Leaking Pilot Mr..?

Pendarion

Ages ago (and no doubt past its warranty even if I could remember where I bought it) I got a Pilot MR (European version of the Metropolitan). It's a cartridge pen although last week I bought the right converter.

And although I really liked the nib, and found it comfortable - and I have tiny hands so I don't find many FPs just right for me - I somehow sidelined it.

Anyway recently got it back out, with a view to maybe adding a converter and trying my new Diamine Registrars' in it. As it's a Medium that writes fairly fine, and also the nib/feed can be totally removed to be cleaned.

I used a standard international cartridge in it (not Pilot's own brand as the European ones take the standard cartridges) and lo and behold, it leaked. Not a little. A lot. The entire cartridge worth of ink was, the next day, dumped in the pen top. Really annoying.

I pulled it apart, cleaned it and put it back together. Being careful to line up the feed centrally to the slit in the nib. Again - another leak. By the next day, about half the cartridge.

A quick look online told me that people have had problems not pushing the feed and nib right back as far as they'll go, into the section. So I tried that, this time. No leak for a day. Then a miniscule leak. I took the cap of and placed it in a small bottle, upright to see how much it leaked and also see if I could figure out where the ink is coming from.

But today - again - it has dumped most of the cartridge out.

Now I am pretty sure it is not leaking from round the cartridge. It is somewhere on the nib. Or the bottom of the section... I looked with a magnifier but I can't see any hairline cracks.

I really want to use this pen as I find it comfortable to use and I like the nib. I don't have any other Pilot pens I can make a Frankenpen with. I thought I'd solved it when I pushed the feed really as far as it could possibly go into the section but it only stayed continent a couple of days. And am still not sure where it's leaking from.

Anyone got any ideas? Or is it a lemon?

Edited by Pendarion

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pendarion

• Sasha Royale

• tamiya

Top Posters In This Topic

From my reading and from my experience, "International Standard" offers very LOOSE standards.

It was fun to measure, and it satisfied my curiosity, but disillusioning. This "size" of cartridge appears

in all markets, with origins of China, India, Germany, Japan, etc. There is even a manufacturer in Slovenia. The cartridge nipple diameter varies 10% among manufacturers.

It could be that this cartridge is a loose fit, and not sealing. :doh: I suggest that you try various brands, be loyal to the brand that fits best.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

From my reading and from my experience, "International Standard" offers very LOOSE standards.

It was fun to measure, and it satisfied my curiosity, but disillusioning. This "size" of cartridge appears

in all markets, with origins of China, India, Germany, Japan, etc. There is even a manufacturer in Slovenia. The cartridge nipple diameter varies 10% among manufacturers.

It could be that this cartridge is a loose fit, and not sealing. :doh: I suggest that you try various brands, be loyal to the brand that fits best.

Thanks for your answer! I didn't realise they could vary so much, so it could be that. Although it's flooding out somewhere (I can't seem to figure out precisely where) on the nib, or where the nib fits into the section. Would a not-tight fit on the cartridge make it leak at that point, or higher?

I have used Herbin cartridges - will see if I have a different sort, or try it with the new converter.

My MRs came with converters in their box. They're unbranded but I'd believe they're made by Pilot, no problems with leakage.

I generally use long cartridges in the MR rather than short internationals. No burps, behaves well.

Cheers, tamiya

I just got a Schmidt converter and last night filled it with water (just in case). So far no leaks so I've been brave this morning and put some Diamine Vermillion in there. So far so good....

When it leaked with a cartridge it either leaked almost instantly or took a day or so then suddenly dumped everything in the cartridge, so am not out of the woods yet. But I really want this pen to be OK as I find it so nice to write with and don't want to risk buying another MR (Because they're around or over £20 - probably dearer in the UK than in most places). Although I know one bad experience with a pen doesn't mean a lot as the odd lemon is going to get through and it's just bad luck when it happens with your first pen from a new-to-you manufacturer. Even so. I do really like the Retro Pops, and they are everything I love in a pen - smooth nib, small-ish, metal body, cigar shaped... If this MR is now OK I'll feel more confident about buying another one!

Edited by Pendarion