Aurora Blue Black

visvamitra

Aurora inks come in three basic colors: blue, blue black and black. The bottle holds 45 ml of ink. Inks can be also bought in cartridges.

For many years Aurora wasn't interested in expanding their color range. They seemed to think that Blue and Black are able to fully satisfy fountain pen afficionados needs. The market changed, hundreds of new colors were created, new ink makers appeared and Aurora teem decided to make a bold move and offer new exciting color, unlike any other on the market * - blue black. It's a breakthrough moment in Aurora history. Who knows, maybe they'll dare to offer green or red soon?

fpn_1501391003__aurora_bb.jpg

fpn_1501390480__bb_aurora.jpg

While I'm not biggest fan of blue blacks, I tend to use them from time to time. Kyonooto Aonibi is one of my favorite inks ever but it's not classic blue black. I was interested in trying new Aurora ink (on the other hand I'm interested in trying any new ink). I bought a bottle and used it for few weeks in four pens. The results are good.

To put it shortly - it's an excellent fountain pen ink. You may not enjoy the color but the behavior and smoothness are first class.

fpn_1501391245__bb_aurora_is.jpg

The color is saturated and quite deep, the ink flows nicely and lubricates the nib in a satisfying way. level of saturation is satisfying but not crazily intense or overwhelming. There's some shading - I guess that in a right pen it can be quite intense. I haven't observed any feathering even on Moleskine (a synonyme of crappy paper). Some bleedthrough was experienced only on Moleskine (crappy paper).

Drying time is reasonable (10-15 secs on Rhodia and alikes).

Additionally it's fairly water resistant ink. Well done Aurora! I hope that you'll offer some new colors.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1501391265__bb_aurora_rk.jpg

Color ID

fpn_1501391493__bb_aurora_l_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1501391515__bb_aurora_l_4.jpg

Discovery 70 mgsm copy paper, Wing Sung 698, fine nib

(The quote comes from Josiah Bancroft's excellent book Arm of the Sphinx. Highly recommended)

fpn_1501391533__bb_aurora_discovery_1.jp

fpn_1501391618__bb_aurora_discovery_2.jp

Oxford Optic 90 mgsm, Visconti Homo Sapiens, medium nib

fpn_1501391633__bb_aurora_ox.jpg

fpn_1501391659__bb_aurora_ox_2.jpg

fpn_1501391673__bb_aurora_ox_3.jpg

Leuchtturm1917, Visconti Homo Sapiens, medium nib

fpn_1501391696__bb_aurora_l_1.jpg

fpn_1501391777__bb_aurora_l_2.jpg

Leuchtturm1917, Wing Sung 698, medium nib

fpn_1501391822__bb_aurora_moleskine_1.jp

fpn_1501391886__bb_aurora_moleskine_2.jp

fpn_1501391897__bb_aurora_moleskine_3.jp

Water resistance

fpn_1501391937__bb_aurora_h2o.jpg

Mini-comparison

fpn_1501392067__aurora_bb_comparison.jpg

* I'm pretty sure everyone knows I'm joking, but just to be sure - it was irony :P

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bemon

• Tas

• visvamitra

• KKay

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the review.

Always enjoy your reviews!

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

I enjoy this colour and it's behaviour when writing although it has dried out and stopped working in a few pens which normally behave very well inc. Lamy 2000 and Pilot Custom 74. Anyone else with this issue?

I enjoy this colour and it's behaviour when writing although it has dried out and stopped working in a few pens which normally behave very well inc. Lamy 2000 and Pilot Custom 74. Anyone else with this issue?

Dry out was a persistent problem with this ink in my lamy 2000. You're not alone.

Now I'm trying it out in my Noodlers Konrad with Bock 1.5 nib. I'm going to try to use it for longer writing sessions while taking the dryout issue as a given.

* I'm pretty sure everyone knows I'm joking, but just to be sure - it was irony :P

That's a good one! As said earlier, IMO this b-b is rather boring, although the behaviour is top-notch.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Sort of a repeat of my last post (4 min ago here): I find its behaviour impeccable. Ignition problems add on immediately to worst behaviour in general but I've not yet seen that here with this ink in any pen.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Hmm. This looks a lot like some other blue-blacks I already have, But the hint of red sheen makes it a bit interesting, so it would be a "maybe" ink for me to try.

Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Plus I'm happy that it doesn't appear to lean teal, the way a lot of blue-black inks do (I have enough of those).

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have a bottle of this back home in the UK, bought from Kirit. I really like its shading & vintage style. It worked well in my Waterman W5 & Pelikans. Can't wait to get to try it with my James Finnis Serendipity pen - I think it'll be a very good match.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Tas!

Ha!

I've see-sawed on buying this having seen a good few reviews here but will refrain until I see it in person. Far too many Blue Blacks here at home to add new ones willy nilly :rolleyes:

PS. Saving my money to buy up the entire stock of SK Tundra Green :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Excellent review again visvamitra :)

Edited by Tas

I really like the look of this but am put off by the reports of hard starting. I guess the best thing is to get a sample and see how it behaves in my favorite pen! :)

Ha!

I've see-sawed on buying this having seen a good few reviews here but will refrain until I see it in person. Far too many Blue Blacks here at home to add new ones willy nilly :rolleyes:

PS. Saving my money to buy up the entire stock of SK Tundra Green :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Excellent review again visvamitra :)

Tas - you can have my bottle of SK Tundra Green. Remind me when I get back to the UK later in the year :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

Tas - you can have my bottle of SK Tundra Green. Remind me when I get back to the UK later in the year :-)

Woo hoo !

I have would love to exchange it for something though as you have already given me Salamander and helped ferry inks across the globe for me. (Blue Upon The Plains, Raven & Kobe 46)

Could I offer you a sketch, or another bottle perhaps ?

London Pen show?

A great review and a colour that is dear to my heart. Perhaps a little dry but all that is pen/paper dependant anyway.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I really like this ink. I have had NO hard starting issues with this ink in several different pens. It is smooth and well behaved. It has shading, and it works well in an XF nib too.

I prefer blue or black to blue-black. Waterman's tinge on the colour is the only one I use. Aurora's effort will not have me rushing to add another, much as I consider Aurora's blue and black to be staple inks.

X