Selecting A Pencil For 100Th Video On Youtube

clutchsituation

Hey Folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I run the "Clutch Situation" channel on YouTube.

I'm approaching my 100th video and I'd like to do something special for a review. Money is usually a huge barrier for me but I'm considering opening the purse strings a bit for this milestone. I'm looking into perhaps getting a classic or "legacy" pencil for this video. A pencil that has a legendary reputation and should be in a collection or is just generally a joy to write with. I'm setting my price limit at about 75-125 dollars. That's a lot for me. I'm a public school teacher.

I should also mention that I want a functional writing instrument with nice action. Being able to use it is important to me I don't want it to just sit there.

Candidates could include:

Faber-Castell Ambition Pearwood

I generally like Faber-Castell mechanisms and the Ambition line looks nice. ~100 USD

Pilot Vanishing Point H-1005

Obviously a legendary reputation, but I ask myself if it is really worth it to spend either 80 USD (low point) or 150 USD (several options on eBay) for a pencil that was considered economy back in the day. The 80 dollar offerings on eBay usually sacrifice condition. I've never held one in hand, so I just don't know what the action is like and how likely it is to break. How does it compare to the Pentel Technica-X? That pencil also has a legendary reputation but it is very clearly an economy pencil with lower tolerance manufacturing standards.

Pelikan P200 "Green Marble"

Green is my favorite color and the aesthetics of this pencil impress me. Pelikan has a great reputation and this pencil is considered one of its classics as far as I can tell. I don't know anything about Pelikan mechanisms. There is a tendency in luxury pencils, it seems, to scrimp on mechanisms and I don't know if I'd be taking a chance here. I'm hoping to hear from some of you who may have familiarity with Pelikan mechanisms and products. They retail for 145 USD, are commonly listed at 116 USD, and can be found for 80 USD on eBay. My chief hesitation is that I'm really just paying for a pretty standard pencil with 24 ct gold plating on the pocket clip. I also don't know much about the rest of the Souveran series and maybe the 400/800 is worth a look? The green color would be important to me.

Rotring Newton 600 Lava

I love the Rotring Newtons and the Lava is just about as legendary as they come. My only barriers here are price (likely 150 USD) and the fact that it would be a duplicate Newton for me (I have one in silver) and I try to get variety in my collection whenever possible.

Caran D'Ache Ecridor line

This might also be out of my price point as most of them hover in the 150-250 USD range. My only experience with Caran D'Ache is the Fixpencil line and the mechanism on those is unimpressive. I worry that the same mechanism is used in their luxury models. Advice is appreciated.

My pie-in-the-sky might be a c. 1990s Rotring Trio or the Porsche TecFlex line.

I have also seen people mention the Parker 51 on the "what pencil are you using today?" topic but I know very little about it or why people are enthusiasts.

What insights do you have about any of these suggestions or suggestions of your own? Thanks in advance!

-Michael, "Clutch Situation"

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• clutchsituation

• truthpil

• milkb0at

Personally, when it comes to mechanical pencils, it's all about the writing experience for me, not style. So today, if I were you I would be putting up the Uni Kuro Toga pencil for the 100th video. Maybe the new Kuro Toga Advance model with the 2X rotation speed and higher quality mechanism parts. Here's a link:

https://www.jetpens.com/Uni-Kuru-Toga-Advance-Mechanical-Pencils/ct/4274

But if you still insist on something with a vintage design...

The Parker Duofold pencil is timeless and is available in both vintage and modern versions that are essentially interchangeable. If you shop around, you should be able to get a decent second-hand Duofold pencil for around $100. Keep in-mind, like most vintage and vintage-style mechanical pencils the pencil will use a larger diameter lead compared with modern pencils, 0.9mm in the case of the typical Duofold pencil. So be prepared for a very different writing experience compared with your typical modern mechanical pencil. Here's a picture of a Duofold pencil linked from the Web:

parker_duofold_pencil.jpg?w=595&h=446

Picture URL: https://penboxblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/parker_duofold_pencil.jpg?w=595&h=446

The Parker Duofold pencil was introduced in 1923 I believe, but it took one or two years for the the design settle to what you see in the picture above above. The vintage Duofold pencil came in two sizes, Senior and Junior. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you the lengths of both versions - which you should have to verify what you are buying. As for the modern Dufold pencils, I think there are two sizes as well, a standard and an International version. I know the International version fountain pens are smaller, but I don't know about the pencils. Perhaps someone who knows more about this subject can chime in, or ask on the Parker forum here on the FPN.

