The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Anyone Knows The Hardness Grade Of '80/90's Sheaffer F15 0.9Mm Leads?

sheaffer mechanical pencil lead grade f15

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gammada

gammada

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2017 - 00:48

Just found a stash of old leads hidden in a drawer, among them there are a couple of late '80s or early '90's Sheaffer 0.9mm leads that have "F15" as the only identification. They come is blue plastic containers with a yellow cap.

I would like to know if anyone here has any clue as to the grade they could be?

They are pretty firm and write somewhere between a 2H or 4H grade (depending on which brand you compare them to).

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Content

#2 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:26

I have the metal container in yellow sheaffers fineline F15 and stamped medium HB I kept the container just cause its vintage cool. I have the pencil with one lead left and it looks like a .9. Makes a firm med gray line but for the era was considered fineline. The pencil clip is stamped Fineline. Darkgreen body with center section "fractured oyster pearl" celluloid. The lead container is likely pre-zip code or any postal code. W.A. Shaeffer pen company. Ft. Madison Iowa

Edited by Studio97, 30 July 2017 - 01:40.

#3 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• 895 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:18

I think the Pearlies were vintage 1940s or 1950s.

#4 gammada

gammada

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:32

I have the metal container in yellow sheaffers fineline F15 and stamped medium HB I kept the container just cause its vintage cool. I have the pencil with one lead left and it looks like a .9. Makes a firm med gray line but for the era was considered fineline. The pencil clip is stamped Fineline. Darkgreen body with center section "fractured oyster pearl" celluloid. The lead container is likely pre-zip code or any postal code. W.A. Shaeffer pen company. Ft. Madison Iowa

It seems that the F15 line had more than one grade, so far, I've managed to track HB H and H2 versions. Mine print a very faint line so am inclined to think these are either H or H2.

Gonna try to get my hands on one of those vintage boxes, they look really cool!

#5 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• 895 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 14:26

Hate to tell you but i sold off about a dozen of them some years ago. I have a couple left. Tried to downsize a collection of pen and pencil misc items. Coolest vintage pencil i have is an Eagle clutch pencil dated stamped 1879.

#6 gammada

gammada

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:31

Hate to tell you but i sold off about a dozen of them some years ago. I have a couple left. Tried to downsize a collection of pen and pencil misc items. Coolest vintage pencil i have is an Eagle clutch pencil dated stamped 1879.

Mind showing a photo of that cool clutch pencil of yours?

#7 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• 895 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 15:31

I have a smart phone camera. Not sure how to post a photo. I need to find instructions. I could send one via email to you.

Edited by Studio97, 06 August 2017 - 15:33.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, mechanical pencil, lead, grade, f15

Sponsored Content

|