The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ink Flow Issues With Sailor 1911S. Prime Suspect:the Converter. What Do You Think?

sailor 1911 converter problems fp bureau of investigation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lordofnumpties

lordofnumpties

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 18:22

Hello!

Based on the excellent advice I received on this forum, I purchased a Sailor 1911S and I've been enjoying it immensely. Its nib blew my mind, and the performance right out of the box was unbelievable. However, there is one minor problem that is bothering me, and I was wondering if someone else here has experienced the same and if there's a solution.

As the converter is down to its last mL or so of ink, the ink flow reduces and eventually stops. I have to twist the converter and push the remaining ink into the section and that restores the ink flow, as if the pen was freshly inked. This is extremely annoying because I (perhaps foolishly?) expect better of a pen this expensive; I have cheaper pens which can drain their converters of every single drop of ink without skipping even once. On a related note, when I was cleaning my Sailor, the converter just came apart once without the use of excessive force. I was able to reassemble it but again, I was shocked (but the ink flow problem was present pretty much from the beginning, long before the accidental disassembly of the converter happened).

I suspect something's wrong with the converter, but truly, what on earth is going on with this pen? Should I swap the converter? Is there another fix? Please advise. Thanks.

Edited by lordofnumpties, 04 August 2017 - 18:24.

Sponsored Content

#2 DipIt

DipIt

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 21:10

I have had a similar situation with the one and only 1911 that I have experience with. It is a very fine pen in every respect as long as I refill it before it is low on fuel. I did have a converter leak on me and like you disassembled it. I don't recall seeing a bead inside and I know some converters use such to prevent the last of the ink from hanging up at the piston. Those converters don't hold a lot of ink and are fairly narrow so maybe it is keeping the last of the ink away from the nib.

It is only one sample point but it sounds similar to your experience....really nice functioning pen otherwise. It works perfectly on cartridges.

#3 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2017 - 00:09

It's not just Sailor converters that do this. I have seen it with other brands as well. Like it was said a metal ball or keyboard spring can break up the surface tension in cases like this. 

#4 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:33

Sounds normal for most any fountain pen.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#5 lordofnumpties

lordofnumpties

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2017 - 13:28

Sounds normal for most any fountain pen.

Ahhh...looks like I'll have to buy more pens to verify that... 

#6 Innosint

Innosint

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2017 - 18:40

Try adding a tiny bearing or glass bead into the converter.

This should help breaking up the air bubble build up.

You can also try ink with less surface tension (genearly, wetter ink) it should also help with flow issue.

#7 displacermoose

displacermoose

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:04

Sailor's converters are their weak spot. I find they work much better after adding the barest hint of silicon grease to the piston. Not necessary very often, just when they start to feel stiff and sticky. The glass bead idea is also a good one.

Yet another Sarah.

#8 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 16:42

...and so are Platinum converters. I have stopped using the Platinum piston converters. Instead, I use squeese converters that I make for my Platinums pens.
Khan M. Ilyas

#9 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 16:58

Yup, Platinum converters are pants. They seize up frequently and require regular application of silicone grease.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#10 DipIt

DipIt

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 19:53

With my 1911, I just started refilling spent cartridges.....sooner or later, I will likely have a leak but it works well so far.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor 1911, converter problems, fp bureau of investigation

Sponsored Content

|