The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Aurora Blue Black

aurora blue black

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2017 - 20:12

Thanks for showing this ink - looks like a very nice blue black. I'll put it on my "look at later" list - I've already spent my pen/ink budget for the year, and am trying very hard not to be tempted :-)

Sponsored Content

#22 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2017 - 18:16

I also have dry-out problems with this ink in an Aurora Talentum.  I had to leave town unexpectedly for a week.  After returning, the ink has dried out and stopped flowing in the pen, even with the converter nearly full.  It's the second time I've had this issue with this pen/ink combo.

It's the only flaw I've found with an otherwise excellent ink.

Edited by ErrantSmudge, 12 August 2017 - 18:33.

#23 Angel91

Angel91

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 17:53

What do you guys think now about the ink? Is it still a good performer? It seems like it hasnt had much popularity...

#24 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2018 - 14:24

I enjoy this colour and it's behaviour when writing although it has dried out and stopped working in a few pens which normally behave very well inc. Lamy 2000 and Pilot Custom 74. Anyone else with this issue?

Yup, me too. In a Pelikan M600 which is tuned to gush. Nice colour otherwise. 

#25 KKay

KKay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:48

I have not had that problem in any pen so far at all.

#26 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:17

I have not had that problem in any pen so far at all.

I partially filled my M600 by unscrewing the nib and using an ink syringe since the section can’t fit in a sample vial. I suppose there’s a chance I damaged the nib in doing so, but I doubt it. Unfortunately I think this ink is just on the dry side.

#27 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,915 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 13:22

It's more a Black Blue than a blue black...I'm not that into BB having only 8-9.

But it's Aurora. I have the blue, have always wanted the Black....even if my 10 year old bottle of Pelikan 4001 black still has ink in it.

I could compromise and get this instead, in even if it Aurora, I doubt if I'll ever use black.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#28 kronos77

kronos77

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2018 - 16:11

I too had dry out issues with this ink.  I enjoyed it while it flowed though.

#29 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2018 - 16:38

I too had dry out issues with this ink.  I enjoyed it while it flowed though.

Yup. Great ink while it's working, but when it's parked over night I've got to prime my pen to get it flowing again. It's fairly similar to Pilot Blue-Black though for anyone who's been seeking a look-alike. 

#30 solaris

solaris

Good for Nothing

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 21:05

Aurora black is one of my favourite inks. I really love the colour on this blue-black, but i tried it in three pens (Sonnet, Lamy 2000 and Sheaffer Legacy) and it was sooo dry that I ended up flushing them. With the Sonnet the blank starts made it almost unusable.

I moved all three pens to Waterman or Parker inks and they are stellar performers again....

#31 mrjustice

mrjustice

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2018 - 15:15

Like other opinions-I love the black but have been sorely disappointed in the blue black.

#32 Weaveras

Weaveras

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2018 - 21:32

Nice review - I'm impressed with the different papers used for comparison.

#33 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,283 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2018 - 20:38

Thanks for this review and the comments.  Blue black was the only color I used for about thirty-five years, and I am back to using it mostly.  I am going to buy some of Aurora blue black after reading that it is dry.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#34 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2018 - 20:59

Thanks for this review and the comments.  Blue black was the only color I used for about thirty-five years, and I am back to using it mostly.  I am going to buy some of Aurora blue black after reading that it is dry.

My experience was ultra dry. To the point of my most reliable daily carries dry starting after a weekend of non-use which doesn't happen with any other ink. 

#35 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2018 - 00:50

I’ve been using Aurora Blue Black for a good 8 months now. I’m really taken by it. I have had dry out issues with a few isolated fine nib pens. For most of my pens I find it to be well behaved with a nice even flow rate and good color saturation.
I tune all my nibs to write a bit on the wet side. This ink seems to prefer a wetter nib. I trust it in my sac filled pens. It is the only ink I use in my vintage duofolds, P-51 aero and vacs. These pens seem to love this ink.
Just a thought...It’s always humid here in Delaware by the water. Wonder if inks are effected by climate.

#36 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:45

I’ve been using Aurora Blue Black for a good 8 months now. I’m really taken by it. I have had dry out issues with a few isolated fine nib pens. For most of my pens I find it to be well behaved with a nice even flow rate and good color saturation.
I tune all my nibs to write a bit on the wet side. This ink seems to prefer a wetter nib. I trust it in my sac filled pens. It is the only ink I use in my vintage duofolds, P-51 aero and vacs. These pens seem to love this ink.
Just a thought...It’s always humid here in Delaware by the water. Wonder if inks are effected by climate.

I’m glad it’s working for you. I like a wet meduim but did t have any luck. Got a bit of a sample left so I may try it again because I’d like it to work. I was never bit by the vintage pen bug though, and all mine are current vintage or there-abouts. I tried it in an M600, L2K and Vanishing Point. All medium, all dry starts. Maybe that’s the difference if you’re using it in vintage pens.

It’s currently humid AF in Toronto, but I can’t remember what the weather was like when I tried this ink last. Though we do crank the AC in our apartment every night so that could factor in if humidity is an issue.

#37 Patrick L

Patrick L

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:07

I think if very strange that most users find this ink ultra-dry. Aurora Black is most famous and revered in the fountain pen world for, among other things , it's ultra lubricity. " You are annoyed by  a very dry nib ? No problem ! Just put Aurora black into it and you'll know what the word miracle really means"

#38 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2018 - 13:15

I think if very strange that most users find this ink ultra-dry. Aurora Black is most famous and revered in the fountain pen world for, among other things , it's ultra lubricity. " You are annoyed by  a very dry nib ? No problem ! Just put Aurora black into it and you'll know what the word miracle really means"

Actually I remeber Aurora black being dry too. But its possible Im just remembering it wrong.

I put black ink on a pen once every couple of years when HAVE to use black. And I flush the Black as soon as Im done weather Ive used it all or not.

I just chose Aurora black as my sole black ink because it appeared to be the darkest option.

#39 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:34

Pens pick the inks they prefer. I’m very fussy about the ink that I put in my Parker sac filler pens. Lucky for me they all do well with Aurora Blue and Blue Black, as well as Visconti Blue.
With my cartridge / converter and piston fillers I get a little wild with DeAtramentis, iroshizuko, Sailor, and some Montblanc. I let the pen tell me what it likes. There are times when pens and nibs, just reject certain inks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aurora, blue black

Sponsored Content

|