The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Monteverde Charoite (Gemstone Collection)

monteverde

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Carrau

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 13:12

I'm so sorry.  In a highlighter / felt nib, or in an insanely wet huge broad nib, you can get that color.  Most of the time, it will look closer to this:

I4xCRa.jpg

Thanks, I’ve been interested in this ink, but reluctant to use for all the usual reasons. Your writing samples look much more like the swabs than the samples from the reviews I could see, and it’s easy to see how different KTC appears from Charoite in yours, and I appreciate your advice here. The Charoite is beautiful in its way, and I find it well behaved, but I also find its in-between color distracting in an odd way: it seems, when looking at writing with it, I’m focused on trying to decide if it’s blue or purple. I’m sure this is because I write predominantly with blue or blue-black inks, and Charoite is in a range I don’t normally write in (blurples). Thanks again.

Sponsored Content

#22 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,572 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2018 - 16:50

Thanks, I’ve been interested in this ink, but reluctant to use for all the usual reasons. Your writing samples look much more like the swabs than the samples from the reviews I could see, and it’s easy to see how different KTC appears from Charoite in yours, and I appreciate your advice here. The Charoite is beautiful in its way, and I find it well behaved, but I also find its in-between color distracting in an odd way: it seems, when looking at writing with it, I’m focused on trying to decide if it’s blue or purple. I’m sure this is because I write predominantly with blue or blue-black inks, and Charoite is in a range I don’t normally write in (blurples). Thanks again.

You are certainly welcome. Next time I ink up with KTC, I can send you a letter.  I admit, I'm a huge fan of Blurples.  

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#23 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2018 - 06:11

I wonder if diluted Charoite would be more like KTC.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#24 madeline

madeline

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:33

Given its low ph, would Charoite be safe in a vintage pen?  (Or perhaps the manufacturer's table of ph values by color is not always accurate? A ph of 2.5 seems unusual to me.)

Moderation in everything, including moderation.     

--Mark Twain

#25 Aquaria

Aquaria

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2018 - 00:07

I'm so sorry.  In a highlighter / felt nib, or in an insanely wet huge broad nib, you can get that color.  Most of the time, it will look closer to this:

I4xCRa.jpg

That color looks only slightly bluer than Pilot Iro Aji-Sai.

#26 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:51

That color looks only slightly bluer than Pilot Iro Aji-Sai.

It also doesn't look remotely like my bottle of KTC.  Mine is super dark, and is more of a dark indigo with purple undertones, unless it gets diluted (in which case it's an unsaturated mid-spectrum purple).

As for Charoite, I'd be seeing how the color compared to Noodler's North African Violet or PR Purple Mojo.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#27 taimdala

taimdala

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:55

Given its low ph, would Charoite be safe in a vintage pen?  (Or perhaps the manufacturer's table of ph values by color is not always accurate? A ph of 2.5 seems unusual to me.)

YEAH! What she said!

2.4 is darned acidic--it's on the level of straight lemon juice, which would react badly with anything metal (like your nib!). And I don't even want to think about what it would do to a vintage celluloid pen or rubber sac.

YIKES!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: monteverde

Sponsored Content

|