Good Luck, David

Edited by Drone

Thanks for the info on the Duofold. I assume it is a twist mechanism.

I have reviewed virtually very Kuru Toga model on the Channel already, including the Advance, which is my most recent review.

Thanks for the info on the Duofold. I assume it is a twist mechanism.

I have reviewed virtually very Kuru Toga model on the Channel already, including the Advance, which is my most recent review.

Yes, the Duofold twists to repel & retract. I didn't look at your YouTube channel before posting (Doh!) I'm watching your Kuro Toga Advance review now. Thanks, David

It's me again... I just saw this on the JetPens New Arrivals page:

Kaweco Special Brass Mechanical Pencil - 0.5 mm $54.50

https://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Special-Brass-Mechanical-Pencil-0.5-mm/pd/21237

121298.jpg?mark64=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5qZXRwZW

Picture URL: https://static2.jetpens.com/images/a/000/121/121298.jpg?mark64=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5qZXRwZW5zLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvYXNzZXRzL3dhdGVybWFyay5wbmc&markalign64=dG9wLHJpZ2h0&markscale=19&s=b250d68fdd523fdb2902e84d17ea8791

I think this new modern pencil has a vintage look - maybe it's the best of both worlds. For me however a clip is absolutely necessary. So I think you would need to add one of the accommodation (removable) clips that Kaweco sells. But I'm not sure if the clip color would match. Also brass tends to tarnish over time unless polished and I'm not sure if you would get a dissimilar metal problem between the pen and the clip.

Here's a link to the Kaweco accommodation clips:

https://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Pen-Clips/ct/3210

Have fun, David

There is a tendency in luxury pencils, it seems, to scrimp on mechanisms and I don't know if I'd be taking a chance here.

This is the sad thing I've been realizing as I hunt for my first "nice" pencil.

It seems like the best and most state-of-the-art mechanisms are reserved for pencils that look better suited to a child's backpack than a CEO's desk. It's as if the pencils made by fountain pen companies only have the technology that was used back when fountain pens were in common use.

Is there any luxury pencil out there that has any features like the Kuru Toga line or the cool lead-saving feature on some of the Platinum pencils?

Spent quite some time last night on your YouTube channel...great stuff! Looking forward to finding out which pencil you decide on.

Edited by TruthPil

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I asked JetPens about a clip for the Kaweco Special Brass Mechanical Pencil ($54.50) which can be seen:

https://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Special-Brass-Mechanical-Pencil-0.5-mm/pd/21237

Here is their reply:

--------

Hi David,

Thank you for your email!

The only clip that fit sthe new Kweco Special Brass Mechanical Pencils is this one:

* Kaweco Special N Clip - Chrome

https://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Special-N-Clip-Chrome/pd/12479#index=1

In our experience, the different metals has not been an issue--we've used a Kaweco chrome clip on a brass Kaweco pen and it hasn't had any issues in the months they've been used together.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or if there is anything else we can help you with. Thank you for your patience, and have a great day!

Best Regards,
Antonia
JetPens

--------

Unfortunately, the recommended clip is only available in a chrome finish, which may or may-not work for you on an all brass pencil.

On the Kaweco Web site this clip is called the "Kaweco SPECIALNostalgic Octagonal Clip Chrome" and indeed, the clip only comes in chrome. This is the Kaweco page with all their accommodation clips:

https://www.kaweco-pen.com/en/accessories/clips/

BTW what JetPens calls the "Kaweco Special Brass Mechanical Pencil", is called the "Kaweco CLASSIC Front Part Black" on the Kaweco site. But the pencil shown on the Kaweco page is all brass, there are no black parts. Here's a link to the Kaweco page:

https://www.kaweco-pen.com/en/pens/pencils/494/kaweco-classic-front-part-black?c=32

And finally (yes there is an end to this), just for fun here's a link to all of Kaweco's mechanical pencils:

https://www.kaweco-pen.com/en/pens/pencils/

Edited by Drone

It seems like the best and most state-of-the-art mechanisms are reserved for pencils that look better suited to a child's backpack than a CEO's desk. It's as if the pencils made by fountain pen companies only have the technology that was used back when fountain pens were in common use.

