Thank You From Uk

judo

I've been a member of FPN since 2014 and have benefited from a lot of the useful information packed within the site. I've made little contribution since then, but am determined to start here in a small way. I had used a cheap Parker fountain pen throughout school in the 1960s and about the same time was given a set of dip pens with calligraphy nibs which I used to practice different styles. The urge for the 'real stuff' didn't appear again until I retired from work and had more free time. I started a small collection of inkwells, then became gripped by the fountain pen bug in 2014 when I bought a used Waterman CF and a mid-market Parker Expert 2 at auction to try to improve my handwriting. I began to read on FPN of the extensive history in design of nibs, feeds and filling methods. I bought some older refurbished pens to play around with, but soon my engineering background meant that I had to progress to buying unrestored examples and bringing them back to collectable condition. This, to me, is the real joy. Thanks again for all the help I've received on these pages and I'll try to post some words later elsewhere on the pens I have collected on the way.

"In my early days there were few schools to help us in the pursuit of learning.

If we wanted to climb, we had first to make our own ladders".

Benjamin Brierley (1825-1896),

English weaver and self taught writer/publisher in Lancashire dialect.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• judo

• oneill

• PenChalet

• Henricum_Tropen

Hi judo

I'm new here and from the other side of the Pennines to your signature, Benjamin Brierley! Like you, also had a fountain pen in the 60s at school (In the 'big class' at junior school, they switched us from pencil to pen, by making an order for the whole class for Conway Stewart pens they even had customised with our names engraved on. Not a posh school, just a West Riding village school! I have longed to find another maroon 1960s' Conway Stewart ever since!

At high school I used a Platignum with an italic nib. At one point I had an orange one. Don't remember the others. Then later the ubiquitous Parker Jotters. I've never not had a fountain pen but only got really interested in them in the past few years.

Have learned a lot lurking here, too. Anyway hello and welcome.

Welcome !

Do you recall which Parker fountain you used in school in the 1960's ? In the late 1960's, mine was a Parker 45. I still carry one today. Could yours have been a Parker 17 or 19 ? I think they were UK pens, when you all were called "Britain". Have a look.

http://parkerpens.net/apis.html

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hi judo

I'm new here and from the other side of the Pennines to your signature, Benjamin Brierley! Like you, also had a fountain pen in the 60s at school (In the 'big class' at junior school, they switched us from pencil to pen, by making an order for the whole class for Conway Stewart pens they even had customised with our names engraved on. Not a posh school, just a West Riding village school! I have longed to find another maroon 1960s' Conway Stewart ever since!

At high school I used a Platignum with an italic nib. At one point I had an orange one. Don't remember the others. Then later the ubiquitous Parker Jotters. I've never not had a fountain pen but only got really interested in them in the past few years.

Have learned a lot lurking here, too. Anyway hello and welcome.

Thanks for your fast response from across the Pennines. I used to use italic nibs in the dip pens for practicing calligraphy but never spent long enough to be proficient.

Welcome !

Do you recall which Parker fountain you used in school in the 1960's ? In the late 1960's, mine was a Parker 45. I still carry one today. Could yours have been a Parker 17 or 19 ? I think they were UK pens, when you all were called "Britain". Have a look.

http://parkerpens.net/apis.html

I can't really remember what type of Parker I used, but they were all cheap student pens. I started off using an aerometric filler with an ink bottle (disaster waiting to happen in my school satchel), then progressed to cartridges when they became more widely available at low cost. Looking at the link you attached they looked like an early Parker 17 but can't be sure.

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. I have learned so much here too!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Welcome to FPN, Judo and I will enjoy reading your comments and sharing your experience with us!

Francois

Many thanks for all the messages of welcome.

I've been a member of FPN since 2014 and have benefited from a lot of the useful information packed within the site. I've made little contribution since then, but am determined to start here in a small way. I had used a cheap Parker fountain pen throughout school in the 1960s and about the same time was given a set of dip pens with calligraphy nibs which I used to practice different styles. The urge for the 'real stuff' didn't appear again until I retired from work and had more free time. I started a small collection of inkwells, then became gripped by the fountain pen bug in 2014 when I bought a used Waterman CF and a mid-market Parker Expert 2 at auction to try to improve my handwriting. I began to read on FPN of the extensive history in design of nibs, feeds and filling methods. I bought some older refurbished pens to play around with, but soon my engineering background meant that I had to progress to buying unrestored examples and bringing them back to collectable condition. This, to me, is the real joy. Thanks again for all the help I've received on these pages and I'll try to post some words later elsewhere on the pens I have collected on the way.

Hi From an ex Geordie been in Australia since 1962!!!!!!!!!! in the old days in Co Durham we used to use a book called an Excercise Book during English which had three lines and over time it would improve your

Handwriting Trust Me. oneill

Hello and Welcome to active posting on FPN!! Glad to have you join in!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!