How Do You Carry Your Pens?

Peterson

If I am just out and about , then usually I would be carrying my TN type journal/diary and had the pen either clipped to the shirt or jean pocket or just held along the journal with the bungee cord. If I need to carry more than one , They would go into one of several of my hand crafted pen pouch ( cloth / silk / quilled with padding ). Had a few leather pen pouch but find them not so great against the ones made with various textiles.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Flounder

• sidthecat

• Peterson

A hard eyeglasses case can accommodate 2 or 3 pens depending on length and/or girth and be carried in pants pants quite safely.

Use the shirt pocket for the Bic to lend out.

I use a metal, snap to close eyeglass case if I'm carrying an vintage pen.

My current "deployment pen" is a Super 8 hotel freebie that I carry in my shirt pocket as a decoy.

Basically, what you said. :D

Carrying pens in pants pocket is a sure way to break them -- I carry 3-5 pens daily in shirt pocket plus notebook

I wouldn't carry a normal pen that way, but I think there's some pens that should be able to take it, especially if you clip them to the pocket mouth to keep them upright. Smaller and/or more robust metal ones, like the metal Kaweco Sport pens perhaps?

Edited by SoulSamurai

I generally wear either polo shirts or T-shirts with single pockets, and although they aren't ideal for pen carry, I typically have one or two fountain pens in there.

If I I have either a laptop case or other bag with me, I have other pens in a cloth pen wrap in one of those. Not just fountain pens, but mechanical pencils, gel pens, and even ballpoints.

And I do carry a Fisher bullet Space Pen in a pants pocket. Very rarely used, but always there in an emergency.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I carry a Parker 61 Insignia in a homemade Midori/Traveller's Company passport-sized leather notebook with a built-in pen slot. I alternate between a Kaweco Sport and a kit built pocket pen and both of these have their own leather sleeves. Other pens, when I carry them, are in leather sleeves if they are going to be loose in a backpack or pants pocket.

Gord

post-115431-0-12775000-1501773517_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I carry three fountain pens and two wood case pencils in my shirt pocket most of every day.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

A Nock Sinclair. One of the TRULY AWESOME (eyeroll) things about being female is that a lot of clothes designers think we have no need of pockets. I have a pair of jeans that has THREE fake pockets. GAH. *end rant*

Just in my shirt pocket, 2 FPs and a roller when I go to work, 1 FP when I'm just out and about.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Depends on how many I have with me at any given time.

If it's just a couple, I have a leather pen sleeve (a sop from Parker for screwing up a repair a few years ago) which stays in my purse (I went out of my way to find one that has tall skinny pockets like my old purse did). If I need more with me, I have the case from a Thinkpad which is just the right size for about 8 pens (although I have to be a bit careful with some clips). I also have a really nice crocheted pen wrap (for 7 pens) which was a gift a couple of years ago from member Helen350. And when I was down at the Triangle Pen Show in June, I picked up what is really supposed to be a pencil wrap -- it has loops for up to 18 (but doesn't really hold quite that many since most of my pens are way thicker than your average #2 Ticonderoga). And that is really for when I'm at a show where I want to have a lot of pens with me to either use or have repaired. I also have a couple of one or two pen sleeves I've acquired over the years (annoyingly, the 2 pen zipper case from Toys in the Attic has gone walkabout in my house -- fortunately, NOT with any pens in it).

I've also, on occasion, been known to clip a pen or two to my neckline.... And at the moment, because I was in a bit of a rush this morning, the two Parker Vectors I have with me are just loose in an outer pocket of my purse.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Shirt pocket (or jacket pocket) for me 90% of the time. I lost a Pilot e95s when I kept in my shorts pocket.

Sometimes I'll clip a pen to a polo but this is less than ideal and kind of dorky. A Vacumatic Debutante slipped out and cascaded to the cement floor of Costco, nib first, when I clipped a pen this way so you would figure I would learn my lesson. Obviously not.

I echo stitchpunk's frustration with the fake pockets.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

I use alc3261's splendid pen wraps for storage, and DIY travel tubes for daily carry. I'm working on something new to carry around (no more than) 2 pens in a greater range of sizes, have gathered some thoughts and materials.

fpn_1501953934__fmt_pen_tubes_4_in_a_row

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I stopped wearing shirts with pockets long ago, so my fancy has turned to ringtops. I wear them on a lanyard (the antique version of which is called a sautoir), the sort of thing that has a loop for a memory stick. That I've started crafting my own sautoirs is an indication of lunacy and we shall not go there.

I keep my pens in individual faux leather sleeves. It's less bulky than a big pen case, and safer than going without any case at all. Plus the fakey leather is usually quite cheap, and still does the job well in most cases. If there's an immediate need for a pen, I will keep one clipped to an outside pocket of my purse, but that's always a sturdy pen I wouldn't mind losing - Lamy or Pilot Metro. I've carried pens in pockets before, but it's more hassle than it's worth, especially with pens you care about.

I stopped wearing shirts with pockets long ago, so my fancy has turned to ringtops. I wear them on a lanyard (the antique version of which is called a sautoir), the sort of thing that has a loop for a memory stick. That I've started crafting my own sautoirs is an indication of lunacy and we shall not go there.

LoL. I made one for my first ring top out of silk yarn on a lucet. The problem was the darned pen (a Morrison with a gold-fill filigree overlay) -- it likes to unscrew itself from the cap when I have it on the lanyard. Almost lost the thing several times (and in fact was so convinced I *had* lost it, I got a replacement one from a seller at OPS last year.... Then discovered the cap from the original one hanging -- still on the lanyard, mind -- from one of the glass panel clips on my storm door (with the pen itself in a crevice between the storm door and the regular front door) a week later.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Out and about I tend to be working in archives or the backrooms of museums, so all I'm allowed for work purposes outside the house, are pencils or taking photos on my iPad to record documents or artefacts.

On the rare occasion I go anywhere with a fountain pen it will be in the little elastic loop inside my old Filofax. The rigid Filofax cover keeps it safe and the elastic holds them well. Then in a bag. Only the Jinhaos go walkabout with me, too!

Smiggle pencil case stolen from my grand daughter. Holds five fountain pens, a dozen markers and pencils and other small stationery items and it has a hard case.

I use Twsbi eco box, it holds two or three fountain pens nicely. If I'm taking my pencil case, then I put my fountain pens there too. Vintage ones, I keep at home...