Collecting Montblanc Ink

BrandonA

That's an interesting thread I am sorry for not having noticed it earlier, just as the same thoughts have crossed my mind.

I think I can safely say that I currently have ALL the Montblanc inks, even the vintage ones. While I actually do use a lot of them, some are tragic mistakes that I acquired 'just because' and they'll sit in my drawers for eternity.

These include: UNICEF, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Shakespeare, Leo Tolstoy etc

Some have turned out to be gems: Diamond Blue, Collodi, Defoe, Miles Davis (in triple broad nibs), etc

But as of late, I have decided no more. Really. Diamine now has nearly every color one can imagine and they're safe, affordable, perform superbly and the new design bottle is quite appealing.

I find it interesting that you and I appear to have completely opposite reactions to the various inks. The reviews of both Miles Davis and UNICEF made me go "meh" (and I particularly disliked their marketing strategy with the latter: "Oh, we'll charge more money and then donate the proceeds"). And Shakespeare? I loved the idea in principle, but I've never found a red-leaning brown I cared for, including the look of that one.

But that's the great thing. There's enough variation in pens and inks that what you like and what I like CAN be radically different and there's room for everyone to play. :thumbup:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for some sort of formatting SNAFU

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Chrissy

• Erik Dalton

• Studio97

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find it interesting that you and I appear to have completely opposite reactions to the various inks. The reviews of both Miles Davis and UNICEF made me go "meh" (and I particularly disliked their marketing strategy with the latter: "Oh, we'll charge more money and then donate the proceeds"). And Shakespeare? I loved the idea in principle, but I've never found a red-leaning brown I cared for, including the look of that one.

But that's the great thing. There's enough variation in pens and inks that what you like and what I like CAN be radically different and there's room for everyone to play. :thumbup:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for some sort of formatting SNAFU

I think my wording was unclear hehe 😂 it seems that you and I DO agree in tastes (with the exception of Miles Davis, which you still have to try with a BBB+).

I have six MB inks and I use all of them. I don't collect inks but I use them but I record my inks. My favourite is Palm Green (Daniel Defoe) but I also very much like Toffee brown.

Edited by NicolausPiscator

This thread has made me reflect.

I see little point in purchasing limited edition inks with no intention of opening them. (That is why I always open the ink, if not the day I purchase it, within a few weeks/months).

However, the vast majority of limited editions MB inks I have purchased are quite impractical for use in a business context. Unfortunately, taking notes of a call/meeting in Miles Davis Blue or Shakespeare Red just doesn't look or feel right. Even a relatively sober colour like Saint-Exupery is still slightly informal/unusual.

So in practice, I think the only workable colours for me are midnight blue and mystery black, perhaps with corn poppy red for marking up some documents. I have been using the MB Twilight Blue Hour ink for the last year, but even that falls slightly short of the mark (it can't make up its mind whether its blue or green).

Business aside, from a sheer pleasure perspective, the MB limited edition inks I have had and enjoyed the most are the Seasons Greetings browns and White Forest greens from 2006-09, but in truth I think that is more a case of nostalgia than anything else.

That's an interesting thread I am sorry for not having noticed it earlier, just as the same thoughts have crossed my mind.

I think I can safely say that I currently have ALL the Montblanc inks, even the vintage ones. While I actually do use a lot of them, some are tragic mistakes that I acquired 'just because' and they'll sit in my drawers for eternity.

These include: UNICEF, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Shakespeare, Leo Tolstoy etc

Some have turned out to be gems: Diamond Blue, Collodi, Defoe, Miles Davis (in triple broad nibs), etc

But as of late, I have decided no more. Really. Diamine now has nearly every color one can imagine and they're safe, affordable, perform superbly and the new design bottle is quite appealing.

It seems a shame that some inks might sit in your drawers for eternity when other writers would probably be desperate to buy them from you :o

I can relate. I go back and forth about whether it is worth buying this or that limited edition bottle.

I would kill for a bottle of Leonardo red chalk or diamond blue! unfortunately a color that has grown on me, I only own one bottle of, having sold the second: jonathan swift. I wish it was possible to try the Saint-Exupery ink. In some photos it looks ravishing, in others quite off-putting...

I can relate. I go back and forth about whether it is worth buying this or that limited edition bottle.

I would kill for a bottle of Leonardo red chalk or diamond blue! unfortunately a color that has grown on me, I only own one bottle of, having sold the second: jonathan swift. I wish it was possible to try the Saint-Exupery ink. In some photos it looks ravishing, in others quite off-putting...

In my view (having tried Saint-Exupery ink and currently staring at some notes on my desk written with it), the ink is neither here nor there and mildly schizophrenic.

It's definitely not a brown. On the paper I have, it looks maroon - like a GB passport colour, but slightly pinker. In fact, I was washing out my pen yesterday in the sink and my wife exclaimed "Why have you been using pink ink!" - admittedly it did look pink when coming out into the sink, somewhat diluted.

