Can Safari & Al-Star Sections Be Swapped?

dennis_f

Does anyone know if the Safari and Al-Star sections are interchangeable?

I prefer the look and feel of the clear Al-Star sections, and for that reason I don't own any Safaris (I also prefer the Al-Star heft, but that's another issue)... I was wondering if I can simply swap a section from one of my Al-Stars to a new Safari?

If someone who owns one of both could confirm this for me, I'd really appreciate it (I'm not near a pen store currently, or I'd ask there, and I've got the urge to do some online shopping).

Thanks a million,

D.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dennis_f

• ParkerDuofold

• Chrissy

• Astronymus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, of course. All the parts between Al-Star, Safari & Vista are exactly the same and interchangeable. The Al-Star isn't really heavier than the Safari, if it is, it is only marginally so.

Hi Dennis, et al,

No. They are not.

The Al-Star uses a plastic threading insert inside the barrel which the Safari does not... so there will be a 2-3 mm gap between the Al-Star section and the Safari barrel.

- Anthony

EDITED to correct typo.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Well... thanks for both answers!

I think I may just buy a safari or two, and then do my best to get used to them. I don't know what it is about that pen, but every time I walk into a store certain I'll be picking one up, I put it in my hand, and it just doesn't feel right. I've always assumed it was the grip, or the weight, but...

Maybe I can hide the small gap with my fingers?

I just unscrewed one of my al-stars by a couple of millimetres and thought "hmm... maybe I can live with that".

(Rationalizing in order to buy some new pens?!? Who, me?!?)

D.

Hi, The Safari weighs 17g and the AL-Star 22g, both with about half of a cartridge of ink in.

Edited by Mike 59

Hello, again, Dennis,

These pics might help... you don't feel it, but it is an eyesore... to yours truly, at any rate. :D

- Anthony

Anthony... Yup... that is definitely a big gap (I'm trying to find the emoticon that suggests a wide-eyed "oof").

Chrissy, I like your idea about the O-ring, but now that I see the size of that gap, well, I think I'd rather just suffer ("suffer") the look and feel of the original section.

And thank you for chiming in with the relative weights, Mike59. It's funny the extent to which you can feel such a small difference. But then, I tend to be used to slightly heavier pens, and the Al-Star is already at my lower threshold. Next time I visit a pen store I'll have to make a point of grabbing a Safari first, and only then trying out the other, heavier, pens.

D.

You know, I may have spoken too soon about that O-ring solution.

Taking a look at Anthony's pictures again, I compared the width of the gap to the width of the o-ring on my Al-stars, and the two dimensions look to be just about equal.

On my sections, there's an intermediate step between the portion of the section on which you find the threads, and the outer grip/tripod-shaped section proper. That step seems to be the portion that's exposed in Anthony's photos; ie: since I can't see the threads themselves in the photo, the gap must be the same size as the intermediate step... And on the Al-Star, it's that very portion of the section that is hidden by the O-ring that's attached to the Al-Star body.

So -- and at this point this is just an exercise in intellectual curiousity because really, I'm sure I can live with the proper Safari section -- if I can find an o-ring in the right size, I just might try the swap after all.

D.

Hi Dennis,

That's a mock o-ring on the Al-Star barrel... it's actually the lip of the plastic threaded insert I mentioned above... I guess its designed that way to match the one on the Safari.

I took out my Verneir Calipers and the gap is 1.89 mm, (it's looks larger :o); the diameter is 10.77 mm... hopefully this will help you get the right o-ring if you go that route. :)

- Anthony

Thanks for the measurements Anthony... I'm sure you just saved me a significant amount of time having to work this out through trial and error!

I'll probably try to find an o-ring now just to sate my curiousity. But I'm out of the city so it looks like I won't be able to give it a try until the fall. In the meantime, though, I'll probably end up buying the Safaris anyway. Because, who can resist, really?

D.

Thanks for the measurements Anthony... I'm sure you just saved me a significant amount of time having to work this out through trial and error!

...In the meantime, though, I'll probably end up buying the Safaris anyway. Because, who can resist, really?

D.

You're welcome, Dennis... I'm glad I could help... a rare occurrence, indeed. :D

This is true... I wouldn't want to know the person who could resist more Safaris... they must have ice-water for blood! :o

Be well. :)

- Anthony

I have been using Al Star section on Safari for years. The plastic ring on regular Safari section perfectly fits Al Star section and cap of Safari also works normally.

Here is the pic

fpn_1502179501__safari.jpg

I have been using Al Star section on Safari for years. The plastic ring on regular Safari section perfectly fits Al Star section and cap of Safari also works normally.

Here is the pic

:thumbup:

Here is the pic

Good deal, Prashant. :thumbup:

I think I'm going to resign from FPN... I do not think I'm of any help to anyone here... my efforts and suggestions are always replaced by better ones. :)

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Hi, I wasn't so sure about this idea, so I just tried it, it works out well.

The Safari cap fits well, the AL-star cap is loose at the 'O' ring area, but otherwise seems fine. Surprised me.

post-70376-0-32346800-1502188841_thumb.jpg

Wow, thanks Mike and Prashant for these new images.

So, just to get this straight (since I haven't held a Safari in over a decade): there's an O-ring on the Safari section (as opposed to attached to the barrel as on the Al-Star), and you simply remove it from the section and roll it onto the Al-Star?

Does the ring just slip right off the section?

Prashant: that charcoal mod is exactly what I've had in mind. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Anthony: I've seen your name pop up on a lot of posts recently, and your input is always enriching and much appreciated. I'm sure that without your help in this case, we never would have got to where we are now.

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to doing some shopping this weekend!
D.

It's no real O-Ring. It's made of plastic and clips on the section. You can remove it by just pressing the fingernail behind it. A Safari ring will fit on a Al-Star section. The ring on the Al-Star barrel is fixed. So a Safari section with it's ring removed will fit on an Al-Star barrel.

Thanks Astron... I had no idea that the Safari ring could be removed. Being a Lamy, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that elements can be disassembled.

D.