Well, not really sad. I don't think my Kuru Toga Roulette will stand the test of time as well as my Cross Century has for over 30 years. On the other hand, this makes mechanical pencils far more affordable than fountain pens.

BTW I recall seeing this Cross ballpoint pen that had the option to be converted into a pencil by the use of a "cassette" refill. Ever seen it?

Agreed.

Thanks everyone for your insights. I have made my decision. Stay tuned.

Re: What gammada said: There certainly are some solid and reliable mechanisms on some "luxury" pencils. It's probably worth pointing out that JetPens just added the following to their website:

https://www.jetpens.com/Colte-Brass-Ballpoint-Pen-with-Mechanical-Pencil-Refill-Medium-Point-Black-Body/pd/20704

Agreed.

Thanks everyone for your insights. I have made my decision. Stay tuned.

Re: What gammada said: There certainly are some solid and reliable mechanisms on some "luxury" pencils. It's probably worth pointing out that JetPens just added the following to their website:

https://www.jetpens.com/Colte-Brass-Ballpoint-Pen-with-Mechanical-Pencil-Refill-Medium-Point-Black-Body/pd/20704

Too late then :-)

My choice would have been ;

1) based on price/quality : the Pentel P205

2) based on timeless beauty : Caran d'Ache Madison (original)

Nice videos, and of the pencils I own our opinions mostly match. Like you, whenever I need a pencil it's usually the Pentel P205 despite* it being the cheapest one I own.

You've reminded me I really ought to try a Rotring 600 soon, so Cult Pens will be happy with me on my next order.

I look forward to seeing what pencil you've chosen.

* Or perhaps because it's the cheapest, since I don't baby it and there are no extraneous features to get in the way

Collecting Pentel Sharps is my next biggest love. I have over three dozen of different Limited Editions.

Well, not really sad. I don't think my Kuru Toga Roulette will stand the test of time as well as my Cross Century has for over 30 years. On the other hand, this makes mechanical pencils far more affordable than fountain pens.

I see what you mean about longevity, but my question is why can't MP manufacturers put the same innovative designs they use for the cheap school MPs or not-so-cheap-but ugly drafting MPs into a gorgeous writing instrument?

For example, I chose a Uni/Mitsubishi Pure Malt M5-2005 for my first "nice" looking MP and it arrived in the mail today. It looks fantastic and has rock-solid construction, yet lacks any of the newer features the same company puts into their Kuru Toga line. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to change the externals to turn something into not only a technical but also visual work of art.

:::Sigh:::...sorry for venting. :P

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I see what you mean about longevity, but my question is why can't MP manufacturers put the same innovative designs they use for the cheap school MPs or not-so-cheap-but ugly drafting MPs into a gorgeous writing instrument?

For example, I chose a Uni/Mitsubishi Pure Malt M5-2005 for my first "nice" looking MP and it arrived in the mail today. It looks fantastic and has rock-solid construction, yet lacks any of the newer features the same company puts into their Kuru Toga line. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to change the externals to turn something into not only a technical but also visual work of art.

:::Sigh:::...sorry for venting. :P

Preach! I mean, some of them are even fountain pen manufacturers. Can't they see the potential of that market?

Also, haven't they seen the prices Excaliburs and H1005s and other awesome vintage pencils go for? And if they have, isn't that enough to make them at least consider bringing them back?

clutchsituation... interesting

since the most recent reviews have covered Pentel Graph 1000...

I don't anything else that covers anything interesting

Kaweco MPs? Pilot Croquis? F-C design line up MPs? GvFC MPs? I would have said Pentel Orenznero is interesting but if you already have an orenz you already know what to expect.

the Kuro-toga advance would be interesting to look into but if you already have a kuro-toga pipeslide you almost know what to expect

Edited by Algester

Well, why not go for the obvious, a pencil, the good old classic standard wooden shaft hexagonal pencil .. Tombow, Mitsubishi Uni, Faber C. Staedtler, Derwen and so may others .. is it not the real PENCIL ..

Well, why not go for the obvious, a pencil, the good old classic standard wooden shaft hexagonal pencil .. Tombow, Mitsubishi Uni, Faber C. Staedtler, Derwen and so may others .. is it not the real PENCIL ..

It would be obvious, except for the facts that mechanical pencils are what I love, that is what the Channel is dedicated to, and I asked for mechanical pencil recommendations.