Can Ebonite Cause Allergic Reactions?

DrDebG

I have what might seem like a dumb question.

I understand that ebonite is made from rubber that has been vulcanized. It is very hard yet still porous.

Has anyone every experienced an allergic reaction to ebonite? There are many people who are allergic to latex and other rubber substances, of which I am one. I am curious if anyone else is allergic to latex and other rubber substances has ever owned an ebonite pen and had a reaction.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrDebG

• mhguda

• ParkerDuofold

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dr. Penfection, (et al),

This question has come up before:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/208898-ebonite-latex-allergies/

Unfortunately, so far, no one has a definitive answer aside from consulting your physician.

One thing you could maybe inquire about would be, what if you waxed the pens with carnauba wax or beeswax, (or applied some type of clearcoat acrylic or lacquer),... to form a barrier between the rubber and your skin.

This is just something off the tip of my pointed head... not sure how effective it would be... but no harm in asking. :D

I sincerely hope you can work it out. :)

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

There are lovely examples of ebonite pens available, so completely understand your inquiry!

Not in the least a dumb inquiry :-) actually good and timely in a seriously overlooked issue, far more common than most think.

Thanks for the speedy redirect to the original discussion Anthony! Thanks!

Latex protein allergy falls under the potentially serious progressive immune responses, similar to peanuts, and bee stings where every exposure, at least at this time, notches up the next response. Until a safe tested option is developed, (working on it but not any time soon, if possible) avoidance to keep wide boundaries, & able to function in the community at large is advised.

One description is that with each exposure, one is filling a bucket, which when it finally overflows causes higher end responses such as airborne responses to balloon particles and even store conveyor belts, so that functioning out in community eventually requires a special mask like Vog or 3M. The boundaries grow smaller. So, preemptive actions are avoidance of unnecessary contact.

Because of the epi-pen debacle, many get the gist of the significant experience, a once $20 (about $1.20 of epinephrine) epi pen auto-injector is now $3-600ish+ $1k ish ER visit + a cranky month out of your life on steroids with side effects.

So only your physician can advise on use or alterations that could make ebonite/natural latex rubber products work for you, at your level.

If I note that brief use of old Waterman ebonite isn't super problematic for some with less advanced allergy, that could compromise your health.

Latex allergy can also involve related proteins, eventually limiting contact with similar proteins in oas, such as banana, kiwi, avocado, though those like everything else about this serious issue is about how Your immune system responds to specific proteins. Avoidance is #1 preventive for now.

Edited by pen2paper

Thank you Anthony and pen2paper.

I think I am going to just avoid ebonite pens, in spite of the fact that they are beautiful.

My latex allergy began when I was in graduate school doing my doctoral research. I started using latex gloves - at first no reaction. The next day I noticed I was getting a slight rash. Then two days later, I donned a pair of latex gloves in preparation for working on an experiment and started having difficulty breathing. I immediately took the gloves off, washed my hands, but went into anaphalaxsis, until one of our physicians (I was conducting biomedical research), injected me with epinephrine. Unfortunately, latex is used everywhere. I just have to be super careful.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

In that case you better stay away from ebonite / hard rubber pens. I personally have been using ebonite pens and have noticed no such allergic reactions so far.

Khan M. Ilyas

Remember also the many ebonite feeds out there!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

You're welcome, Deborah... and as much as I enjoy holding my ebonite pens, (early '20s Duofolds and Indian ED's); I would never put my health at risk to do it... they're not that great. :o

Besides, you already have the best fp in the world... the L2K... :rolleyes: ... so when you think about it, you really haven't any need for anything else. :D

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Interesting thread. And no, it *isn't* a dumb question. Not if it could be the difference between life and death. I won't buy pens with urushi on them for the same sort of reason -- I'm not allergic to latex, but I AM highly allergic to poison ivy (it goes systemic on me and I have it for WEEKS :angry:). So all the gorgeous maki-e pens out there? They're "look but don't touch" for me. :( So, for you, avoiding ebonite pens might be safer than sorry. Not sure if that would make you be cautious about fiddling with nibs and feeds on some pens as well, because a lot of feeds are also made out of ebonite.

I'd be really unhappy if I developed an allergy to ebonite. There's a warmth to it that you don't get with other pen materials.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you all for your great responses.

Yes, it appears as though I need to steer clear of ebonite.

mhguda - you raise a great question regarding ebonite feeds. I will have to do some further research into that. I have close to 40 FPs, and I haven't had any problem so far. But, I also wear nitrile gloves when I clean my pens (and also when I do dishes).

Anthony, i do have a lovely L2K which I adore.

And I'm sure you don't lick your nibs to get them started when they're dry. Bottle with a little water on the desk?

Good that you wear those gloves when cleaning pens. That should keep you safe from those ebonite feeds, right?

(I am just coming out of a period of several years of having to wear gloves when doing dishes - happily either I've found a dishwashing liquid I'm not allergic to, or the allergy has diminished... had allergic reactions to parabens and other similar common chemicals)

No. If I need to get a dry pen started, I run the very tip of the nib through a stream of water.

Yep, I wear gloves doing dishes, cleaning, etc. I have to be really careful what restaurants I go to and have to ask before ordering if the cook or wait staff use latex gloves. I can't be in the house when we have painting done; once the latex paint has dried for 5-6 hours and the smell is gone, I am usually o.k.

mhguda - I see you live in Curacao. That is one of my very favorite places!

well then, dr Penfection, next time you visit, we should definitely meet! I have been to Colorado once, about twenty years ago. Was in Denver. Great place for walking!