Anything Special Needed To Restore This Pen?

eharriett

there's nothing wrong with your English mitto - very good indeed. ................ apart from the mishap I've just related, I'd never had a problem with a hair drier before, and I've undone scores of pens using the same machine.............. so I think the fault lies with the pen and not the workman :D

I probably wouldn't use a heat gun, as I've heard some horrific tales of damage to pens, but must perhaps look into trying some form of temperature control. It's very depressing when you damage what is otherwise an almost perfect pen.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• FarmBoy

• PaulS

• ac12

It's very depressing when you damage what is otherwise an almost perfect pen.

...and there isn't a good pen mechanic on the planet who hasn't been there many times over!

Pen repair has a learning curve, and opening any pen always has some risks associated with it. Frank Dubiel used to say that if you are going to work on pens, you are going to break some pens. But with patience, experience you will move from breaking (or igniting) pens to where it is rare. That's why we recommend working on lower grade pens before you work on a Waterman Patrician. Patricians make me go into low speed, proceeding with care and all antennas up!

The maxim to follow is to go slow, and work from least aggressive to more aggressive in incremental steps.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I bought myself a small heat gun today. Just a cheap one from Amazon I hope it will be OK. :)

Really, a noncontact IR thermometer is an excellent investment if you use a heat gun.

Have a tub of water near by, to dunk the burning pen into.

Luckily I was in the bathroom, and put the burning pen under the faucet and turned on the water.

In my case it was a hard rubber pen that I ignited. Black smoke and STINK.

Oh my, you must have got that barrel very hot to ignite hard rubber! It is usually a very forgiving material.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Waterman lever fillers do not use j-bars. Use a latex sac. Leave the nib/feed assembly in the section, one rarely needs to remove either.

+ 1 with what Farmboy says!

UPDATE: Pen received in the mail. If I didn't know any better, I'd say this pen was used a couple of times when it was first bought, then stuffed in its box and forgotten about until this year. Removing the section was a piece of cake. Only the slightest effort was needed to twist it. The hardest part, really, was the top of the sac was sticking to the top of the pen and I had a bit of work to do to unstick it. There WAS ink in it that dried many, many decades ago. But the sac still seems tight. And it still has a real "Waterman's" stamp on it. Obviously original. The pressure bar is just fine. I've not even seen restored ones shine like this one does. No deterioration on the bottom either. WOW!!

So here's the only questions I have:

1. Should I replace and chuck the original sac anyway? (I assume yes due to age and the fact that it stuck to the top of the pen, but I'd love opinion). The sac seemed like a tight fit. Should I get one a bit smaller? After reading the comments above, I learned to just use latex and not bother with anything else.

2. I think the sac darkened the barrel from its original red to a black. Anyway to restore the red, or is this as red as it will ever be?

3. Bar is fine. Haven't written with it yet, but assuming the nib is fine. Also including the best pic I could get of the usually problematic bottom, but from what I can see it looks fine. Not perfect, but fine. Opinions? Is there anything else I need to look at before saying all is well?

I am not opposed to sending this out if I'm over my head. But really, I am trying to learn these skills.

Thanks all, for the education you are giving me. It is appreciated and being put to use.

if you intend to use this pen then yes, do replace the sac - old sacs weaken and the rubber breaks down and you don't want inky stuff everywhere one day, unexpectedly - don't ruin the ship for a ha'porth of tar'.

the rear end looks as though it might have the beginnings of decay - or at best it appears to have begun the process of crystalizing, so be very careful it doesn't suddenly drop off on you.

My opinion is that if you want to write with this one, don't take it out of the house - but, a nice pen whatever :) .

Yes, for sure replace the sac. The nib will polish up nicely with a precious metal cleaning cloth - I buy mine from a music store, brass players use them to polish their instruments. ;) Your pen is, I think, made of Lucite. if the barrel and the cap are the same colour, the red barrel end is correct and not the result of discolouration. They are prone to disintegration, it starts as crazing and if you notice that happening, keep the pen well away from others in your collection. It's a chemical reaction and can be contagious. If you are new to vintage pens, Waterman nibs are wonderful, enjoy!

Yes, for sure replace the sac. The nib will polish up nicely with a precious metal cleaning cloth - I buy mine from a music store, brass players use them to polish their instruments. ;) Your pen is, I think, made of Lucite. if the barrel and the cap are the same colour, the red barrel end is correct and not the result of discolouration. They are prone to disintegration, it starts as crazing and if you notice that happening, keep the pen well away from others in your collection. It's a chemical reaction and can be contagious. If you are new to vintage pens, Waterman nibs are wonderful, enjoy!

Actually this one is celluloid. I know I didn't show the barrel very well, but the markings definitely indicate this is third year or later. I have a cloth like that I'll try, but if it is an out gassing that caused the darkening, then it is a reaction. I was wondering if it can be undone.

This is my 4th of these with more at a professional restorer :)

You want to use dry heat when removing or inserting the section.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Sadly, out-gas darkened pens cannot be restored to their previous colour, they are that colour for good. Pen people would probably give a Nobel Prize for chemistry to anyone who could do that. Just think, no more darkened jade Sheaffers, Onyx Waterman or (not so) True Blue Parkers. Dream on.............

Sadly, out-gas darkened pens cannot be restored to their previous colour, they are that colour for good. Pen people would probably give a Nobel Prize for chemistry to anyone who could do that. Just think, no more darkened jade Sheaffers, Onyx Waterman or (not so) True Blue Parkers. Dream on.............

I think it would be a Hoover prize.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.