Engraving A Fountain Pen

AJR04

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone can share their experiences with having their pens engraved?

I went to a shop and they insisted the pens I showed them were plastic based (A Jinhao X750 and a Platinum Plaisir) and could not be engraved. I'm willing to believe that maybe the Jinhao could cause some trouble, but the Plaisir definitely has metal in the body. Is it possible that they were just being stubborn in hopes of me buying something out of their cases? Or what?

Thanks!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• ParkerDuofold

• AJR04

• ac12

Well, engraving is a really personal venture. Be sure it is something you really want to do. Yes, it may say, "this is my pen," but also make sure that permanence is what you really want.

As far as engraving pens such as the Jinhao and Plaisir, it may actually cost you more to engrave the pens than their actual cost (dependent on the actual engraving). Personally (for my own thoughts), I would save engraving for a special pen for a special occasion, and I'd likely buy the pen from a source that offers engraving. Yes, that means a more expensive pen without doubt, but then the engraving will have more meaning if you decide to go in that direction. The engraver you went to may also have had an issue with perhaps breaking or ruining the pens you brought them and was concerned about liability.

I've had a couple of pens engraved. The first was a Parker Sonnet. At the time, early in my fountain pen usage, I wanted that sign that read, "mine." I had the engraving done as an option from the pen seller. I was disappointed. The engraving was ok, but the pen itself was a dud (and possibly not a real Sonnet, there were many fakes out there at the time). I was angry with myself for having my name put to a pen that didn't write well and was likely not the real deal, either. I hadn't done my research.

The next pen I had engraved a few years later and was a pen stepped up in price. I had Brian Gray of Edison Pens make a Collier for me in a luscious wine swirl, and I had only my initials engraved on the cap. It is a nice pen and it writes well.

Now, these two pens were the only I've had engraved. I now have hundreds of pens (yep), varying in price from cheapest ever to "holy cow, you paid what for a pen??" I've found that engraving does not really make the pen more special to me, and it's the pen itself which is special. Custom fountain pens are even more special, and it's pretty easy to say, "don't touch" with a personal design element other than regular engraving, though that doesn't mean someone else won't covet it, regardless, and try to claim as their own. Pens get pilfered, regardless of design and price - and engraving.

Right now, the only reason I'd consider engraving a name, is for a special gift to mark a special occasion, such as a graduation or other big mark in another's life and/or career. But, for myself, I don't see myself having more pens engraved. It can be costly and really doesn't add to my own valuation of owning and using the pens.

Edit to add: Instead of engraving a pen as a standalone gift, a suggestion is to try and put together a special "package" that has more meaning to the recipient. In example, I had a good friend who was getting his doctorate. His favorite author is Mark Twain. So, instead of just a pen, I scoured around for Mark Twain related items to put into a larger package for him (it didn't hurt that Mark Twain appeared on the cover of Time magazine at the time either, as a copy of that went into the package as well). I went slightly expensive, looking for a pen of his (Twain's) era, an antique Conklin crescent filler as endorsed by Twain, but I could just as easily subbed the modern Conklin crescent. I found old postcards from Hannibal MO, Twain's old stomping grounds, but could just as easily have used modern day postcards. I went more expensive, but could easily have kept the cost in a more affordable range. The point is, I put together a package that played to the passion of my friend which also incorporated a pen.

These are my personal thoughts, and others will have different and varying opinions.

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I probably should have added, the idea of engraving the pens was an idea I was exploring with some business friends as awards. We are writers and were thinking of unique and useful awards/trophies.

On a personal level, I am in agreement. It would have to be a special reason for me to engrave one of my pens. Right now my Plaisir is my prized pen. I brought it up because I was a bit insulted that they felt my pen was cheap/had no metal in it.

heh, I take a long time to write and do edits.

They may have been concerned about ruining your pen and their liability. There may be another engraver out there willing to take on the task. :)

Also, instead of engraving, maybe put together a pen and journal or paper and ink package in the recipients' favorite colors. Something like this can be done relatively inexpensively and still be special noting you took the time to look at their personal choice. A Pilot Metropolitan in an eye popping color with matching ink and a nice paper or journal is just as special, perhaps, as an engraved name. Mix and match is fun, too. Roam around an online shop like Goulet Pens for such ideas.

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone can share their experiences with having their pens engraved?

I went to a shop and they insisted the pens I showed them were plastic based (A Jinhao X750 and a Platinum Plaisir) and could not be engraved. I'm willing to believe that maybe the Jinhao could cause some trouble, but the Plaisir definitely has metal in the body. Is it possible that they were just being stubborn in hopes of me buying something out of their cases? Or what?

Thanks!

It also depends on what engraving equipment they have. Some equipment may not work as well on certain materials.

If the pen is plastic, maybe you want it pressed rather than cut.

If the pen is lacquered, that would be difficult, as engraving may chip off the lacquer, exposing the base metal.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Having had an expensive pen stolen from my desk at work, I can see the value in engraving a pen that you take into the office.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The only pen I own that has been engraved is a Parker 45. Standard/plastic barrel rather than Flighter which is Stainless steel. It was that way when purchased.

If I ever sid do it it would be a special occasion pen. My True Writer Silver Anniversary is a special/limited edition pen which I got for my 55th birthday. Engraving was an extra cost option. I passed. But Levenger offers this on all their True Writer pens and other items too.

I thought the x450, x750 and 159 Jinhao pens were all brass barrel pens. I know the 159 is. According to Goulet both the others have a metal body as well.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Hello AJR,

I've purchased a few engraved pens... both for myself and as presentation gifts for employees being promoted to a managerial position or when a good friend's kid graduates... and here is what I can tell you:

Levenger charges $6 for initials and $12 for the full name. But they only sell middle and upper echelon pens.

