The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Fake Visconti Van Gogh?

visconti van gogh

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jrholwe

jrholwe

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2017 - 22:23

Hello all!

I've been an outside observer on this excellent forum for years now, but this is my forst post!

I have a question for you. I need you help identifying whether or not a Visconti Van Gogh Starry Night I recently purchased is a fake.
I purchased it off of Ebay from a company called Truphae, Inc. I could not find any bad reviews of them prior to buying from them, but, no bad reviews do not necessarily equate to a stellar company.

I received the pen today and several things struck me:
1.) the top of the cap has an unusual Visconti logo. I have a Rembrandt and it looks a bit different than this
2.) the branding of "Visconti" on the clip is not black. It's actually etched into the metal. While I find this more appealing, I have never seen it before on a Visconti pen.
3.) the colors of the finish just seem "off." While I know each piece is individual, I don't remember anyone mentioning browns in their finishes -- probably because the actual painting it is based off of has little to no brown in it...

Anyway, I would REALLY appreciate any input you all might have!

Thanks so much in advance!

Attached Images

• IMG_2865.JPG
  • IMG_2867.JPG
  • IMG_2868.JPG
  • IMG_2869.JPG
  • IMG_2870.JPG
  • IMG_2872.JPG
  • image.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2017 - 22:29

I think Visconti very recently updated the clips to engraved clips rather than the rather sloppy old style. Looks like you have a relatively newly made pen. The colour isn't something I'd worry about as the variance can be very significant and include somewhat strange stray colours.

#3 jrholwe

jrholwe

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2017 - 22:39

Update: the nib is so incredibly dry that it is virtually useless to write with.

#4 flipper_gv

flipper_gv

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2017 - 22:50

Update: the nib is so incredibly dry that it is virtually useless to write with.

Try to clean the nib unit and the converter using a little bit of soap, there might be some manufacturing oils still left in there making flow impossible.

#5 jrholwe

jrholwe

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2017 - 23:25

Try to clean the nib unit and the converter using a little bit of soap, there might be some manufacturing oils still left in there making flow impossible.

Thanks! I'll give it a try!

#6 s_t_e_v_e

s_t_e_v_e

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:03

A couple of things:

Truphae Inc. Is a genuine guy and I've had positive experience and great service from him.

The clip on newer models is laser etched due to quality issues with the paint or enamel flaking off.

Visconti changes styling on their models more often than we think and notice. The logo on the finial seems genuine to me.

Though Visconti is known to have wet nibs, I've seen a few folks get supposedly dryer nibs. As other have already suggested, I would also recommend flushing the nib unit with soap water.

That pen you have looks genuine to me. If you are not satisfied by your purchase try reaching out to the seller and sort things out. Truphae Inc should be more than happy to help, I would think.

#7 fabri00

fabri00

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:02

Nobody will counterfit a pen with a limited niche market like Visconti.

#8 Cordovian

Cordovian

Oh, shiny.

• Member - Gold

• 869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 16:44

I have the same pen and yours looks legit.

Yeah, I don't think Visconti Van Goghs are being counterfeited either but, hey, you never know.

The nib on mine was also non-functional. I tried flushing to no avail and finally took the nib out and flossed the feed. Has written perfectly ever since.

Hope you can get it working properly because they are great writers once you get them right.

Edited by Cordovian, 02 August 2017 - 16:45.

#9 Bidle

Bidle

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 17:19

Good to read the last two posts,.... as these fakes really worries me. If I find a nice pen I'm definitely going to ask for some input first. :)

#10 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2017 - 15:12

That's a genuine Visconti for sure, although Viscontis are usually more on the wet side.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#11 Andrew-AMID

Andrew-AMID

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:22

Nobody will counterfit a pen with a limited niche market like Visconti.

Yeah... I'd have to agree with fabri.

#12 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,253 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 15:30

Looks like the real deal to me.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#13 jl63_penguy

jl63_penguy

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 16:50

After selling Visconti pens for over 15 years it looks genuine to me. Although you can contact Coles of London and see what input they have.

Hello all!

I've been an outside observer on this excellent forum for years now, but this is my forst post!

I have a question for you. I need you help identifying whether or not a Visconti Van Gogh Starry Night I recently purchased is a fake.
I purchased it off of Ebay from a company called Truphae, Inc. I could not find any bad reviews of them prior to buying from them, but, no bad reviews do not necessarily equate to a stellar company.

I received the pen today and several things struck me:
1.) the top of the cap has an unusual Visconti logo. I have a Rembrandt and it looks a bit different than this
2.) the branding of "Visconti" on the clip is not black. It's actually etched into the metal. While I find this more appealing, I have never seen it before on a Visconti pen.
3.) the colors of the finish just seem "off." While I know each piece is individual, I don't remember anyone mentioning browns in their finishes -- probably because the actual painting it is based off of has little to no brown in it...

Anyway, I would REALLY appreciate any input you all might have!

Thanks so much in advance!

#14 jrholwe

jrholwe

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2017 - 19:44

I just want to thank everyone yet again for all the input! 

#15 jrholwe

jrholwe

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2017 - 19:45

I have the same pen and yours looks legit.

Yeah, I don't think Visconti Van Goghs are being counterfeited either but, hey, you never know.

The nib on mine was also non-functional. I tried flushing to no avail and finally took the nib out and flossed the feed. Has written perfectly ever since.

Hope you can get it working properly because they are great writers once you get them right.

Thanks for the advice! What do you recommend "flossing" it with? Dare I presume actual dental floss?  :roller1:

#16 Cordovian

Cordovian

Oh, shiny.

• Member - Gold

• 869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 13:54

Thanks for the advice! What do you recommend "flossing" it with? Dare I presume actual dental floss?  :roller1:

It's a process involving removing the nib and feed and clearing any debris or obstructions in the feed channel. You can use brass shims, .05mm wire or even old 35mm film as "floss". Basically anything fine enough and stiff enough to clear the channel.   

On the extreme side, I've found a couple of feeds where the feed channel was not completely formed (one was a Visconti...**sigh**) and used a scalpel to fix them. A stupid dangerous method that I do not recommend, but it did work. 

#17 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,269 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2017 - 16:25

Pen looks legit.
Khan M. Ilyas

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: visconti, van gogh

Sponsored Content