Aurora Blue Black

visvamitra

Thanks for showing this ink - looks like a very nice blue black. I'll put it on my "look at later" list - I've already spent my pen/ink budget for the year, and am trying very hard not to be tempted :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bemon

• lapis

• migo984

• Erik Dalton

I also have dry-out problems with this ink in an Aurora Talentum. I had to leave town unexpectedly for a week. After returning, the ink has dried out and stopped flowing in the pen, even with the converter nearly full. It's the second time I've had this issue with this pen/ink combo.

It's the only flaw I've found with an otherwise excellent ink.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I enjoy this colour and it's behaviour when writing although it has dried out and stopped working in a few pens which normally behave very well inc. Lamy 2000 and Pilot Custom 74. Anyone else with this issue?

Yup, me too. In a Pelikan M600 which is tuned to gush. Nice colour otherwise.

I have not had that problem in any pen so far at all.

I partially filled my M600 by unscrewing the nib and using an ink syringe since the section can’t fit in a sample vial. I suppose there’s a chance I damaged the nib in doing so, but I doubt it. Unfortunately I think this ink is just on the dry side.

It's more a Black Blue than a blue black...I'm not that into BB having only 8-9.

But it's Aurora. I have the blue, have always wanted the Black....even if my 10 year old bottle of Pelikan 4001 black still has ink in it.

I could compromise and get this instead, in even if it Aurora, I doubt if I'll ever use black.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I too had dry out issues with this ink. I enjoyed it while it flowed though.

I too had dry out issues with this ink. I enjoyed it while it flowed though.

Yup. Great ink while it's working, but when it's parked over night I've got to prime my pen to get it flowing again. It's fairly similar to Pilot Blue-Black though for anyone who's been seeking a look-alike.

Aurora black is one of my favourite inks. I really love the colour on this blue-black, but i tried it in three pens (Sonnet, Lamy 2000 and Sheaffer Legacy) and it was sooo dry that I ended up flushing them. With the Sonnet the blank starts made it almost unusable.

I moved all three pens to Waterman or Parker inks and they are stellar performers again....

Like other opinions-I love the black but have been sorely disappointed in the blue black.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this review and the comments. Blue black was the only color I used for about thirty-five years, and I am back to using it mostly. I am going to buy some of Aurora blue black after reading that it is dry.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks for this review and the comments. Blue black was the only color I used for about thirty-five years, and I am back to using it mostly. I am going to buy some of Aurora blue black after reading that it is dry.

My experience was ultra dry. To the point of my most reliable daily carries dry starting after a weekend of non-use which doesn't happen with any other ink.

I’ve been using Aurora Blue Black for a good 8 months now. I’m really taken by it. I have had dry out issues with a few isolated fine nib pens. For most of my pens I find it to be well behaved with a nice even flow rate and good color saturation.

I tune all my nibs to write a bit on the wet side. This ink seems to prefer a wetter nib. I trust it in my sac filled pens. It is the only ink I use in my vintage duofolds, P-51 aero and vacs. These pens seem to love this ink.

Just a thought...It’s always humid here in Delaware by the water. Wonder if inks are effected by climate.

I’ve been using Aurora Blue Black for a good 8 months now. I’m really taken by it. I have had dry out issues with a few isolated fine nib pens. For most of my pens I find it to be well behaved with a nice even flow rate and good color saturation.

I tune all my nibs to write a bit on the wet side. This ink seems to prefer a wetter nib. I trust it in my sac filled pens. It is the only ink I use in my vintage duofolds, P-51 aero and vacs. These pens seem to love this ink.

Just a thought...It’s always humid here in Delaware by the water. Wonder if inks are effected by climate.

I’m glad it’s working for you. I like a wet meduim but did t have any luck. Got a bit of a sample left so I may try it again because I’d like it to work. I was never bit by the vintage pen bug though, and all mine are current vintage or there-abouts. I tried it in an M600, L2K and Vanishing Point. All medium, all dry starts. Maybe that’s the difference if you’re using it in vintage pens.

It’s currently humid AF in Toronto, but I can’t remember what the weather was like when I tried this ink last. Though we do crank the AC in our apartment every night so that could factor in if humidity is an issue.

I think if very strange that most users find this ink ultra-dry. Aurora Black is most famous and revered in the fountain pen world for, among other things , it's ultra lubricity. " You are annoyed by a very dry nib ? No problem ! Just put Aurora black into it and you'll know what the word miracle really means"

I think if very strange that most users find this ink ultra-dry. Aurora Black is most famous and revered in the fountain pen world for, among other things , it's ultra lubricity. " You are annoyed by a very dry nib ? No problem ! Just put Aurora black into it and you'll know what the word miracle really means"

Actually I remeber Aurora black being dry too. But its possible Im just remembering it wrong.

I put black ink on a pen once every couple of years when HAVE to use black. And I flush the Black as soon as Im done weather Ive used it all or not.

I just chose Aurora black as my sole black ink because it appeared to be the darkest option.

Pens pick the inks they prefer. I’m very fussy about the ink that I put in my Parker sac filler pens. Lucky for me they all do well with Aurora Blue and Blue Black, as well as Visconti Blue.

With my cartridge / converter and piston fillers I get a little wild with DeAtramentis, iroshizuko, Sailor, and some Montblanc. I let the pen tell me what it likes. There are times when pens and nibs, just reject certain inks.