Visconti Limited Edition Gross Nib Misrepresentation Issue

fountainpenlady

Understood. From what I gathered from the parts I read it seemed that EF nibs just may not suit you. I see that that is not the case. I have one Japanese needle point nib. Sadly I have it in a pocket pen and I prefer larger pens, so I do not use it much as I would like. But it is a really, really fine nib! And scratchy if I am not careful.

Which reminds my. Early on in my FP life I tried put vintage dip pens. I have some with tines nearly a inch long, perhaps even longer. Being gold, there are axtremely flexible. Being old, I was extra careful using them, not wanting to break them. At last years Maruzen event, I had the opportunity to have my writing analyzed; pressure, angle, yawl and perhaps a couple othervpoints which I can not think what they might have been. Anyway, I right with a very light touch, which I attribute to my experience with vintage dip pens. Whatever the reason, my needle point nib is no bother despite also using stub nibs.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• lionheartlee

• invisuu

• Tinjapan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Understood. From what I gathered from the parts I read it seemed that EF nibs just may not suit you. I see that that is not the case. I have one Japanese needle point nib. Sadly I have it in a pocket pen and I prefer larger pens, so I do not use it much as I would like. But it is a really, really fine nib! And scratchy if I am not careful.

Which reminds my. Early on in my FP life I tried put vintage dip pens. I have some with tines nearly a inch long, perhaps even longer. Being gold, there are axtremely flexible. Being old, I was extra careful using them, not wanting to break them. At last years Maruzen event, I had the opportunity to have my writing analyzed; pressure, angle, yawl and perhaps a couple othervpoints which I can not think what they might have been. Anyway, I right with a very light touch, which I attribute to my experience with vintage dip pens. Whatever the reason, my needle point nib is no bother despite also using stub nibs.

Interesting. The only experience so far I have had with dip pens have been a couple glass ones. I prefer wide pen bodies. They tend to be thin in width and uncomfortable to my hands. I may have a touch of arthritis. Since I have gotten older, wide girth pens are more comfortable. I have a Jinhao 159, which is one of the biggest sizes of pens owned. The homo sapiens believe or not reminds me of a Pelikan M800. Those are probably the least ones I prefer to write with in terms of big ones. I love EF nibs. They can though as in several of the ones I have put down different variations of fine lines, they tend to be individually fickle in terms of not putting down fines line as much as I would prefer. I trick myself into making due though. Once years ago, I had a Pilot Decimo and also a Vanishing Point. They put down a very line which was too fine. I think both were fine points and not extra fine though. I have a nib in my Pelikan M800 which is a Waverly nib. You can write with it feed up and also feed down. Now, when you write with it feed up, the line is finer than when you write with it the regular way and I like it even though it was formally a bit wetter until I had it adjusted by a Nibmeister during our most recent Pen Show and now it is a bit better at emitting the right amount of ink when I write with it. Other than that one time with the Omas, I have not had the pleasure really of having the perfect XFine nib laying down the perfect fine line I prefer. The quest continues. The joy of finding the perfect fountain pen, and in the meantime, enjoying purchasing the ones which don't exactly measure up. :lticaptd:

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I hear ya. The chase is at keadt half the fun! Good luck. Just remember, generally speaking, Japanese fine nibs and especially extra fine tend to be thinnier than western nibs of the same designation.

I prefer fine and extra fine nibs too and I hated the fine palladium nib on my HS Dark Ages. I finally had Coles swap it for a 14K fine intended for the Van Gogh Maxi (requires a collar swap too). I think the cost was $125 plus shipping. It was in their stock so it only took a few days.

Edited by Cordovian

I prefer fine and extra fine nibs too and I hated the fine palladium nib on my HS Dark Ages. I finally had Coles swap it for a 14K fine intended for the Van Gogh Maxi (requires a collar swap too). I think the cost was $125 plus shipping. It was in their stock so it only took a few days.

How does the nib feel? Does it feel like an extra-fine? I am now awaiting an extra fine in the Palladian. It should get to me next week. I hope I don't have to go back on being unable to write with the Palladian since it has taken more time and money. The Mazzi is a Limited Edition so I doubt I will be able to switch out the collar and nib as you did.

Edited by fountainpenlady

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

How does the nib feel? Does it feel like an extra-fine? I am now awaiting an extra fine in the Palladian. It should get to me next week. I hope I don't have to go back on being unable to write with the Palladian since it has taken more time and money. The Mazzi is a Limited Edition so I doubt I will be able to switch out the collar and nib as you did.

Mine was scratchy, no matter how much I tried to smooth it out. Under a loupe, the tines were perfectly aligned and the tipping looked perfect as well. But as soon as it touched paper...ugh! Whenever I tried to write fast it also had a habit of gushing ink one second and then running dry the next. Since I use my pens mostly as note takers at work being able to write fast with them is a requirement.

Maybe I just had bad luck. Maybe I just couldn't adjust my writing style to fit the nib. Either way, I'm totally turned off by Dream Touch nibs now. Perhaps one day I'll try a medium or broad one to see if it's better but, since there is no local Visconti seller here, I'd have to just take a chance. I really don't want to go through the hassle again so I think I'll just stick to gold or steel nibs for now.

I would think that the Mazi takes the same nib assembly as the rest of the over sized HS's. Maybe not though.

Edited by Cordovian

Mine was scratchy, no matter how much I tried to smooth it out. Under a loupe, the tines were perfectly aligned and the tipping looked perfect as well. But as soon as it touched paper...ugh! Whenever I tried to write fast it also had a habit of gushing ink one second and then running dry the next. Since I use my pens mostly as note takers at work being able to write fast with them is a requirement.

Maybe I just had bad luck. Maybe I just couldn't adjust my writing style to fit the nib. Either way, I'm totally turned off by Dream Touch nibs now. Perhaps one day I'll try a medium or broad one to see if it's better but, since there is no local Visconti seller here, I'd have to just take a chance. I really don't want to go through the hassle again so I think I'll just stick to gold or steel nibs for now.

I would think that the Mazi takes the same nib assembly as the rest of the over sized HS's. Maybe not though.

You pull out the nib and feed on a Mazzi. You have to find the spot where the feed aligns in order for the nib and feed to fit comfortably back into the housing without a lot of the nib showing beyond the indication of nib size on the nib itself. The housing does look the same since it has that twist peculiar groove design on the housing (sorry, terminology escapes me right now) which causes the cap to lock securely when you twist and push. I have long enjoyed gold nibs though. For years, 14kt 18kt. Yet, for several years now, I have found I like steel somewhat best. One of my favorite pens in rotation now is a big red Jinhao 159 with a Goulet extra fine nib. I have about three of their nibs in total. They seem to write smoothly from unpackaging. I have put them in Ahabs and of course Jinhao 159. I asked for the dreamtouch nib for the Mazzi to be tested and am hoping that it was done and I have better luck. I don't know much about the dreamtouch, except it is what the Mazzi is supposed to come with and I wanted to maintain the integrity since it is a limited edition and also I enjoy extra fine nibs. It seems as if unless traditional, pen manufacturer or sometimes in providing new designs, they feel as if a gimmick is necessary. For me, simply a solid gold nib or steel which writes as expected in its size and smoothly is all the gimmick needed along with a body one finds pleasing to the sight and comfortable to the touch. Anything else I consider bells and whistles and they don't need to be on a fountain pen, in my opinion; causes too much noise and detracts from the pleasure of simply enjoying the right paper, ink coming from a well-balanced fountain pen.

Edited by fountainpenlady