Pen Chalet will monogram a paltry Metro or Jinhao... which they sell... but it will cost more than the pen... $19.95 (No, I've never had this done, but I checked their site quickly - I know they offer the service).

I also purchased a Waldmann Tuscany, which is a solid silver pen and had that hand-engraved by an artisan at a jewelry store... I won't quote a price on that because it was done at a discount through a friend of a friend. ;)

This sums up my experience with engraved pens. :)

In sum, wherever you went... avoid the place... the guy is a moax... if he cannot tell the X-750 isn't plastic, I wouldn't let him engrave my bird feeder.

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

I would never have any of my pens engraved. I know they will all last longer than I will and no-one else in the future will want a pen with my name on it. :)

Pen Chalet will monogram a paltry Metro or Jinhao... which they sell... but it will cost more than the pen... $19.95 (No, I've never had this done, but I checked their site quickly - I know they offer the service).

- Anthony

Pen Chalet has an engraver who does plastic engraving for the price stated above. I had one of my Jinhao's engraved, and they did a fantastic job! So you could probably find engravers that do plastic engraving, if you don't want to contact Pen Chalet or something.

Edited by CharlieAndrews

I got an award for 20 years' service with my company, and used it to buy a Yard-o-Led pocket barley pen. It has a space for engraving on, so I had my initials put on by a local jeweller. They got the spacing slightly wrong. Annoying but it hasn't put me off - this year I'm due another award for 25 years' service and I'm planning to get a YoL pocket Victorian, which I may also have engraved. I don't think I'd do it with any other pen though.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I went to a shop and they insisted the pens I showed them were plastic based (A Jinhao X750 and a Platinum Plaisir) and could not be engraved. I'm willing to believe that maybe the Jinhao could cause some trouble, but the Plaisir definitely has metal in the body

I have a jinhao x450 engraved with my initials.

The x450 and the x750 are metal painted body and cap: don't you feel the weight of the pen,,,?

Thanks!

AJR04, I can see where they might have been coming from. There are two standard types of engravings that are used. The most common one, that most people think of, uses a diamond tip to cut into the pen. This is typically used for metals. The other type of engraving uses a laser to make the engraving. For a plastic or resin pen, the engraver would use the laser to engrave what you wanted, and then go back a fill in the engraving with either silver or gold filling, so that it matches the trim of the pen. Some engravers may not be comfortable using this technique, or may not have the equipment, but it is definitely possible!

Hope this helps!

http://www.penchalet.com/images/logo-amazon.jpg

www.penchalet.com

I have a jinhao x450 engraved with my initials.

The x450 and the x750 are metal painted body and cap: don't you feel the weight of the pen,,,?

Yeah. I unscrewed (dismantled) it and showed them the inside. They just dismissed me. I figured maybe I didn't know as well as someone who engraves all day. After hearing from all of you, though, I think I should go with my gut more.

Thanks everyone. You've given me a lot of great information to go on and more options to chase.

Plastic can be engraved, I've bought 4-5 old pens with engraving on them. A couple were filled with Gold wax. (I really wouldn't think of engraving lacquer covered brass.) That engraver was BS'ing you or was not well trained...or trained at all.

Engraved pens sell for 10-15% less.....so look to buy other folks names. :lol: One a rolled gold P-45 that looks sharp; others German piston pens....

I'd engrave a higher class pen....but the plastic one could be engraved, perhaps even better than a covered metal body....think of the lacquer flaking off.

Back in the days of B&W TV or even when some had color TV, (before a used pen market was even a dream) a pen with your name on it was a mark of class. One got one for graduating HS or Collage, an Anniversary...or back in the old days, when one retired from a company..............back when one could stay much of a life time with the same company. :o ..............or just because you wanted too.

There were pen collectors way before the net...........had I not been a poor workers kid, I could have had my fountain pen engraved instead of having to buy a new one....Sheaffer, once, that ugly plain post '60 metal capped Esterbook once or twice, or even the Wearever or collectors were so desperate they even stole my Venus fountain pen. :yikes:

With my name on any, I'd not had to buy one every year....should have done the same to the yearly Jotter too.

I don't have any right now, but do occasionally think of it. When I gave some pens to my godchild I had his nickname engraved in them or at least on the clip.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I like used vintage pens engrayed with their former owners' names/initials.

Me, too. I think it gives the pen both character and history.

Monogrammed pens are a great way to commemorate the milestones in our lives... and the lives of those who are dear to us... they can also make a touching remembrance of ourselves that we can bequeath to our loved ones after we're gone.

I'm far more concerned about the people who are part of my life today; rather than the complete strangers who will be bidding on my pens 100 years from now, (many out of whom will bid out of abject greed).

Be well and enjoy life. :)

-Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I love having engraved pens.

I've got Sandy Fyfe ~ Poet engraved on one of my Parker Jotters. It gives me a kick to pick it up and use it - and it is inspirational - so it adds a bit of value to the pen to me as a user. It's a psychological boost which shouldn't be underestimated.

So, yes - if these are gifts/awards for writers then by all means get them engraved - writer, poet, novelist. It all helps.

James Scott Bell describes having a mug with Writer emblazoned on as inspirational - so if these are gifts/awards for writers - then go for it.

I recommend taking a look on e-bay as there are a lot of businesses that get bulk discounts on Parkers and such like and add the engraving you want. They are usually much cheaper than the High Street.

I would never engrave a pen unless it was for some special purpose -- and I would never buy an engraved pen