My D.c. Ink Haul

eharriett

Well, we look forward to seeing the inks - and I like the cat better than the Charlie.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• torstar

• amberleadavis

• TSherbs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, we look forward to seeing the inks - and I like the cat better than the Charlie.

They leave stains with the same frequency.

Looking forward to the review. Personally, since pen, paper, etc have an effect on feathering, drytime, etc, I don't pay all that much attention to it. I much rather have a nice crisp writing sample showcasing the color. And since this is one of those fancy noodler's, indestructiblity tests are always fun: water, bleach, paint thinner, fire... maybe not fire....

oh geez, don't remind me about a feline "protest" thinking outside the box...

Wish I had been able to go -- even with the apparent snafus. But the date change made for a scheduling conflict. :( (Although, frankly, I'd much rather have been in DC geeking about pens than what I had to do on Sunday -- which was spending the entire afternoon at meetings (except for the one I got the time wrong and missed -- and then had someone b*tch* me out when I said maybe it was just as well I missed it so I wouldn't get into it again with someone I had a problem from last year: I was told it was a violation of the organization's new "anti-bullying/anti-harassment" policy just instituted, when in truth I was hoping to DE-escalate the situation.... I could have told the person that, but it was clear she wasn't remotely interested in my side of the story or my point of view. :angry:)

Mostly when I've been to the DC show in the past, I was just buying day passes for Saturday and Sunday -- so just tickets to get in. For other, smaller shows (Ohio, Commonwealth and Triangle) I certainly put my screen name on the pass -- that way people know who I am. I was expecting that for DC as well, from conferences I've attended over the years, but I just was given tickets (I'll admit that I used to wonder how the security people from the hotel could keep track of all the crowds when only the weekend traders and vendors had name tags).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Still giggling.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I've never seen Violet Vote in a 4.5oz bottle either! It's definitely my default ink for two reasons.

1. Over 10 years ago it was the ink that brought me back to my love of calligraphy, lettering, and fountain pens when I was a kid. I worked in a lab since I was 14, and I always had to make sure all labels and notes were imperviious to water, alcohol, acetone, UV, extrremely cold temperters down to -140C, and occasionally bleach, acid, and sometimes, high intensity lasers. I also neede a pen that I could cap one-handed. I'll never forget the day in graduate school when I postdoc introduced me to Noodler's Bullet Proof Inks and Pilot Vanishing caps. Just like that, my addiction habit was restored.

2. The first bottle of ink had to be bulletproof, and had to be purple, my favorite color. I had bought two bottles of Iraqi Vote, as it was called then, and it was smitten.

I noticed that in some places, Violet Vote is listed as a limited edition for 2016. I know for certain that I ifrst purchaed the ink in 2009 to match the purple limited edition vanishing point that was my most treasured possession (and sadly lost in a chaotic move//breakup/theft situation.

I definitely see how others wouldn't like it as much. I prefer the purples that aer more blue on the spectrum and this fits the bill. It's also completely bullet by every single chemical and physical stress my crazy postdoc friend and I could muster including all the ones listed above.

I hear that the coler will never be made again because the materials are difficut to come by. If anyone wants to offload a bottle, I'd be happy to snatch it up. I'd be really sad if I didn't have access to it on demand or see it on my shelf

• 2 years later...

Reviving one of my own posts to give an update should google ever send people to this thread for the info. This is in regards to the Noodlers Red Oak Garnet. Although I just realized I never did do that review. Ok. Fine. I’ll get it done.

Anyway, there’s no info on where this came from anywhere. So I had a chance to ask Nathan Tardif today at the 2019 Commonwealth Pen Show.

He remembered it. He said he had just a little bit of dye to play with to make it, and could never get anymore, otherwise it would have seen regular production. He said he was asked to make it for a shop in Germany (if he mentioned which shop, I did not catch it). He said they asked him to do something special with the bottle, which is why those bottles had the oak leaves on the outside of the bottle and are unique to that run. But they were about two dozen bottles sent to the German market and that’s all there is.

A review shall come soon, but if you have seen the Lamy Vibrant pink, you’ve seen this ink with less shading.

Hi google search user! Welcome to FPN.