Noodler's House Divided

cjr

I was really excited about the UV ink properties, so I ordered a sample straight away. Based on reviews I've seen on various websites, it's clear YMMV. I tried unbleached craft paper, paper towels, etc, and I could not get the ink to fluoresce at all. I could barely get the blue shift on chromatography sheets and plates. Strangely enough, as a control, I tried Empire Red. It fluoresces like mad. I know that over time, Empire Red definitely separates in to layers, and I have to shake vigorously in order to distribute the precipitate. It's possible my House Divided sample wasn't shaken when it was aliquoted. Either way, I'm slightly disappointed. I really, really wanted to combine this ink into a scientific history lesson for my nephews, but the properties just aren't prominent enough for me to maintain the interest fo two elementary school kids.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Memory

• amberleadavis

• Intensity

• Fuzzy_Bear

I was really excited about the UV ink properties, so I ordered a sample straight away. Based on reviews I've seen on various websites, it's clear YMMV. I tried unbleached craft paper, paper towels, etc, and I could not get the ink to fluoresce at all. I could barely get the blue shift on chromatography sheets and plates. Strangely enough, as a control, I tried Empire Red. It fluoresces like mad. I know that over time, Empire Red definitely separates in to layers, and I have to shake vigorously in order to distribute the precipitate. It's possible my House Divided sample wasn't shaken when it was aliquoted. Either way, I'm slightly disappointed. I really, really wanted to combine this ink into a scientific history lesson for my nephews, but the properties just aren't prominent enough for me to maintain the interest fo two elementary school kids.

It's possible: I got samples of J Herbin's Emerald of Chivor and Amethyste, and both almost entirely lack shimmer and have close to no sheen (I was most surprised about the Emerald ink). My conclusion is that they were decanted from near the top of unshaken bottles.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

It's possible: I got samples of J Herbin's Emerald of Chivor and Amethyste, and both almost entirely lack shimmer and have close to no sheen (I was most surprised about the Emerald ink). My conclusion is that they were decanted from near the top of unshaken bottles.

Oh no! I'm so sorry! Amethyste is simply amazing. It even sparkles with my finer nibbed pens. As for Emeralds of Chivor, I definitely noticed the most sheening on Tomoe River, so that must be part of the problem.

Azizah from Gourmet pens commented on a sample of Emeralds of Chivor she received as part of a monthly subscription, and she also reported not getting any particles in her sample.

It's something I'm aware of now and do worry about when getting ink samples. I've now read plenty of first-hand experience by people who wrote that shaking their ink bottle results in a more uniform color experience, not just for inks that contain shimmer particles. I wonder if we should write to the various on-line retailers offering samples and mention that they should shake their ink bottles well before decanting them into sample vials (since I presume a bunch of vials are filled at a time).

(My sample of Emerald of Chivor contains NO sparkle nor sheen. I wrote with an italic dip pen on paper that normally is pretty sheen-friendly, and I have a bunch of different teals on the same page for comparison. I can see the edge-sheen on writing made with Robert Oster's Fire and Ice, and lots on Organics Studio Walden Pond, but the Emerald of Chivor is just a flat blue-teal. My sample of Amethyste is dark purple with a VERY small amount of silver sparkle--I have to really look for it closely), likewise written with a flexible italic dip pen, so saturated line).

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I think the problem is also the huge variety of inks that are available today. Formerly, it was standard good protocol to avoid shaking bottles since any precipitate that fell out of solution was undesirable, could clog your pen, lead to undesireable chemical reactions, or even in some cases, lead to microbial growth and dreaded SIT (slime in the bottle) syndrome (never mind that it's anaerobic bacteria and mold, not true slime or even slime mold like Dictyostelium). These days, supersaturated are the norm, and dyes in such a high concentration can fall out of solution. Complex ink types that lead to fluorescence, "bulletproof properties," or other desireable charcteristics like the newer iron galls all contain soluble material that can fall out of solution. I'm always very conscientious about which bottles I shake and which I don't. Noodler's inks, pigmented inks, iron galls, and shimmering/shading inks will always be shaken. Older brand taht are safe for vintage fountain pens, like Parker, Waterman, Shaeffer, etc i avoid shaking. Then again, I also aliquot all my ink into sample vials to avoid cross contamination and to try and get the most reliable results. This is very likely overly cautious on my part, but I'd have undo years of training at the bench to change my habits now!

