The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How To Clean The Lingmo Lorelei's Section?

lingmo lorelei

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vanarts

vanarts

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2017 - 19:57

Hi everyone,

After the first fill of ink had finished, I decided to disassemble my Lingmo Lorelei fountain pen today to clean it up. Everything seemed easy till I saw that after a flush at the section, the inside of the section still looked stained. I found out that inside the section was a transparent case that houses the feed and nib. No matter how hard I tried to pull this case out, it did not come out. It doesn't seem to be attached to the inside of the section by threads like the Jinhao 992 though. I wonder if it's somehow glued to the section, but basically both water and ink got trapped between this case and the inside of the section. I don't know if anyone has tried to open this fountain pen for cleaning yet and can give me some advice. The ink stain bothers me so much so I just have to get in there  :D!

Thanks in advance! 

Sponsored Content

#2 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 20:04

Seele did a good youtube clip on these, have a look:

https://www.youtube....h?v=-BhEOLnq25w

ps - you really don't need to be disassembling your pens to clean them -  esp. if it was only the first fill!

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#3 vanarts

vanarts

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2017 - 20:27

Oh thanks, but I watched the video and he didn't take the section of the Lingmo Lorelei apart (only the Jinhao got disassembled).

I really had to disassemble my pen to clean because it was reddish permanent ink and I wanted to fill it with something totally different now. 

I'd appreciate more advice on this matter.

Edited by vanarts, 09 August 2017 - 20:34.

#4 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Forum Squirrel

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:06

It took a little muscle and some twisting, but my nib and feed came out. Right now I'm playing with a Pilot nib in my Lorelei.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#5 Seele

Seele

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:38

The Lorelei has a regular friction fit nib/feed so it just needs to be pulled out, perhaps with a little bit of wiggling.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

#6 vanarts

vanarts

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:18

Thanks guys! I could pull the nib and feed out for cleaning without much force needed, but as said, ink got stuck between the transparent case/sleeve and the inside of the section. I soaked it overnight but it's still there. I still haven't managed to pull this case out yet :(

#7 grainweevil

grainweevil

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 953 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 14:33

It's inked presently, so a little awkward, but looking at mine there really doesn't seem to be any sleeve between the nib 'n' feed and the section. Could there have been a design change to the Lorelei?

Anyway, fwiw, when there's similarly inaccessible but visible ink in Pelikan M2xxs, I remove the nib and feed, put my thumb over the end of the section, and use the piston to suck it out. Substitute a rubber ear syringe for the piston to create the vacuum and it might work in this instance too, perhaps. Can need a few goes of cycling water in and out to shift it, but generally it's quite effective. 

#8 vanarts

vanarts

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2017 - 19:42

grainweevil, do you have the demonstrator? It's designed completely differently from the solid version with flakes. My demonstrator doesn't have the sleeve either.

Anyway, I managed to pull it out finally after using my nail as a lever at the head of the section and pushing a chopstick at the end of the section, phew! Now it's all clean and shiny! :)

#9 grainweevil

grainweevil

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 953 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:48

Ah, that'll be it then; I hadn't realised they differed. I take it that the ink is showing through the lighter flakes?

#10 TruthPil

TruthPil

More flex, please!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:56

grainweevil, do you have the demonstrator? It's designed completely differently from the solid version with flakes. My demonstrator doesn't have the sleeve either.

Anyway, I managed to pull it out finally after using my nail as a lever at the head of the section and pushing a chopstick at the end of the section, phew! Now it's all clean and shiny! :)

Thanks for being brave and finding a way to get the sleeve out of the section. 

You are write, the opaque versions are designed completely differently than the demonstrators. I hate how the clear sleeve on the opaque versions sticks out of the end of the barrel. I didn't realize it in the pictures until I got one and thought they had forgot to push the nib and feed all the way in or something. :headsmack: 

When you put the plastic sleeve back into the barrel, were you able to push it all the way in or does about 1mm still stick out the front?

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#11 Mpheenan

Mpheenan

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:57

I'm so glad you figured this out! I have had the same problem, and came here looking for the answer. You are braver than me, however. I'm not sure I'm up to forcing that sleeve out of the section. I did manage to get about 95 percent of the ink out of the gap by flushing it with a syringe. Fortunately, the ink alllllmost matches the section, so it looks like a color variation. 

#12 TruthPil

TruthPil

More flex, please!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:58

Although I thought it looked ugly at first, the clear part sticking out the section has grown on me. It functions like an ink view window; as long as I can see ink in it, I know I can keep on writing.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Sponsored Content

|