The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What's The Deal With Twsbi And Alcohol? (I'm Intrigued)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2017 - 14:32

"To prevent against alcohol abuse in the United States, all preparations classified as Rubbing Alcohols (defined as those containing ethanol) must have poisonous additives to limit human consumption in accordance with the requirements of the US Treasury Department, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, using Formula 23-H (8 parts by volume of acetone, 1.5 parts by volume of methyl isobutyl ketone, and 100 parts by volume of ethyl alcohol). It contains 87.5–91% by volume of absolute ethyl alcohol. The rest consists of water and the denaturants, with or without color additives, and perfume oils. Rubbing alcohol contains in each 100 ml more than 355 mg of sucrose octaacetate or more than 1.40 mg of denatonium benzoate. The preparation may be colored with one or more color additives. A suitable stabilizer may also be added."

HUH?! Go to any store, pick up a bottle labeled "rubbing alcohol" and read the label. It will be 70-90% ISOPROPANOL. No poisonous additive needed because isopropanol is quite poisonous in it's own right. What you, (or rather Wikipedia) is talking about is denatured alcohol which is sold at the hardware store as a fuel/solvent and is not intended for contact with humans. It's clearly labeled Denatured Alcohol and I'm not sure most reasonable people would confuse the two.

Sponsored Content

#22 Masque

Masque

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:17

I use 90+% isopropyl alcohol to clean the barrel of my 580, and the only negative is that it does quite a number on the silicone grease used to lubricate the piston, let me tell you. But I have a 2oz tub of that wonderful stuff and it's easy to reapply.

I use alcohol because it removes the blue ghost left behind by the extended presence of Sailor Jentle Epinard. It does a great job of removing many kinds of ink leftovers.

Wish it were safe to use on celluloid.

#23 Venemo

Venemo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:52

I'm not a chemist, but here are some links from other people who had a bad experience with the ECO vs. IPA thing:

https://www.reddit.c...o_twsbi_owners/

https://www.reddit.c..._have_the_same/

Basically it looks like the IPA (isopropyl acholol) somehow eats away parts of the barrel and causes clouding and cracks.

#24 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,532 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 16:24

My only thought as to why, and this is just a guess, is that the alcohol may remove the silicon grease that keeps the piston lubricated. 

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#25 Venemo

Venemo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 16:43

My only thought as to why, and this is just a guess, is that the alcohol may remove the silicon grease that keeps the piston lubricated. 

No. It messes up the plastic itself. See the links on my earlier post.

#26 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 21:43

No. It messes up the plastic itself. See the links on my earlier post.

The TWSBI Eco is manufactured from a different kind of plastic than their other pens, apparently - hence the specific advisory to not use alcohol in cleaning these pens!

Sponsored Content

|