Massdrop Quality Control

Vunter

I've purchased several pens from Massdrop and so far two pens I purchased had quality control issues and wondering how everyone else's experience with them has been? Most recently I purchased an Italix Churchman Prescriptor with a medium cursive stub nib; the tip of one tine is higher than the other and on the other tip of the tine it has a dent in it. So not only does it write scratchy but it also doesn't even come close to writing like stub.

I kinda screwed myself by waiting several months to ink it up since Massdrop probably won't return it or exchange it. I know Mr.Pen warranties the pens for 12months, but not sure if a pen purchased from Massdrop would be eligible. I sent Mr.Pen an inquiry and waiting to hear back; hopefully, they'll replace the nib.

Anyways just want to know the experience people have had with Massdrop.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Vunter

• ParkerDuofold

• flipper_gv

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1) You can fix tines alignment VERY easily by yourself. What do you mean by a dent in the nib?

2) Pay bottom price, receive bottom service. Massdrop doesn't do quality control at all IIRC. Some times I've ordered from them, the package was sent directly by the manufacturer.

3) I've been lucky and had good experiences with Massdrop.

I'm under the impression Massdrop doesn't really know what they are selling, much less inspect the products; I've only had one experience with them, and it was a good one, even though they didn't know whether a FC Ambition included the converter (lower end models didn't, higher end like the pearwood did)

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

If Massdrop don't have the pens in stock, and dispatch comes straight from the manufacturer, then surely QC is down to the manufacturer. :glare:

I've purchased several pens from Massdrop and so far two pens I purchased had quality control issues and wondering how everyone else's experience with them has been? Most recently I purchased an Italix Churchman Prescriptor with a medium cursive stub nib; the tip of one tine is higher than the other and on the other tip of the tine it has a dent in it. So not only does it write scratchy but it also doesn't even come close to writing like stub.

I kinda screwed myself by waiting several months to ink it up since Massdrop probably won't return it or exchange it. I know Mr.Pen warranties the pens for 12months, but not sure if a pen purchased from Massdrop would be eligible. I sent Mr.Pen an inquiry and waiting to hear back; hopefully, they'll replace the nib.

Maybe it would have been prudent to sort it out straight away but that's water under the bridge. :unsure:

I hope you receive a positive response from Mr. Pen. :) Fingers crossed.

Hi all,

I've been tempted to use Massdrop a few times... but something keeps holding me back.

This is only speculation on my part, but I wonder if they're not some kind of liquidator that gives manufacturers an opportunity to liquidate "seconds" and the like from their inventories. :unsure:

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Maybe it would have been prudent to sort it out straight away but that's water under the bridge. :unsure:

I hope you receive a positive response from Mr. Pen. :) Fingers crossed.

Yes. :thumbup:

I think he will... Mr. Pen seems to enjoy a pretty good reputation here... I do not think that comes unfounded. :)

- Anthony

We have received an enquiry from this customer and from the images of the nib, we could not see anything wrong, however we told the customer we are more than happy to exchange the nib if he has concerns. Our warranty extends to all our pens equally whether sold by Massdrop or via our mrpen.co.uk website.

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

We have received an enquiry from this customer and from the images of the nib, we could not see anything wrong, however we told the customer we are more than happy to exchange the nib if he has concerns. Our warranty extends to all our pens equally whether sold by Massdrop or via our mrpen.co.uk website.

I wrote this post prior to contacting Mr. Ford and at this point only contacted Massdrop and since I've used Massdrop in the past some products warranty aren't extended.

I decided to contact Mr. Ford later in the day and had a pretty awesome active discussion with him in which he actually personally took the time to look at some nib closeup pics I took. He also reassured me that if I still have a concern he would be happy to swap out the nib.

After his fantastic customer service, I decided I would write with it for a few more days before sending it in. When he was responding back to me I decided to try and prime the pen more so than what I would normally do and it then began writing the way and style I'm use to most other of my stubs that I have.

He mentioned that his nibs are hand ground so based on his explanations I'm thinking that I'm just not used to the way hand ground nibs feel and write. Anyways my experience with Mr. Ford has definitely been pretty amazing so I'm 100% going to make my next pen purchase another Italix purchase but this time directly through the Mr.Pen site.

Edited by Vunter

I've been happy with all the Massdrop swag I've bought except for the lone fountain pen purchased through them....a Lamy 2000 with EF nib. It is the scratchiest, most unpleasant pen out of the box I've ever owned. It's taken a lot of time and effort to get it useable and I'm mentally disinclined to like it now. It stays inked on my desk at work. It is the only pen that I allow others to use.

I have used Massdrop several times to purchase pens, knives leather goods and watches...Everything I received was of top quality with no complaints...I recently purchased the Pelikan 800 Renaissance and am expecting the same (plus at $449, I couldn't pass it up).

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens