Blue Ink For School

kotkadu6a6

If you don't care at all about water resistance than I'd recommend one of the Waterman blues that several posters have already mentioned. The large amount of pen repair folks who use Waterman inks to test pens should be testimony enough to their usefulness.

However, if you're like me and don't want to have your precious class notes obliterated by the H2O beast, then I can't recommend Platinum Blue-black highly enough. Don't be fooled by the name, it's a waterproof dark blue that dries quickly and doesn't bleed or feather on anything. It also actually makes my pens write smoother. I don't know how available it is in your area, but it's usually a good deal of you buy a 60ml bottle of it. A second option would be the aforementioned Pilot blue or blue-black. Both have great water resistance and should be pretty cheap. As much as I love my saturated blues and other crazy colors, if I was going back to school I'd go with the Platinum without question.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• truthpil

• KKay

• kotkadu6a6

If you don't care at all about water resistance than I'd recommend one of the Waterman blues that several posters have already mentioned. The large amount of pen repair folks who use Waterman inks to test pens should be testimony enough to their usefulness.

However, if you're like me and don't want to have your precious class notes obliterated by the H2O beast, then I can't recommend Platinum Blue-black highly enough. Don't be fooled by the name, it's a waterproof dark blue that dries quickly and doesn't bleed or feather on anything. It also actually makes my pens write smoother. I don't know how available it is in your area, but it's usually a good deal of you buy a 60ml bottle of it. A second option would be the aforementioned Pilot blue or blue-black. Both have great water resistance and should be pretty cheap. As much as I love my saturated blues and other crazy colors, if I was going back to school I'd go with the Platinum without question.

Platinum seems like a nice ink, but the dry time appears to be long (30+sec?). Wouldn't that be an issue?

Platinum seems like a nice ink, but the dry time appears to be long (30+sec?). Wouldn't that be an issue?

I just did some tests and know that on 70gsm standard copy paper it takes 10 seconds to be fully smear free with my Platinum 3776 Century Soft Fine and 12 seconds with a Pilot 78G Medium.

Maybe some lefties can share about their experiences with Platinum Blue-black.

According to my ink journal, Pilot Blue-black has similar drying times but Pilot Blue dries noticeably faster.

Edited by TruthPil

pilot 4001 blue black in particular, fastest drying time, waterproof, and doesn't feather on almost any paper. Other 4001 series are very good also.

visconti blue is amazing and very striking true blue, albeit no water resistance.

Notable mentions: kon-peki, tsuki-yo, shin-kai (iroshizuku inks)

Not particularly a fan of diamine inks myself, although many are beautiful colours.

alright everybody, please don't give me too hard a time for my suggestion but I'm putting in a vote for any Noodlers blue. Even BSB.

Allan😀😀

...Even BSB.

Allan😀😀

Allan, Allan, Allan.... what am I going to do with you? Don't you read the case studies?? :huh: Don't you know the use of BSB by minors is one of the leading causes of juvenile delinquency?

- Anthony

pilot 4001 blue black in particular, fastest drying time, waterproof, and doesn't feather on almost any paper. Other 4001 series are very good also.

Agreed, if you're open to a blue-black instead of a blue then Pelikan 4001 is sheer perfection. It might be too dry for some pens, but I have yet to experience flow problems with any pen I've put it in. It may not be the most vibrant color but it's an excellent workhorse ink.

I just did some tests and know that on 70gsm standard copy paper it takes 10 seconds to be fully smear free with my Platinum 3776 Century Soft Fine and 12 seconds with a Pilot 78G Medium.

According to my ink journal, Pilot Blue-black has similar drying times but Pilot Blue dries noticeably faster.

+1 for Platinum Blue Black. It's iron gall but seems to retain more of the blue compared to some other iron galls I've used.

Namiki Blue has been my go-to (and only) blue. It is a permanent ink and a bit of hassle to clean out of a demonstrator though. On Goulet's webpage it seems to have longish dry times but it hasn't been an issue for me.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Two weeks ago I bought my first fountain pen and now I am looking for a good ink to use it with at school during the upcoming year.

My requirements for the ink are:

-easily readable(for long essays, ext.)

-reasonable drying time (I am a lefty)

-preferably Diamine Ink, but other brands available in the UK are also fine.

-little to no bleed through with notebook paper (not using the cheapest and thinnest paper, but certainly not Rhodia like)

What have you decided?

Ii'm a lefty, and I use Platinum Blue-Black, Pilot Blue-Black or Akkerman #10 iron gall Blue-Black in my office every day. None of these seem to take too long to dry. I generally use a Platinum medium nib. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Ii'm a lefty, and I use Platinum Blue-Black, Pilot Blue-Black or Akkerman #10 iron gall Blue-Black in my office every day. None of these seem to take too long to dry. I generally use a Platinum medium nib. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.

Thanks for the information. I find Platinum Blue-black with a Platinum medium nib to be one of the most enjoyable writing experiences ever, and that's saying something considering how many pens I've tried.

Regarding the OP, however, it'll definitely cost more than Diamine or Pelikan in the UK.

Thanks for the information. I find Platinum Blue-black with a Platinum medium nib to be one of the most enjoyable writing experiences ever, and that's saying something considering how many pens I've tried.

Regarding the OP, however, it'll definitely cost more than Diamine or Pelikan in the UK.

+1, I have a cart of B/B loaded in my 3776 right now at work, and it's phenomenal.

I had a bottle of Private Reserve Midnight Blues and found it to be a dry ink.

Edited by FLZapped

I use Pelikan Royal Blue regularly. I like it.

Pelikan and Diamine are more likely to be available throughout Europe.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• 2 weeks later...

While for euro carts my favourite ink is Pelican 4001 b/b, for C/C or piston filler pens it's Platinum's (iron gall) blue/black. A nice bright middle blue.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

If you want to stick with Diamine, China Blue could be a good choice for you.

:W2FPN:

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

For school use, the blue inks made by Waterman, Parker, Sheaffer, Pelikan, and Lamy would be best,

Those inks are the traditional school inks: well behaved, washable and erasable.

Rohrer & Klingner Royal blue behaves well too but is a slightly deeper blue.

I've tried a few of the Diamine blues. I really like both Denim and Oxford Blue (Oxford Blue has a lovely sheen to it, which may or may NOT be okay with the teachers or graders), but Sargasso Sea -- while a gorgeous color -- I found to have bad clogging problems.

Unfortunately Sargasso Blue - although one of the nicest blue colours available - clogged every pen from Lamy schoolpens to Parker 51s and Pelikan 200/400s. If mixed 1:1 with a very well behaving ink it does work ok. I am using it now to get rid of the boring Diamine Indigo ....

I'm glad I went to grade school in much simpler times :D

There was Royal Blue for school/work and nothing else.

Government offices used a sort of dark purple/bordeaux (not sure what to call it)