The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Monami Olika Fp's Now At Jetpens, $5.50 Ea.

monami olika jetpens korea

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Drone

Drone

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:18

Hi Everyone,

My new JetPens Newsletter says they are now carrying the Monami Olika fountain pens (made in S. Korea) for $5.50 each.

https://www.jetpens....in-Pens/ct/4266

At $5.50 I think the the price is a bit high, but JetPens will be JetPens. Here in Indonesia the same pen costs half as much. But hey, $5.50 isn't gonna break the bank - right? ;)

The Olika takes proprietary ink cartridges, it and comes with three in black. JetPens does't sell additional cartridges which come in boxes of 5, but you can syringe refill them. I've never seen a converter for this pen, but I'll bet someone can hack a converter of some sort to work. The pen can probably be coaxed into working as an eyedropper filler, if you like that sort of thing.

Here is something noted in the JetPens description that I did not know before...

"Note: Instead of a plastic feed, this pen uses a fiber wick to draw ink to the nib. This can make it difficult and time-consuming to clean all of the ink out of the pen if you want to change ink colors."

The Monami Olika has been discussed before here on the FPN. For Example:

http://www.fountainp...a/#entry3691929

FWIW here is a link to the Monami homepage:

http://www.monami.com/

Have Fun, David

Edited by Drone, 03 August 2017 - 03:19.

Sponsored Content

#2 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:42

Thanks David - the Pilot Varsity and Petit1 pens also use a wick feed - as do a number of other cheap entrance-level pens.  I haven't found them that hard to clean out, but I wouldn't be surprised to discover that they do eventually clog or otherwise become unusable with repeated refilling...

#3 Drone

Drone

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:52

Thanks David - the Pilot Varsity and Petit1 pens also use a wick feed - as do a number of other cheap entrance-level pens.  I haven't found them that hard to clean out, but I wouldn't be surprised to discover that they do eventually clog or otherwise become unusable with repeated refilling...

Good point about the potential for clogging up...

#4 Flippy

Flippy

Haw yee

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:50

I have found Olikas to be less than 2$ here.  I'm pretty surprised that it costs THAT much.  :o

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of the truth

-Albert Einstein

#5 Drone

Drone

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:55

I have found Olikas to be less than 2$ here.  I'm pretty surprised that it costs THAT much.  :o

Where did you find an Olika fountain pen for $2 in the U.S.?

#6 cleosmama

cleosmama

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2017 - 00:15

I bought one. The purple Olika comes with purple cartridges. JetPens sells the cartridges for $5.50 (basically the cost of the pen). It writes pretty well; I like the ink color. 

Edited by cleosmama, 08 August 2017 - 00:15.

#7 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:18

it takes time, but a bulb syringe can clean a wick completely (obviously NEVER use a pigmented or shimmer ink in those pens) however, you'll never get it completely clean, the inks will stain it, even though they are cleaned.

I've been cleaning my platinum felt brush pen repeatedly, and it's still as good as it was.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: monami, olika, jetpens, korea

Sponsored Content

|