• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davefoe

• mitto

• AL01

• jeremycoleman1957

They're just repackaging/renaming the Cross Ion.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

That's the first time I've looked through their website since it came back online. Pretty sad, imho.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

They're just repackaging/renaming the Cross Ion.

If this makes them bring back more ink refills for the Ion, I'm OK with this.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

Their section with inlaid nibs was perhaps the prettiest across all brands.The writing experience provided by almost all Sheaffer's and Sheaffer nibs is still at per with all other top brands, if not better. But its also true that they failed to produce anything remarkable after legacy heritage.And penlovers because of some unknown reasons were never ready to pay as much for Sheaffer as much they pay for the famous german or italian brands. So I think this was their destiny.

Many of their lifetime pens normally provide lifetime troublefree service for their second owners also. And ebay is there to satisfy the wants of those who would demand them.

Edited by parban

Sheaffer definitely had a good product. Where they lacked in the '80s and '90s was distribution and marketing.
I think the perception was stuck on the Sheaffer school cartridge pens, No Nonsense pens, and other popular price pens which somewhat devalued the White Dot models. I think Bic made a lot of mistakes and fairly unimpressive models/finishes tended to come and go -- many missteps over the past 25 or 30 years have resulted in this regrettable situation. I think a lot of it comes from not really understanding their consumer, trying to jam the "brand" into one or another market segment, lack of differentiation between high and lower-end pens, and other errors. I think a brand extension into art supplies (pencils, markers, calligraphy supplies, disposables, etc.) isn't a bad way to go, but to limit Sheaffer to a few low-end models is sad.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a Sheaffer user and lover for many, many years. I have received excellent service from my Snorkel, Lifetime Imperial, and Craftsman.

Where I am employed, co-workers comment on my pens that I use.

I am extremely sad about the A.T. Cross deal.

Pardon the underlining, but I cannot seem to remove it.

Jeremy

Aren't they about 10 years behind with this release?

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

About ten days ago I did e-mail A. T. Cross in regard to my disappointment about the discontinuation of the Legacy fountain pen and the inlaid nib as well as other things.

About ten days ago I did e-mail A. T. Cross in regard to my disappointment about the discontinuation of the Legacy fountain pen and the inlaid nib as well as other things.

WHAT THE ^&^%! ??!! :wallbash:

I'm speechless.

Thanks for the news though.

This is as bad as the pathetic excuse of a 'revival' of the Esterbrook name.

Bas. Bas. Bas. No more.

It is remarkable, in an extremely sorrowful way.

All one needs to do is pick up a good history of pens - Andreas Lambrou's Fountain Pens of the World would be perfect for this. Turn to the section on Sheaffer pens. Flip through the pages of the teens, 20s, 30s, on forward. Page after page after page of incredible pens, well-made pens in a range of price brackets, quality that lasted more than a generation (some of my favorite, daily writers are nearing 100 years old).

Now?

A minuscule line on its way out, cheap toys and forgettable 'better' pens. I know: it's the way of the world, but that doesn't mean it isn't remarkably sad that this happened. I just hadn't realized how close to the end we were.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

In today's world when the founder of a company is dead or kicked out, there's no telling what will happen to a company. Heirs usually just cash out. Other companies that buy them have their own interests to push. At least they are in writing stuff. Cross could have made Sheaffer into a fast food like Sheaffer Sushi.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Sheaffer is completely out of touch with the market. Which is surprising, considering all the information about what people want from them is written in plain sight on sites like this and on videos on youtube.

You'll be able to find them in the checkout line at Walmart.

Nah....

Maybe in OfficeMax??

(Does Walmart carry Cross stuff?? The most they have is them steel Zebra pencils or somethin' like that.)