The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Noodler's House Divided

noodlers permanent red

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 cjr

cjr

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2017 - 20:18

Just got back from the DC Pen Show. Several retailers had the latest Nooder's ink, House Divided. From his description, I was expecting a reddish blue ink that when washed leaves behind a permanent red line. I was able to sample the bottle at Luxury Brand's table. The ink is not what I was expecting. It is actually a dusty rose/burgundy color with barely a hint of blue in it. I came home and immediately loaded it into a Pilot Prera medium pen and did some testing. I also did a spill test during which I wrote on a piece of 28# paper, let it dry, and then poured tap water over it. After it dried, I scanned the image and it is included below.

Observations: This is a very permanent ink! It is somewhere between Noodler's Empire Red and DeAtramentis Document Red, maybe with a hint of Kung Te cheng. The spill test and the water drop test barely washed anything away. Placing a couple drops on the Review Sheet and allowing them to dry without blotting caused a hint of blue coloring to flee to the water's edge, but barely a noticeable change. If you are looking for a permanent dusty rose ink, this is a good one to look at. Flow is excellent, no bleed through, and barely any show through. No feathering, but a bit of spread on the 28# copy paper. I tested it on Rhodia, and it behaved very well. Dry time is less than 1 second, even on the Rhodia!

I bought my bottle from Federalist Pens at the show. At least one other retailer had the ink at the Show. I would guess it will be available on-line from the vendors who carry Noodler's.

Attached Images

• Ink Review - Noodlers House Divided - small.jpg
  • Spill Test - Noodlers House Divided.jpeg

Edited by cjr, 05 August 2017 - 20:29.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pineider Avatar w/fine nib and Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher; Karas Kustoms Fountain K w/steel extra fine nib and Platinum Pigment Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Noodles's Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Pilot Explorer w/medium nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

Sponsored Content

#2 GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 23:04

Thank you for the review!
Posted Image

#3 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2017 - 23:10

Thank you very much for your MOST timely review of this new ink.  I am extremely thankful you would take the time to share a writing sample with us, so soon after purchase.  It is thanks to you I can relax & I hope for Mr. Tardif's sake this ink is a "sell out," because of his talent & inventive nature, but not worry about having to have a bottle.  Waterproof or not, the color just isn't appealing to me & I would have never known it, if you hadn't taken the time to share your ink.

#4 mmg122

mmg122

Mary Garavaglia

• Member - Gold

• 1,754 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:05

Agree with BP...a little bland for my taste. I much prefer well saturated dark red inks. Props to Nathan for another well behaved and waterproof ink.

#5 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:42

Looks bland.

#6 Fuzzy_Bear

Fuzzy_Bear

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:09

Chalk. I have the same problem with General of the Armies.
The glory of the young is their strength; the gray hair of experience is the splendor of the old.

#7 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:58

Ick! Not for me.

#8 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Inkfluencer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2017 - 14:55

Thank you for the review. But sorry, Mr. Tardiff, this is the most disgusting colour I've ever seen. (on a par with Rouille d'ancre from J. Herbin)

#9 FPRebel

FPRebel

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2017 - 16:33

Thank you very much for your MOST timely review of this new ink.  I am extremely thankful you would take the time to share a writing sample with us, so soon after purchase.  It is thanks to you I can relax & I hope for Mr. Tardif's sake this ink is a "sell out," because of his talent & inventive nature, but not worry about having to have a bottle.  Waterproof or not, the color just isn't appealing to me & I would have never known it, if you hadn't taken the time to share your ink.

+1

#10 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2017 - 17:57

Rather bland/pastel in color, BUT, is that due to the pen?

I've seen inks differ significantly based on the ink flow from the pen.

This ink may want a WET pen.

So I will have to withhold judgement till I can see another test.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#11 DriftingSands

DriftingSands

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 18:13

I actually quite like the color I'm seeing here. Not quite sure if it would make it to daily rotation, but I certainly would have a use for it. Here's hoping that it's available after the show.

#12 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 19:52

OH MY - you have saved me. What a disappointment.  Ucky.  Thank you for the timely review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#13 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,920 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 20:46

Many fans of the ink maker today, but not many fans of the ink in question.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

#14 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 23:20

Well, "Puce" is an unusual color & this one seems to be a bit lighter in shade than many of the traditional Puces, one encounters.  I really can't think of the nib, pen or paper which could make this ink attractive to me & I respect Mr. Tardif for his mastery.  It was a pleasure to purchase his BERNING Red ink, but I have "Brown Pink" inks from 2 makers, that has me covered for this color family!

If the need for Puce calls, I am already prepared AND have a back-up!

#15 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,920 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2017 - 20:52

With inks like House Divided, Rome Burning, and Proctor's Ledge, I get the clear impression that Nathan Tardiff enjoys technical challenges as much as beautiful colors. Speaking of which, I've been using plain old Noodler's violet recently, a rich and lovely purple. 

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

#16 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2017 - 23:18

Noodler's Purple is one of the best inks I have ever used.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#17 KKay

KKay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:28

I love the Noodler's inks I have.  (I have several)  This ink does nothing for me at all.  I have at least one of his inks on my wish list, maybe two.  This House Divided won't be on the wish list, sadly. 

#18 eharriett

eharriett

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,512 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:36

I have not yet cracked open my bottle yet to test it myself, but I sampled it a few times. It is muted (with some interesting properties, I understand). Like every other ink, I can find a use for it, I think. It may not be in an everyday pen, but it looks like one of those inks that, if you use it to write a letter, they'll never forget the color.

#19 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2017 - 16:43

Great review!  I must say that I am not in the least tempted.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#20 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,966 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 17:28

Hmmm, that's much lighter than I imagined it would be.

Can I ask for a new picture?  It's so blurry (out of focus?) it hurts my eyes.  I can't tell if it the color is accurate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodlers, permanent, red

Sponsored Content

|