Changing Nib On Conklin All American

back to basics

Hello all. I recently got a Conklin All American. I like the pen, the nib not so much. I got it in a medium, but it writes like a fine. So I bought a new #6 nib but for the life of me cannot remove the nib from the feed. Have watched videos but still no go. Can anyone help ?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erik Dalton

• back to basics

• farisromzy

• timotheap

Hello :)

I have a Tortoiseshell All American, and the nib just pulls right out. You can also unscrew the nib unit from the grip section. I think with a little bit better grip and twisting you might be able to take it out.

Btw, which nib did you get for your All American? I'd tried to change the stock nib with a Jinhao nib, but the fit is quite loose, even after heat setting it. Hope you'll manage to take the nib out, and if the new nib works, tell me :)

Hello. Thanks for replying. I bought a Goulet # 6 nib. I'll try again to change it. Hopefully it'll work this time.

I was finally able to change the nib. Writes much better now.

How did you get the nib out?

• 1 month later...

They come out in one of two ways. The whole nib unit unscrews, or the friction fit nib and feed just pull out. I pulled out the nib and feed then put a #6 Goulet Stub in mine and it fit just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello :)

I have a Tortoiseshell All American, and the nib just pulls right out. You can also unscrew the nib unit from the grip section. I think with a little bit better grip and twisting you might be able to take it out.

Btw, which nib did you get for your All American? I'd tried to change the stock nib with a Jinhao nib, but the fit is quite loose, even after heat setting it. Hope you'll manage to take the nib out, and if the new nib works, tell me :)

I have a Conklin Old Glory All American, with a 1.1 stub, but it's a very dry pen, and not a specially nice nib to write with. I plan to replace it with a #6 medium, and I'll be using a Bock nib. These are only available with their feed and sleeve, so I'll have to pull out the nib from the Bock unit.

However, before I do this, I wonder if anyone knows whether the Conklin and Bock complete units may be interchangeable? I attach a photo of the Bock unit.

post-129399-0-03896400-1507199634_thumb.jpg

Jowo nibs fit into the nib unit of the Conklin All American perfectly. Just pull the Conklin Nib and feed out. Place a Jowo #6 nib on the feed and slip them into place. The Conklin nibs seem to be of poor quality and are easy to spring. Replacing the nib with Jowo Steel nibs has turned my All Americans into nice writers.

I even have one of the new Brownstone’s with a 1.1 mm Goulet stub, Montblanc velvet red ink (Shakespeare). It’s a dream to write with.

I have not yet found the complete nib unit that will screw into this pen. If anyone finds one, please post it.

• 3 months later...

I’m with you folks here about the All American and it’s nibs. I have a medium. It writes Ok. I juice up all my inks with a touch of glycerin and Liquitex flow aide so it writes reasonably wet, but I just don’t like the way the nib feels; it’s a nail. I like the size, girth and tortoise shell design of my All American enough so that I’m considering getting a replacement gold nib for it. Does anyone here know where I can get a replacement #6 gold nib which will fit this pen’s nib unit?

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

• 1 year later...

I did this with a Goulet nib to replace the Omniflex and it seemed ok but now the nib is very loose and won't stay in at all.
I'm pretty new to all of this. Nothing seems broken but the nib just slips out at random.

• 9 months later...

I know this is a few months old already but that last post really worries me.

I also have a Conklin Duragraph with Omniflex nib and I'm not happy with it (despite the brilliant customer service at Goulet who agreed to send me another omniflex unit, they're really amazing).

I've tried to swap with a Jinhao #6 nib but the nib is completely loose. Now I see the previous poster had the same problem with a Goulet nib (I think it's a JoWo?)... so anyone out there who has replaced their omniflex with something else? I feel I've already paid for this pen a lot more than I should have, I'd hate to worsen the matter by buying a nib that won't even solve the problem!

(FYI, the FPR flex nib fits perfectly but it also performs at its best with its ebonite feed, which can't fit the Conklin).

*EDIT* : Nevermind - I've put the omniflex on my FPR - with the ebonite feed it's just amazing, the FPR flex nib on the Ahab, the Ahab nib on the Conklin, all is well.

Timo

Edited by timotheap