Memory, I found that the UV inks fluoresced on some papers but not on others. I couldn't identify what made the difference. Did you find that it could be paper dependent?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

White paper is often not only bleached, but has fluorescent dye added to make them appear whiter. It's the same flourescent lightening agent that "makes white whiter" as the Tide adverts used to say. I've found that unbleached recyceld or craft paper can display fluorescent properties more than normal 20# printer paper or even good stationary. In my hands, the sample of Houses Divided wouldn't fluoresce in any channels. Noodler's Empire Red, a bulletproof Noodler's ink, fluoresced strongly regardless of which paper I tried.

White paper is often not only bleached, but has fluorescent dye added to make them appear whiter. It's the same flourescent lightening agent that "makes white whiter" as the Tide adverts used to say. I've found that unbleached recyceld or craft paper can display fluorescent properties more than normal 20# printer paper or even good stationary. In my hands, the sample of Houses Divided wouldn't fluoresce in any channels. Noodler's Empire Red, a bulletproof Noodler's ink, fluoresced strongly regardless of which paper I tried.

Someone with a full well-shaken bottle of this ink should test out the fluorescence. A sample vial might well contain an incorrect concentration of the ink from the intended proportions of ingredients.

Memory, thank you for the thoughtful explanation!

Intensity, I wonder if that's true. When I use Ghost Blue, I found it was paper dependent not matter what concentration I used. ** Specifically, I would add GB to other inks to make them more water resistant. I found that the mixter would fluoresce on some papers and not on others. Since I wouldn't shake the ink before filling I would think that the UV part wouldn't be so prone to falling out of solution, BUT I also don't know that the same ingredients were used in HD as in GB. So, I guess, I talked myself out of having an opinion. :)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Many fans of the ink maker today, but not many fans of the ink in question.

I'm neither a fan of the maker nor of this particular ink.

The color is washed out and boring, like old lady lipstick.

No! It will not be my 42nd Noodler's ink.

http://www.allsmileys.com/files/big-smileys/13.gif

Still missing the "White Stripe" MYU and black brother MYU with transparent section!

(Has somebody a "Murex" with a working clock?

(Thanks to Steve I found the "Black Stripe Capless" and the "White Stripe Capless")

• 5 months later...

Sorry if someone already mentioned this, as I did not take the time to read everyone's response.

And I didn't notice this, but my wife did. This ink is mostly RED under regular white light, it shows BLUE under black light.

I think this is "twist" of Noodler's Ink: House Divided. It's like a 'Easter-Egg' in software. It's red and blue, and you can see both colors depending on which type of light you use.

That's pretty cool.

Well, I had forgotten this thread and picked up a sample vial of this over the weekend at the B/W show. We'll see whether or not I like it.

If I don't, well, I'm only out a couple of bucks.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Memory, I found that the UV inks fluoresced on some papers but not on others. I couldn't identify what made the difference. Did you find that it could be paper dependent?

Not only do some papers contain fluorescent dyes of their own, there are also 'brighteners' used to make these dyes fluoresce brighter, and may do things to other inks as well.

Edited by Corona688

So I've decided I need this ink in my life. It's a lovely dusty rose / rose gold (like Apple's rose gold aluminum color)/rose quartz shade. Has it always been about $18.50 a bottle? Or was it more like the standard $12.50 and is now priced higher? Just curious.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rose+gold&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwikq4vxn-PZAhXBqFkKHYdSAM8Q_AUICigB&biw=2560&bih=1372#imgrc=_

Edited by Intensity

Noodler’s special properties inks sometimes have the higher price. Show inks also tend to be higher priced because they are usually limited editions. House Divided has always been at the higher price point.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

Noodler’s special properties inks sometimes have the higher price. Show inks also tend to be higher priced because they are usually limited editions. House Divided has always been at the higher price point.

Thank you, just wanted to make sure I was not looking at priced-up bottles since it was limited edition.

Actually, the Noodler's LE show inks I've gotten have NOT been more expensive: I think that Luck of the Draw (the B/W 2018 LE ink) was the price of standard 3 oz. bottles (but don't quote me -- my purchase was part of a larger one, so I'm not sure I have a breakdown of the cost of ink per bottle, and I didn't get it from the Luxury Brands table). Certainly the three he did for the Commonwealth Pen Show a couple of years ago (Miles Stanish, King Philip's Requiem, and Plymouth Wilderness) were LESS expensive than the normal 3 oz. bottles -- AND came with free Charlie pens.

The special "Committee of Safety" inks that were designed for the Boston Safety pens were more, but they were both a special line and, IIRC, 4 oz. bottles (I didn't get any of them because the pens weren't available at that point).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've never seen the 3 oz at anything but $12.50. Someone may be asking for more since it is an LE ink.

Peace and Understanding