Monteverde Charoite (Gemstone Collection)

visvamitra

Monteverde is part of Yafa company. Some time ago the company offered wide array of new inks with Ink ITF™ - new Ink Treatment Formula that's supposed to drastically improve ink-flow quality, extend cap-off time and improve ink drying time on paper. After trying two inks I can agree it's not just marketing - the inks behave very well.

New colors are divided into two series. The newest one is called GEMSTONES.

fpn_1498288355__gemstone_monetverde.jpg

I admit I have a problem with this name as Pelikan started their Gemstone collection (Edelstein inks) years ago and was succesfull. I do realise that this name can't be copyrighted but I feel something's off. Sure, it's easy to base marketing on proven and succesfull ideas but I feel just a little bit of disapproval. I believe they could have created something new, especially that the colors are rather interesting and eye-catching.

Anyway the line has inks

1. Amethyst
  2. Charoite
  3. Erinite
  4. Fireopal
  5. Garnet
  6. Moonstone
  7. Olivine
  8. Ruby
  9. Sapphire
  10. Topaz

I appreciate the fact that Monteverde posted on their website data about these inks' pH values:

fpn_1498288810__gemstone_monetverde_ph.j

Bottle

fpn_1502003231__charoite_bottle.jpg

The inks can be bought in 30 (and 90) ml bottle. The bottle is made of lass, has simple design and id pretty functional - stable and with wide neck allowing to fill quite comfortably (as long as there's more than 60 % of the ink content in it) even monster fountain pens straight from the bottle.

Ink

fpn_1502003254__charoite_monteverde_is.j

The ink is well saturated and displays nice hue. It shades form a a bit. The shading isn't very strong in finer nibs, yet it remains visible. The flow is smooth and the ink feels well lubricated even in dry pens. Some feathering and bleed-through will be experienced only on crappiest papers (hello Moleskine). Drying time is reasonable. Also, it's impressive that the ink doesn't dry out when you leave the pen uncapped. Even after three minutes the pen starts without any skipping when you put the nib to the paper. I enjoy this ink.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1502003286__charoite_rk.jpg

Color ID

fpn_1502003312__charoite_monteverde_l_3.

Color range

fpn_1502003330__charoite_monteverde_l_4.

Discovery 70 mgsm copy paper, Aurora Ipsilon, stub 1.2

fpn_1502003363__charoite_monteverde_d_1.

fpn_1502003406__charoite_monteverde_d_2.

Leuchtturm1917, Aurora Ipsilon, stub 1.2

fpn_1502003467__charoite_monteverde_l_1.

fpn_1502003487__charoite_monteverde_l_2.

fpn_1502003500__charoite_monteverde_l_5.

Midori, Aurora Ipsilon, stub 1.2

fpn_1502003430__charoite_monteverde_mido

fpn_1502003451__charoite_monteverde_mido

Rhodia, Aurora Ipsilon, stub 1.2

fpn_1502003519__charoite_monteverde_rhod

fpn_1502003545__charoite_monteverde_rhod

fpn_1502003558__charoite_monteverde_rhod

Water resistance

fpn_1502003581__charoite_monteverde_rhod

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Carrau

• namrehsnoom

• Intensity

Hmm... I do like to hear that these inks have good properties, and this colour looks interesting. But calling it the "gemstone" collection... surely they know the Pelikan Edelstein line of inks? I don't know... at best a poor decision of their marketing guys.

Hmm... I do like to hear that these inks have good properties, and this colour looks interesting. But calling it the "gemstone" collection... surely they know the Pelikan Edelstein line of inks? I don't know... at best a poor decision of their marketing guys.

It does seem like they are shooting themselves in the foot by calling it the gemstone collection. Lack of ideas?

Roberson have had a gemstone series of inks for many years before Pelikan Edelstein, so who is the copyist?

Verba volant, scripta manent

The pH values of these inks are intriguing. Why are some acidic, and some basic? Any practical implications, such as keeping any of these inks aways from celluloid, or latex sacs?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I'll be honest, the naming wouldn't trouble me, either I like the colour or not. I think even the daftest fountain pen user would know they aren't the same.

I'll be honest, the naming wouldn't trouble me, either I like the colour or not. I think even the daftest fountain pen user would know they aren't the same.

True enough. :D

Ack that... I just expected a bit more imagination from the people that brainstormed the name. Well... probably chosen by committee :-)

Great review and a nice color. I have too many in this shade now so I won't be rushing out to buy any.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 2 months later...

I expect a dearth of imagination from Yafa. This is the company that clearly implies in its advertising that its Conklin Pens are made by the same company that made the original Duragraph and Crescent Filler.

fpn_1509853390__yafa.jpg

So my expectations for Monteverde Charoite were commensurately low when I ordered it as a sample. And when it arrived from Anderson Pens and I filled a pen with it I was gobsmacked. It instantly became one of my two or three favorite inks. I love this ink.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

That's a rather dramatic "Water Resistance" result :lticaptd: Basically the answer is "Zero!" Nice shade and saturation otherwise.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I've revisited my first gemstone color - emerald green, which I initially hated for its somewhat greasy feel on the page. Turns out, I only hate it in stub nibs. It's spectacular in a normal nib.

Also fireopal is by far my favorite orange ink ever now. It's got shading, it sheens silver, it's legible, well behaved, great value, just a stupid good all-rounder

Monteverde is a weird, weird pen maker (I love my poquito's and HATE the ripoff 992/monza, waiting on my brass nighthawk to come for judgement on their more expensive pens) but (bleep) they make good ink at a good value. Good bottle too.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Monteverde is a weird, weird pen maker (I love my poquito's and HATE the ripoff 992/monza, waiting on my brass nighthawk to come for judgement on their more expensive pens) but (bleep) they make good ink at a good value. Good bottle too.

I have the Invincia Deluxe and was surprised to have the finish on the grip section start to pit within a few months of very light use. Here is a link to whole thread on the subject:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/273095-monteverde-invincia-deluxe-and-other-options/

I hope you will not have the same problem with your pen or that, if you do, the vendor will offer a remedy.

It looks as if, in contrast to their pens, Monteverde now has some very good inks.

• 3 months later...

This is my second Monteverde gemstone ink (first choice was Sapphire) and I really enjoy it. It's a beautiful, vibrant blue/purple which is very saturated and rich in color. It behaves very well in my new Hero H718 and looks great on the page. It is a great replacement for the disappointing Levenger Empyrian, which is also a beautiful color but, like many Levenger inks, is watery and poorly behaved with visible feathering and bleed-through.

• 1 month later...

IT's quite rare that we get Vis to say that an ink was enjoyable.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I keep wondering how this would look compared with Noodler’s Kung Te Cheng? I have this ink, but lack KTC for comparison. Has anyone else tried both?

KTC is nothing like this ink.

KTC is completely unique. KTC only looks dark when you use a dip pen or brush. KTC is more like a heather color when used an a regular FP. It is never ever vivid and bright.

Here is an image from another FPNer, ToasterPastry https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/221617-thoughts-on-noodlers-kung-te-cheng/.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/Purple_ink_comparison.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/162506-noodlers-kung-te-cheng/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/275425-kung-te-cheng-noodlers/

Thanks for setting me straight on this color-Iwas thinking of the writing samples in these two review samples. Many of the reviews in FPN Ink Reviews don’t have viewable pics any longer.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/162506-noodlers-kung-te-cheng/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/275425-kung-te-cheng-noodlers/

Thanks for setting me straight on this color-Iwas thinking of the writing samples in these two review samples. Many of the reviews in FPN Ink Reviews don’t have viewable pics any longer.

I'm so sorry. In a highlighter / felt nib, or in an insanely wet huge broad nib, you can get that color. Most of the time, it will look closer to this:

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/5619/I4xCRa.jpg