The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Getting Closer...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 chad.trent

chad.trent

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2017 - 18:22

A couple weeks ago I was fortunate enough to add a second Visumaster to my collection. My goal is to own all 6 colors, but I'm further than I thought I'd ever be considering how rare it is to see them for sale.

Attached Images

• IMG_3188.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 glammers

glammers

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2017 - 18:28

Those look really nice :)

#3 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2017 - 20:38

The two pens you have do look very nice together.  Great color combination.  The quest is exciting. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#4 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 14:21

Nice find on the Blue, one of the harder colors (in my opinion) to find. Now, all six colors in the first variant? Second Variant? Third variant? :)

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#5 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 17:26

Nice!  I have one of those on my short list.

#6 chad.trent

chad.trent

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 21:55

Nice find on the Blue, one of the harder colors (in my opinion) to find. Now, all six colors in the first variant? Second Variant? Third variant? :)

One thing at a time...

#7 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,769 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:26

And pencils.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#8 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:25

And pencils.

You two have all that stuff? 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#9 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 8,769 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:37

You two have all that stuff? 

Not all 24 pieces at my house but a nice representation.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#10 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 8,769 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:46

I should elaborate...when I started with Esterbrook there were perhaps half a dozen others buying them. Esterbrook were junk box pens and pencils. The Visumasters and 1.50 pens would make it to the actual priced pen trays but were not expensive. I think it still took me a decade to get one of each color and all the pencils. Just not common and among the nicest Esterbrook there are.

I had the hardest time finding the Black Type I pen and the black pencil was found at the same time as the red one to complete the group. Sadly they are packed away until I get around to organizing the pen room.

I do have a Green Type I on the work bench now for a client. Not sure I can bring it back to full glory.

#11 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 22:07

I do have a Green Type I on the work bench now for a client.

Any way I can get on your client list for a red and grey Mod 3 (if/when you come across one)?

And why can't you get messages any more?

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#12 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2017 - 00:32

Beautiful.

If you see one of my posts and an image is missing, please copy the the URL or the link to the post and send me a PM (Private Message) so that I can upload the images. I changed hosting companies and not all of the images were uploaded.

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar?  

Get a chance to try out pens look at the TWSBI Loaners  and  Estie Loaners

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks

Fountain pens are my PREFERRED ADVANCED COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas.

#13 Tinjapan

Tinjapan

Antique

• 1,957 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2017 - 14:31

lovely, the individualy but more so together.

#14 chad.trent

chad.trent

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2017 - 18:46

And I just found out that a black icicle does indeed exist, so now I have more to add to my list...

#15 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 8,769 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 17:38

Any way I can get on your client list for a red and grey Mod 3 (if/when you come across one)?
And why can't you get messages any more?

Likely the PM box is full. Feel free to email anytime.

I didn't source the pen on the bench. It came for repair. The barrel was stained and warped a bit. The real problem is the section...mostly a crumbled mess of decay. I can make a new clear section core but the colored sleeve is a bigger problem.

#16 chad.trent

chad.trent

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2017 - 18:34

I didn't source the pen on the bench. It came for repair. The barrel was stained and warped a bit. The real problem is the section...mostly a crumbled mess of decay. I can make a new clear section core but the colored sleeve is a bigger problem.

I may have to talk to you about the clear part. The one on my blue Visumaster is pretty rough. The colored sleeve is fine though.

#17 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:21

Ouch!  Is the sleeve crumbled as well?  If so, that's a new one on me.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#18 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:39

I may have to talk to you about the clear part. The one on my blue Visumaster is pretty rough. The colored sleeve is fine though.

The visible part of your clear section appears to be a tough ink stain; part black and the rest kinda reddish.  I've had some success with that ... if the stain is on the surface and not chemically "bonded" (like the old browning of the earlier Parker Duofolds & such), it can be gently scraped off with a knife-like instrument that's not so sharp that it scars the plastic.  Then, once it's clean, the inside can be finished out with some very VERY fine abrasive plastic polish.

So I'd test the inside of the section and see if it's "bumpy" or otherwise not smooth, indicating that it's likely just some stubborn dried-up ink.  Worked for my black VM.  

Worth a look, at least.  You might get lucky. 

Best Regards
Paul

– Albert Einstein

#19 chad.trent

chad.trent

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2017 - 18:54

The visible part of your clear section appears to be a tough ink stain; part black and the rest kinda reddish.  I've had some success with that ... if the stain is on the surface and not chemically "bonded" (like the old browning of the earlier Parker Duofolds & such), it can be gently scraped off with a knife-like instrument that's not so sharp that it scars the plastic.  Then, once it's clean, the inside can be finished out with some very VERY fine abrasive plastic polish.

So I'd test the inside of the section and see if it's "bumpy" or otherwise not smooth, indicating that it's likely just some stubborn dried-up ink.  Worked for my black VM.  

Worth a look, at least.  You might get lucky. 

It is stained, but it's also got visible cracks in the window. I was able to clean it after that photo and it looks better, but I'm not confident of it being watertight.

Sponsored Content

|