all within the Maki-e range. I would gladly buy one if I could find one with plain urushi, ebonite or a maki-e theme that I preferred.

You are having an interesting discussion here! :)

Are you able to reveal the name of the maker of nibs to whom you refer? I am curious as despite some googling it isn't clear to me.

TIA.

I think Shawn Newton is able to source a bespoke custom made nib for his pens. Edited by da vinci

So BB pen, Bock, and Jowo are not really "in house" nibs. Other than the Yokozuna pen, ther rest of modern Dani nib are Bock. The Wahl Eversharp nib is Bock, I am pretty sure.

If you want to count BB, then inclde the Bexley Giant pens with their #12 nibs. Although those pens wereadequate in 1995 if I remember correctly, so more than 20 years now.

If you need a BB pen nib, I think I saw one on Martini auctions recently.

Let's us kow if you get a Yokozuna as a plain usushi one is about the last Danitrio I need for my collection.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

So BB pen, Bock, and Jowo are not really "in house" nibs. Other than the Yokozuna pen, ther rest of modern Dani nib are Bock. The Wahl Eversharp nib is Bock, I am pretty sure.

If you want to count BB, then inclde the Bexley Giant pens with their #12 nibs. Although those pens wereadequate in 1995 if I remember correctly, so more than 20 years now.

If you need a BB pen nib, I think I saw one on Martini auctions recently.

Let's us kow if you get a Yokozuna as a plain usushi one is about the last Danitrio I need for my collection.

I ran into an interesting discussion last night. And there might be a new kind of in-house oversized nib released in September.

I was trying to find the Bexley Giant, but I've never seen one for sale.

Will update if I ordered a Yokozuna with plain urushi. The 24K and 18K nib has slightly different shape I think. There were at least 2 of these 24K plain urushi Yokozunas, but I don't know if they were sold or not.

Link:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/83539-what-if-i-make-this-a-limited-edition/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/296554-japanese-eyedroppers/

And yes, Wahl are Bock based, I remembered it wrong. But their length seemed to be slightly longer. Maybe their housing is different?

Edited by freakman

The BB pen was harder for me to find than the Bexley Giant. A few years ago a few of the Giant prototype colors seemed to pop up on eBay. Sadly I was short on my bids as I did not realize how rare they were at the time.

The Bexley Prometheus (the original release piston filler) used a Jowo #8 specially tuned by a Japanese nib meister. Maybe worth pursuing.

The BB pen was harder for me to find than the Bexley Giant. A few years ago a few of the Giant prototype colors seemed to pop up on eBay. Sadly I was short on my bids as I did not realize how rare they were at the time.

The Bexley Prometheus (the original release piston filler) used a Jowo #8 specially tuned by a Japanese nib meister. Maybe worth pursuing.

Newton discontinued their oversized bespoke nibs. Any ideas how to find them?

It is tough since they were all on custom pens and people tend to hold on to those pens. Maybe Shawn is building a list for custom nibs?

Delta is Bock based and Wahl should be JoWo based I think, but it's slightly different from JoWo #8. I need to check after I got my Wahl set.

KoP is surely one of the options. I got several KoPs now so I forgot to list it. There was a 3 or 8 LE made by Sailor for Natsume Sōseki. The nib was forged using traditional method. I wonder if that's an oversized one. Couldn't find a picture of that pen.

And yes, all #8 based in-house nibs are also my targets.

I checked around and indeed Delta is bock based but no idea about Wahl.

Do you have any link for KOP Natsume Sōseki?

I ran into an interesting discussion last night. And there might be a new kind of in-house oversized nib released in September.

I was trying to find the Bexley Giant, but I've never seen one for sale.

Will update if I ordered a Yokozuna with plain urushi. The 24K and 18K nib has slightly different shape I think. There were at least 2 of these 24K plain urushi Yokozunas, but I don't know if they were sold or not.

Link:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/83539-what-if-i-make-this-a-limited-edition/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/296554-japanese-eyedroppers/

And yes, Wahl are Bock based, I remembered it wrong. But their length seemed to be slightly longer. Maybe their housing is different?

Honestly, I would still recommend against a Danitrio.

There are problems with the nib and feed being set loosely and I think the housing is a bit bigger than the nib unit. The problems are not apparent if you dip test the pen but if you fill it up and write a couple of pages, you would encounter flow problems. This is true for the models apart from Yokozuna. Not many people have that pen so I cannot verify.

Plus customer support is terrible, they just replace the nib and feed which doesn't solve the problem.

This is the reason why aesthetic bay from Singapore dropped them.

Honestly, I would still recommend against a Danitrio.

There are problems with the nib and feed being set loosely and I think the housing is a bit bigger than the nib unit. The problems are not apparent if you dip test the pen but if you fill it up and write a couple of pages, you would encounter flow problems. This is true for the models apart from Yokozuna. Not many people have that pen so I cannot verify.

Plus customer support is terrible, they just replace the nib and feed which doesn't solve the problem.

This is the reason why aesthetic bay from Singapore dropped them.

Danitrio use the same nib, feeder and housing like the original one. And I agree with you with their smaller nibs. I got one and has flow problems.

Natsume Sōseki is a Sailor pen made for Maruzen with MSRP 1.2 Million Yen. But I could not find any information about it other than a few lines in 趣味文具箱. Guess it was too limited.