The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Platinum PK-500

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 15:36

First Impressions (4/5)
I saw this in an eBay auction: Platinum, NOS, fine nib. good looks, so I took chance. It arrived in the original Platinum gift box. When I opened the box, it was a little slimmer than I expected and a little longer. No problem there, the length made it comfortable to hold, sort of like a desk pen.

Appearance (4/5)
The forest green plastic body contrasts nicely with the gold plated cap. There is a small gold band near the end of the barrel, which has a concave gold “jewel” inset into the end of the barrel. The section and barrel thread together nearly seamlessly. The clip, which insets into the top of the cap has a ridge running down the center of the clip. It looks nice, makes a good impression. I think it has a bit of a modern, streamlined look from the ‘50s.

Design/Size/Weight (4/5)
This is a very light pen. I was surprised at how light the metal cap feels. The balance is excellent when posted. The construction of the metal cap feels a little flimsy to me, but is probably well made. It has a slip clutch which closes firmly when closed or posted. The pen is 5 3/4” long when closed and 6” long when posted.

Nib (4.5/5)
It has a 14K fine nib. The nib is not hooded, but is fairly small. This would be considered extra fine by Western standards. It’s not a wet writer, but isn’t dry either. The ink used could probably push it in either direction. It writes very smoothly and was exactly what I was hoping for from a Japanese fountain pen.

Filling System (3/5)
It came with a few Platinum cartridges and did not come with a converter. I don’t know whether finding a converter will be easy or not. There’s a steel ball in the cartridge which I can hear rolling around when I pick up the pen or turn it over.

Cost and Value (4.5/5)
This cost me $18 plus shipping in an eBay auction, so I think it was a pretty good deal considering its pedigree and the quality of its nib.

Conclusion (4/5)
I’m very pleased with this purchase. It’s a bit of modern history, looks nice and is an excellent writer for times when a very fine line is desired.

Top photo from http://www.platinumplace.tc/

Edited by jonro, 26 May 2007 - 15:38.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content

|