The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Vintage Ink Bottles?

vintage old bottles

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pendarion

Pendarion

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2017 - 18:54

Hope this is the right place to ask.  I'm curious.

Anyone else collect or have a few, older ink bottles?

I have some - only a couple - and they're not madly interesting and just ones I picked up years ago in various junk shops - probably dump finds.  They're  from around or just after 1900 so not so 'old' really. But I'm always looking longingly on eBay at old 19thC ink bottles - especially the fancy ones like cottages and circus tent-shaped.  And I love old blue glass, in particular, as well as green. 

Is there any reason why I couldn't decant some of my ink into one?  (Assuming I'd have to make a cork stopper?) And anyone else collect them?

Sponsored Content

#2 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,938 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2017 - 19:22

Although it is yeah rather unromantic -- let alone unvintage-like -- stay away from real cork and use a silicone cork instead. It's better for your ink and pen.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

#3 Joane

Joane

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 21:48

I don't collect ink bottles per se but I do have some old ones saved and the ones I like I will definitely reuse for new ink, having washed the bottle and cap out thoroughly, of course. In my case I only use the old bottle if I have the same ink for it today. Other than that, a few old bottles are just for artistic effect. Right now I have the equivalent new ink in old Montblanc (now with Mystery Black) and J. Herbin (with Violette Pensée) bottles. The older labels are more charming to my taste than the newer ones.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

#4 webgeckos

webgeckos

The Goodest Twin

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:12

I have one that is stoneware ceramic for "writing fluid," for a quart, and a strange glass one that apparently hung upside-down with a clipped rubber hose.

#5 Penzo

Penzo

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:04

I'm looking for vintage ink bottles too. where did you guys buy those?

#6 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:45

I have a vintage Quink bottle (the label says it is "Microfilm Black") that I think I found at an antique store one day.  It has its original cap, but it no longer screws tightly and so the bottle can't be used to store ink with the original cap.

I'm generally not a knick-knack kind of person, so I'm not planning to enlarge my collection.

Edited by ErrantSmudge, 23 August 2017 - 05:46.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vintage, old, bottles

Sponsored Content

|