The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

An Estie That I Was Given

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,593 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 00:05

You can also put some pencil graphite in a bag, smash it till it's a fine powder, and coat the sac with that.

It won't hurt your pen....

110% satisfaction guaranteed.

Or get a tube of powdered graphite at the hardware store; it's often used to lubricate lock mechanisms.

What will the graphite do to the sac?

Edited by pajaro, 17 August 2017 - 00:06.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Sponsored Content

#22 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:05

I've always considered pure graphite to be inert. In grad school we made graphite molds for casting copper and brass billets. (But that was back in the 1960s.)

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#23 teryg93

teryg93

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:06

Thanks for all the advice. I'm actually wondering whether I would be better off having the 3 best pens in the batch--the Estie and two Sheaffers--checked and serviced by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm in Delaware, so the US would be better for me. Does anyone know of a shop somewhere near Philadelphia, perhaps, that might service both Esties and Sheaffers? Failing that, I could send them to someone who knows both types of pens. Or send them to two different repair people. I'd like to contact them in advance to see what it might cost to get the pens serviced.

I haven't done anything to the Estie yet. I don't want to damage it or anything I put it in. I've inked the Sheaffers and they write decently, but I think they might both be far better if they were serviced beyond the cleaning I gave them. 

#24 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:56

What will the graphite do to the sac?

it should not do anything....

I remember seeing this on Mr. Binder's website somewhere...

I restored a Wearever about a year ago, and it ain't doing anything weird....

I don't blame you if ya don' wanna do it.

"   H M M M . . .  I  l i k e s   i t !    "

#25 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:04

If the Sheaffers are cartridge pens, then don't send 'em off.

If you want to send them off....

Ya could ship 'em to Mr. Danny Fudge.

(No affiliation, blah blah blah, etc.)

Now IF the Sheaffers are cart pens, I'd say just throw the nib sections in a cup o' water and forget about for a week.

Older pens can be real dirty sometimes...

I hope that helps, Al.

#26 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:51

I recall seeing a number of discussions, and I think that pure graphite is used commonly in the UK.  I think that some of the Grandmia demonstration videos on YouTube have used graphite for the same purpose as pure talc.

#27 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 22:06

Your right!!

Now I remember.

#28 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:41

Talc can be so difficult to find...

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#29 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,593 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2017 - 20:53

Huge issue, talc vs. graphite.  I am on the edge of my rocking chair.  Whichever you use, you might be careful not to breathe this stuff or get it frequently on your skin.  My father-in-law died of skin cancer because of contact with talc.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#30 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:49

Thanks for the advice...

Al.

#31 teryg93

teryg93

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2017 - 16:09

I decided to send both the Estie and the Sheaffer Snorkel off to be checked and serviced. Both have sacs. I haven't inked the Estie at all, but did ink the Snorkel. It writes a little rough, so I'll have that looked at too. I get the sense that these are both going to be pens I like a lot when they're up to snuff. 

#32 teryg93

teryg93

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2017 - 19:22

The pens are on their way to Danny Fudge. Already looking forward to getting them back :-). 

#33 JWil

JWil

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2017 - 16:51

I'm just a layman but wouldn't cornstarch work the same as talc? Or does the talc displace moisture?

"My wife will probably kill me if I drag her to another antique store looking for FP's......."

#34 jspen765

jspen765

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 22:48

Cornstarch is a carbohydrate, read food.  It provides a good growing medium for all kinds of things I don't want growing in my pens. Especially if any moisture gets there.

Talc and carbon powder are both pretty inert.  Carbon is black and messy.  Talc is white and aesthetically better.  I have a little jar of talc I have been using for 7 years and a few hundred pens. 

All micronized powders are bad to breath.  Miner's lung results for enough carbon, cancer for talc.  Don't breathe them. Use a little bit (a dusting) and keep it in the pen as much as possible.  

#35 JWil

JWil

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:53

Cornstarch is a carbohydrate, read food.  It provides a good growing medium for all kinds of things I don't want growing in my pens. Especially if any moisture gets there.

Thank you for the clarification. 

"My wife will probably kill me if I drag her to another antique store looking for FP's......."

Sponsored Content

|