The Most Water Resistant (Part Diamine) Ink Colours

matteob

Hello everyone can anyone recommend some non iron gall/ pigment inks that are reasonably water resistant, particularly blues and blacks? I use Noodlers ink but I have bought some Clirefontaine Triomphe writing paper and Noodlers does not like it at all. I have the Diamine Sapphire Blue which is reasonably water resistant. Can anyone point to any others?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matteob

• Chrissy

• Intensity

• Olya

Pilot Blue-Black and DeAtramentis Document inks - any color are not iron gall and permanent

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

Hello everyone can anyone recommend some non iron gall/ pigment inks that are reasonably water resistant, particularly blues and blacks? I use Noodlers ink but I have bought some Clirefontaine Triomphe writing paper and Noodlers does not like it at all. I have the Diamine Sapphire Blue which is reasonably water resistant. Can anyone point to any others?

If you look in the Ink Review Forum for specific inks, the reviewers will always say whether an ink has good water resistance or not. Diamine Majestic Blue, Sargasso Sea, Tchaikovsky and Regency Blue are all water resistant blues :)

I bought the De Atramentis Document Ink and tbh not very impressed. It is permanent but very bland on the page, almost chalky. I found out that it is nanoparticle though. I hope it won't clog my pen either though the flow is pretty good.Are those Diamines you mention more permanent than the Sapphire Blue?

Edited by matteob

I don't use any pigment based inks in my pens. I tend to leave inks in my pens for a while, and you can't do that with pigment based inks. :mellow:

The Diamine inks I mentioned are dye based, but water resistant, and won't clog your pens. :)

I know it's a partially-bulletproof ink, but I have no issues with Noodler's Airforce Blue-Black (kind of a green-teal-black) on Clairefontaine Triompe paper. I've used it in Fine, Medium, and 0.8mm cursive italic nib pens. What sorts of issues are you referring to, maybe I can test for them?

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

If I remember right, Asa Blue has also quite good water resistance.

If you're up to it, you could do what I have been considering doing (but as I have little need for permanent ink, I haven't tried it and don't quite plan to anytime soon; when I do need permanent ink I switch to ballpens):

Mix a little bit of pigment ink with regular dye ink, maybe a 1:9 ratio. So you have some permanence (water & light proof), but not the fuss of regular pigment inks, as it's only a bit of pigment ink.

I think mixing would be easily done; I have successfully mixed Sailor & Pilot ink with Monteverde, Quink, Diamine, J Herbin, Pelikan (no issues whatsoever as some fear because of pH or whatever).

@intensity: mainly the ink not fully absorbing into the paper and leading to smudging even after being left for a while: Heart of Darkness and Britannia Blue at any rate.

@intensity: mainly the ink not fully absorbing into the paper and leading to smudging even after being left for a while: Heart of Darkness and Britannia Blue at any rate.

Oh definitely no issues with that. I'll time how long Airforce Blue Black takes to dry.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”