Where Can A Montblanc Meisterstuck 146 Be Most Inexpensively Repaired?

davidbloch

I have a Montblanc Meisterstruck 146, that has extensive damage due to being dropped. The barrel probably needs to be replaced. Where can this repair be done that is less costly than sending the pen to Montblanc?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• FarmBoy

• Charles Skinner

• davidbloch

Send to MB.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Nowhere can do it for less than Montblanc. If you only need a barrel it will cost about $70 and included in that will be a complete level one service, so you will get a new piston, feeder case and feed if you want them. If your end cone was also damaged, you will get that replaced too since that has to be complete for the piston to work.

The price will only go up if you need a new cap and/or a new nib as well.

I had my 146 barrel replaced a couple of years ago, by MB, and I am very happy with the pen now. I did notice, however, that the pen "wrote much wetter" after being returned. I thought they had replaced the nib also by mistake. It was explained to me that the old barrel likely was "clogged up" just a little and that I had just gotten used to it ---- the wetness of the flow, I mean. --- Again, very happy with the pen now.

C. S.

I've just had a 146 returned from MB hamburg that was sent to them with a cracked barrel. They replaced the barrel, which came under a Flat Rate 2 Service, and also replaced the entire piston section, and it was given a thorough clean. The cost was £73.95 excluding taxes, and £88 all in. This included return via UPS. You can't complain about that.

What impressed me so much was that following an on-line inquiry I posted the 146 and a wreck of a 149 to Hamburg. Within 2 days of receiving it I was emailed the estimated costs. Within 2 weeks the UPS man was at my door.

The only minor problem was that MB did tell me that the repair costs would need to be paid to the USP driver in cash, and so I thought that they would let me know when the pens were on their way back, but they didn't. So when I was confronted on the doorstep by the UPS man and not having the right cash at home there could have been a problem. Fortunately he was a lovely chap and promised to call back later in the day, so all worked out well.

Costs in the States are probably different to in Europe.

Edited by chunya

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for sending it to Montblanc. They can give it a more complete once over. They have replacement parts readily at hand to give you a like new condition.

I speak as one who has repaired many Montblanc 146's & 149's. This, stubbornly trudging forward, despite of the advice of many friends here telling me to send the pen off to Montblanc. I have been successful, but the scramble to find parts can take time and can be frustrating. Some parts like barrel, cone, cap, clip, snow cap, nib and pink bubblegum sealant, are a pain to find. There is no parts store for these, and they are are best sourced from Montblanc directly.

Do yourself a favor. Send it off to Montblanc.

...snip...

The only minor problem was that MB did tell me that the repair costs would need to be paid to the USP driver in cash

Gosh. I'm surprised to hear this. Seems odd, in this day and age when we can buy a cup of coffee with a tap of our card.

Still, glad it all worked out well.

OP: Have to agree with the other posters, I don't think you're going to find a cheaper fix than MB service. The only other way is if you manage to find a replacement barrel for sale - but, people know the value of MB products now, so even a second-hand barrel will probably cost you around the same as a level 1 service.

Good luck.

I've just had a 146 returned from MB hamburg that was sent to them with a cracked barrel. They replaced the barrel, which came under a Flat Rate 2 Service, and also replaced the entire piston section, and it was given a thorough clean. The cost was £73.95 excluding taxes, and £88 all in. This included return via UPS. You can't complain about that.

What impressed me so much was that following an on-line inquiry I posted the 146 and a wreck of a 149 to Hamburg. Within 2 days of receiving it I was emailed the estimated costs. Within 2 weeks the UPS man was at my door.

The only minor problem was that MB did tell me that the repair costs would need to be paid to the USP driver in cash, and so I thought that they would let me know when the pens were on their way back, but they didn't. So when I was confronted on the doorstep by the UPS man and not having the right cash at home there could have been a problem. Fortunately he was a lovely chap and promised to call back later in the day, so all worked out well.

Costs in the States are probably different to in Europe.

I'm surprised that a replacement barrel and piston assembly for a 146 came into the flat rate level 2 service category. I have had barrels and piston assemblies replaced under the flat rate level 1 service category on more than one occasion. :huh:

However, the price you paid seems to be what I would expect to pay for the flat rate level 1 service. So it's a mystery. :wacko:

I'm glad you all have had better luck with them than I. My last repair with MB cost almost the pen's purchase price.