Two Jinhaos

KellyMcJ

Perhaps this isn't the standard review because I have made adjustments to these pens (although so far, the X450 has only been tuned).

I specifically bought the X750 for customization- in fact I picked out the nib and upgraded converter and purchased them at the same time, never inking it with the stock nib. The X450 was given to me- I was told "Don't treat this like a valuable pen, because it isn't." so I had no qualms at all about attempting to make the nib write as wet as possible for a certain orange ink that loves wet pens (after all, I can always replace the nib right?)

These pens are blank slates- REALLY well made heavy pen bodies, good feeds and decent nibs. The converter is decent although the Schmidt converter is better. They take standard number 6 nibs such as those which can be purchased from Goulet or Nemosine. The finish on both is excellent, in fact the black lacquer on the X450 reminds me of the lacquer finish on some very high end Japanese pens. The cap snaps on with a satisfying click and holds firmly, although I do wonder how the snap mechanism will hold up over time.

With a starting price of $1-10 (depending on where you buy them) and about $20 worth of improvements at most (new nib + converter) you can have a pen that looks and writes like it costs much more than under $30. (Or keep the $1-10 pen, tune up the nib (or not) and enjoy it, because they're great pens as is. I just really enjoy the fun of messing with them.)

Although my photos don't show it much, the Shimmering Sands finish on the X750 is absolutely stunning in person. The glitter is outright prismatic, especially in certain lighting. It looks rather blah and silver in some of these photos. Believe me it's anything but "blah and silver".

http://i.imgur.com/5DlvqAP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oBQOeJZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RqhSALO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/E94Rlk5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Qlom5T6.jpg

Edited by KellyMcJ

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyMcJ

• akrohn2010

• FOUR X FOUR

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

I REALLY dig the star themed jinhao with the re-entry nib AND the space themed ink.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I REALLY dig the star themed jinhao with the re-entry nib AND the space themed ink.

Easy enough to put together! Fair warning, the reentry nibs lose color wherever they contact ink. Which turns out to be ok appearance wise. But the first couple days, the chemical reaction will dry out/clog the nib. Then it's fine after that.

I'm also digging the re-entry nib as a Nemosine fan. Nicely done! There might be threads elsewhere on this but does the re-entry finish wear off eventually? Was tempted to get one but didn't...I chose to get a black Goulet nib for my Frost Black X750 but was also happy with the result! I enjoy having a pen in my collection that writes well and reliably but is (more) easily replaceable.

Incidentally, the Jinhao is also the only pen my wife will tolerate writing with because the Goulet nib w/Jinhao feed seems to never dry out and has a large sweet spot.

Her words were, "This one actually works!"

Sigh...

Edited by akrohn2010

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

I really like the idea of the x750 Shimmering Sands pen. Does the Nemosine reentry stub nib have any tipping at all? Did you buy yours from Nemosine or Goulet Pens? Or did you manage to buy the nib and converter together from the same stockist?

This particular re-entry nib is a stub, so it does not have tipping. I don't know about their others. I bought it from Goulet.

YES, the color DOES wear off. It was noticeably vacating the pen everywhere ink touched it within 12 hours. It still looks decent, but I can tell in far less time than I would like there's a very good chance I'll be polishing this nib to plain silver. I would be unlikely to buy another re-entry nib, because they're something of a disappointment. I expected color wear, but not this quickly.

In fact it even created a chemical reaction with the ink which caused the nib slit to clog the first day leading to hard starts. That issue resolved itself. And this is using Nemosine ink, too, so it's not like I used something that would be expected to conflict with the nib material.

I'm very happy with the pen, however. It's a fantastic writer!

http://i.imgur.com/AM3RV26.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/J8Ik8JX.jpg

Good to know -- thanks for the pictures! Too bad -- they look amazing with the torched finish but sad to hear they wear off as I feared.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Good to know -- thanks for the pictures! Too bad -- they look amazing with the torched finish but sad to hear they wear off as I feared.

I agree. I'm unlikely to buy another in this finish. But they are great nibs, at least the 0.6mm stubs are (I have 2 I like them setup much).

I wonder if jinhao will ever offer a gold in any of their awesome pens.

Allan😀😀

I agree. I'm unlikely to buy another in this finish. But they are great nibs, at least the 0.6mm stubs are (I have 2 I like them setup much).

I enjoy the 0.6mm stub as well, though I recently picked up a Conklin Duragraph w/a 1.1 stub, and found the line widths almost identical. Guessing it's because the Nemosine writes so much wetter than the Conklin, but I was a bit surprised when I compared them...

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

I enjoy the 0.6mm stub as well, though I recently picked up a Conklin Duragraph w/a 1.1 stub, and found the line widths almost identical. Guessing it's because the Nemosine writes so much wetter than the Conklin, but I was a bit surprised when I compared them...

My TWSBI eco 1.1, with the nib having been tweaked (by me) and a very dry ink writes almost the same too. A little crisper.

I hear pilot's 1.1 cursive italics are on the small side as well.