The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Wahl Eversharp Coronet Pencil With Stiff Action

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RonLyke

RonLyke

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:46

I have a Wahl Eversharp Coronet pencil with a very stiff action. It works, but the button is quite hard to push. What's a good way to loosen this? (I posted this in the pencil forum, but got no replies.)

Edited by RonLyke, 09 August 2017 - 20:07.

Sponsored Content

#2 GCS93

GCS93

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2017 - 20:56

I've got the same issue on the one I found with some pens (see european pens forum).

I'll let you know if I can cure it. I'm sure it's possible, but I'll have to study the mechanism first. :)

EDIT: Can't figure out how to disassemble :rolleyes:

EDIT2: Can't quite see how I didn't manage earlier!

Step 1: Take "eraser-knob" off

Step 2: unscrew tip where the lead comes out.

Step 3: push mechanism from the front to the back. - The whole thing should slide out of the rear of the pen easily.

I've cleaned the barrel with a Q-tip and it seems to work quite a bit better now. Just need to get hold of the right size leads now.

Edited by GCS93, 13 August 2017 - 23:59.

#3 RonLyke

RonLyke

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2017 - 23:13

Thanks

#4 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 23:19

GCS93, I think these pencils take a 1.1 mm lead.  I was recently gifted one that was in need of a little TLC and it's now working.

#5 jonveley

jonveley

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2017 - 19:33

As originally designed, the mechanisms were designed to have spare leads in the top part which would fall one by one into the feeder.  They tend to gum up over the years, so the first step is to be sure all the spare leads are out and the mechanism is empty.  You can run a paper clip up through the front end while pushing the button to clear out anything else.

They take 1.1mm lead in general (there are a few .9s out there, but not many).  I sell most grades at The Legendary Lead Company.  http://www.legendaryleadcompany.com

#6 RonLyke

RonLyke

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:29

Thanks, Jon. You spotted the incorrect button on this pencil for me at the DC show--I'm still looking for a replacement. 

Sponsored Content

|