In my view (having tried Saint-Exupery ink and currently staring at some notes on my desk written with it), the ink is neither here nor there and mildly schizophrenic.

It's definitely not a brown. On the paper I have, it looks maroon - like a GB passport colour, but slightly pinker. In fact, I was washing out my pen yesterday in the sink and my wife exclaimed "Why have you been using pink ink!" - admittedly it did look pink when coming out into the sink, somewhat diluted.

Yes the Saint-Exupéry ink is really weird and impossible to define clearly which color it is... and from one paper to another the color is different. Not my favorite one but at least in my Saint-Exupéry pen it writes well. It is not the case with my JFK and the Miles Davis. The Miles Davis I tried it only in my Miles Davis pen but I have lot of issue during when writing (for some letters and mainly 't' or 'l' and the '.') I have to write 2 or 3 times before it is ok on the paper. I have the same issue with JFK ink but I tried it in several pens (the JFK, 149 and maybe another one) and each time the same issue. So I don't know if there is an issue with my bottle of JFK and Miles Davis inks but I stop trying to use them. And in the JFK and Miles pens with another ink no issue.

My thoughts exactly regarding the AdSE ink. I am unable to ascertain what color it is and since I always have Lavender Purple in my rotation, the need for it altogether is not there.

About the Miles Davis, like the Oyster Grey it really needs a wet BB, OBB or OBBB to be functional for me and bring out a gorgeous color.

That being said, because I live in a hot climate it appears that the accelerant in my inks tends to evaporate rather quick. So I dab a toothpick in dishwashing liquid and then insert it for a second in the ink bottles and OMG what a flow I get onwards.

As somebody who's expecting Exupery ink in the mail, why is it a tragic mistake? It looks wonderful from the pictures I've seen online. Thanks.

As somebody who's expecting Exupery ink in the mail, why is it a tragic mistake? It looks wonderful from the pictures I've seen online. Thanks.

Ink - as with any colour - is entirely subjective, so don't let others put you off! I think the ink will differ depending on how you intend to write with the it (including the nib, flow and paper).

As a general observation to take us back to the original post: with limited edition ink now being £30/bottle, it means that you are taking more of a gamble when buying the ink (if it turns out that you don't like it and dispose of the bottle and/or have bought multiple bottles of the same ink).

I used to buy a couple of bottles of the LE inks when they were between £11 and £15. Now they are £30, I have to make a decision whether to buy one or not. :mellow:

Most of my LE inks have been offered to me by my reseller when I bought the fountain pen associated (Miles Davis, JFK, UNICEF, Saint-Exupery) but indeed the price becomes little bit expensive... I just bought 2 other UNICEF bottles because I like so much turquoise ink color so I want to have a little stock for the future.

Recently I've begun to started to gravitate towards "safer inks". My Montblanc Inks are starting to get used again. Have Burgundy Red, Corn Poppy Red, Lavender Purple, Irish Green, Midnight Blue,

Royal Blue, Black, and my all time favorite JFK Navy Blue. While I only have one or two bottles of the others, I have 8 bottles of JFK, and I use it all the time. Too bad they are not still making it.

Recently I've begun to started to gravitate towards "safer inks". My Montblanc Inks are starting to get used again. Have Burgundy Red, Corn Poppy Red, Lavender Purple, Irish Green, Midnight Blue,

Royal Blue, Black, and my all time favorite JFK Navy Blue. While I only have one or two bottles of the others, I have 8 bottles of JFK, and I use it all the time. Too bad they are not still making it.

You can still find the JFK ink on the online webshop of Montblanc: http://www.montblanc.com/en-be/collection/refills/writing-accessories/111409-Ink-Bottle-JFK-Blue-Navy,-30-ml.html for example but it seems not available on the US webshop. With which pen do you use the JFK?

Edited by Cyrille

I wish I had bought 8 bottles of Hitchcock.... :D

I have 4 bottles of hitchcock, because I always thought I would buy the pen... still do.

Have 4 Diamond blues also and 55 bottles of special MB inks. I usually buy 2 bottles of new colors, but like most here fear falling in love with one color that won't be around for long, like I have with Hitchcock, Diamond Blue and Red Chalk.

I remember a thread here a while back calling Ink Collectors, hoarders... and folks should have respect for others and only buy one jar of special inks... so I never really bragged about my collection ... LOL.

I only have 3 bottles of MB ink and one that should ship soon. I have 12 total bottles of ink. Hoarding maybe and i have enough notebooks and art supplies to open two stores but i dont sell off any of it. I could see maybe a couple of LE inks in the future after my Skakespeare ink arrives. This never really stops.

I absolutely love mine. It is probably in the top 10 of my favorite ink & I have over 480 bottles of ink. I had it in my Pelikan M600 & it was a perfect combination.