Serenite

mke

Is 1460 USD expensive for a Serenite or is that a normal price for it?

Auction link

Not that I intend to buy - I have still other pens on my shortlist.

And actually, I have to admit that I like the copycat pen Jinhao 15

Edited by mke

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallymal1

• mke

• aggoo

• Nicholas Green

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd say it's a bit much for the standard black Serenite. With patience you could pick one up for around $800. They are a cool, but weird pen. I prefer the Edson if I am spending that much on a Waterman. A much more substantial feel and easier to use daily. No doubt others will have other thoughts.

I owned a Serenite for about 12 hours (long story), which I bought exceedingly cheaply. It didn't resonate with me at all (definitely wouldn't spend >$500 on it), whereas the Edson is simply superb in almost all respects.

Thanks for the recommendation of an Edson. I will keep in mind.

Don't think too long about it. The Edsons are not produced any more, and chances are prices will rise.

At the time the Serenité was the most expensive pen Waterman sold, another 10% or so above the Edson.

I have looked at one, held it but decided against it. Didn't like how it felt. The look is a matter of taste. I suspect the pen will do well in Japan, reminiscing a Dai Katana (Or wazzitsname) and this auction is on a Japanese site. Possibly prices will be different in the US or EUR.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I have been fascinated by the Serenite pens. I used to keep a listing on my Ebay "watch list" from a French Seller on Ebay, "ERFOBAY, " just because I thought it was such a good looking pen. The one I liked was a crocodile wrapped pen & I believe was from a set of four pens representing different "Elements" of the Earth.

I just checked Erfobay's current listing & found only one Serenite pen, "from the Maki-E Collection, The White Tiger Edition" & is listed for $9500, or Best Offer. In comparison to some of the Serenites, the one you found listed seems not as expensive as others. If the prices of Edson are expected to rise in price because they are no longer made, wouldn't the same be true for these pens?

I allowed my substitute for the pen to be one made by ONLINE, made of some wood called Wawa, which is called Newood. It was a similar shape & came with assorted Italic nibs & @ least let me know I 'COULD" be happy with the unusual shape. Which was of little consequence because I couldn't afford the "real thing," but do respect the design.

I have always liked, and enjoyed the Serenite. Sadly, at the prices which are being asked, I doubt if i shall obtain another. I do have the black one though.

2708839371_be530db17a_b.jpg

2735529771_8819634671_b.jpg

As to whether a pen is "worth" an asking price, well, that's a personal thing. Most times, the pen is being sold by someone who wants to make a profit on the pen, and sets a value to do so...and there are those seeking to make an investment, and...so it goes.

I was also lucky enough to snag a blue one, back in the day.

The nearest I got to one was an A5 brochure.

I have some A5. :)

Beautiful photos, Malcolm. Are they yours?

X

I have some A5. :)

Beautiful photos, Malcolm. Are they yours?

Thank you. Yes they are.

Occasionally I like to play around with a camera, and light. :)

The Serenite is a very interesting pen. The price is probably representative.

The black was the first issue and had some structural issues that weren't present in later pens. I prefer the blue which I think is a lot more attractive.

http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rhodo/omega2.jpg

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

The Serenite is also a very cool pen which writes very well and it's a welcome member of my collection!

post-118467-0-76376100-1502383231_thumb.jpg

Very different to the Edson, but also an iconic pen in it's own rite!

Edited by Nick_Green