Best Most Beautiful Handmade Fountain Pen Maker

Pen-noir

I am shopping around for the best custom handmade fountain pen "shop" or maker. I've seen the type of material I love but don't know who/where would provide the best output in reliability/quality/workmanship, design, nib selection, etc, yet reasonably priced.

Not sure about the best nibs that can go with that. I love flex (not noodler's necessarily), very fine nibs or very fine italic (hard to find one like my old osmiroid extra fine italic).

Would love to hear about the best and worse experiences and/or photos of your experiences.

Where's the best place to get...

Thank you.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen-noir

• Kelly G

• linearM

• requiescat

I've had only good -but limited- experience with handmade pens. Edison, Ken Cavers (DrGortex), and India's Asa. I have been amazed by Edison's pen quality, worth every cent and the wait. My only complaint is the universal Bock/JoWo/Schmidt nibs. Some might offer to have the nib if your choice fitted into your pen (Shawn Newton used to, don't know if he still does).

My other problem (ans that's mine and not the maker's) is that I expect to much from a custom made pen. I guess the warning Beware what you wish for does apply to me.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

I've seen Scriptorium and Romulus on the Internet, but haven't heard much on the quality, etc., and Amy pitfalls to beware, or shortcoming...

Edison pens are incredible and Brian is really nice to work with. His quality is top notch, customer service is top notch and on a custom, he does custom grinds and custom nibs. You can get pretty much anything you want as he uses "stock" Jowo nibs (except maybe for some of the custom flex nibs) and then either grinds them himself or sends them out to be ground depending on what you want.

I think he does 0.5mm italic, although I ordered a 0.7 mm. I'd love to post pics, although then pen isn't here yet (it's expected in August or September). I have one of his production line pens, an EF, and it's just gorgeous.

OP - what kind of pen do you want (materials, filling system, shapes, length, wait time, etc.) And what is a rough budget?

There is no universal "best" but I am sure we can give you a best fit for your needs recommendation.

For example, if you want a Damascus steel Parker 51 clone, or a large wooden pen with a converter, or a piston filler to use tour favorite Pelikan M1000 nib those are all 3 very different and talented folks. People here would recommend lots of different makers but it is just going to be "I like..." based on what they prefer.

I like Brad Torelli. He makes expensive reproduction MB 139 with vintage parts, but that is probably not your taste or budget. So with more guidance from you I can give a better recommendation.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

From what I've seen, in the 200-300 range (preferably up to 250). Don't know if I really care for wooden pens. Saw some incredibly beautiful mixes "alumite?" that look like crazy swirls of gorgeous blues, greens, reds, etc., that are some kind of acrylic resin. One I saw was called "mineral lake" or "lava flow". Yes, not your typical monochromatic blend. Don't know too much more about this material, only what I've seen on the web. I enjoy some larger sizes, but not too large or heavy.

The above are part of what makes it beautiful to look at. Shape I think there should be many options to choose from. I lean towards some classic cigar shapes.

Nib--I don't think I could afford a vintage flex gold nib, so I'm looking at an extra fine flex nib I can afford. I mentioned my osmiroid pen EF italic nib--don't think I can find that again. It is very thin and fine and writes beautifully, hard to describe because most italics are not as thin (not speaking about width). Auroras italic is not as thin, nor are other I've tried.

And, believe it or not, I've been so pleased with my cheapie Knox EF nib that it surprised me. I am open to whatever nib gives me a great experience. I find big nibs very satisfying but it is not always a limitation.

Too much to ask for?

I want something beautiful, writes beautifully, and can become my most favorite pen (though I love them all).

Edited by Pen-noir

"Best" is subjective and depends on a range of variables. I recall wise advice. Three variables; high quality, fast service, low (often described as reasonable) price. You can obtain any two of the three but not all three.

You mention material you prefer but not which. I'm wondering what particular material?

I see you posted material choice before I finished my post.

Edited by Kelly G

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

KellyMcJ...

Would love to see a picture and writing sample of your .7mm italic when you get it.

Would also love to examples of .5mm italics.

Edited by Pen-noir

To answer the title question "the best most beautiful handmade penmaker" is, subjectively, Shawn.... he's cute. 😍

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

[quote name="Pen-noir" post="3892362" timestamp="15013520

Nib--I don't think I could afford a vintage flex gold nib, so I'm looking at an extra fine flex nib I can afford.

A Waterman Ideal number 2 can be bought for about 40$. Small nib, but just awesome. then find a pen maker that can fit it in your custom pen. I also suggest you have a look at Leigh Reyes blog.

http://www.leighreyes.com

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

I would say either Renée Meeks of Scriptorium Pens or Shawn Newton. I have two pens made for me by Scriptorium Pens and have a third on order. Renée does a wonderful job, top notch quality. She has done some custom work on both of my pens. On the next one she is using a vintage Carter nib, section, and feed that I sent her and incorporating it into my third pen. Check out her site: https://scriptoriumpens.com. If you go to the links section you can see pens she has made. I haven't had Shawn create a pen for me but I know he is well respected and very accommodating.

I don't know which is best for you, but I can vouch for Brian Edison of Edison Pens and for Renee Meeks of Scriptorium Pens.

I got a customized Black Rose acrylic pen (a Pearl) from Brian, which had a nib he'd ground to a cursive italic for me. It was a great nib. I miss that pen--I broke the clip (user error) and had set it aside to send in for repairs when I'd saved the money, and then we got flooded out and the pen was one of the casualties. I'd also, in ignorance, messed up the bulb-filler mechanism and he fixed it for me for only the cost of shipping, which he didn't have to do, and which was very kind of him, because it certainly wasn't his fault.

I do still have the one pen I commissioned from Scriptorium Pens, a Master Scrivener in Conway Stewart Red Stardust:

http://yoonhalee.com/images-pens/2017-07-29-dogpen01.png

http://yoonhalee.com/images-pens/2017-07-29-dogpen02.png

You'll notice the roll stopper, which is (again, user error) damaged through no fault of Renee's. I'd asked for a roll stopper in the shape of two interlocking gears, and I dropped the pen and one of them flew off. (I don't know if she still does this kind of roll stopper, though.) I was looking for the gear somewhere on my floor and then (guess!) we were flooded out and that gear is history. :P I asked for a number of things in this pen, including an ink window in the middle in clear acrylic (it's currently inked up with Diamine Burgundy Royale, which you can glimpse). Renee was great to work with in realizing my vision for this pen, and while the wait times are long and customizations can get spendy, if I had the money for another I wouldn't hesitate to order a second (or third, etc.!) pen from her. This pen just has a regular Fine nib. I don't know what Scriptorium's options are for italics, etc.

IMO romulus does take the cake.

19985007_152305342006120_126552942248460

Thank you so much for sharing, flipper_gv! Simply gorgeous. Now I have another pen-maker on my wishlist... =) Someday, someday.

KellyMcJ...

Would love to see a picture and writing sample of your .7mm italic when you get it.

Would also love to examples of .5mm italics.

I am unsure what body style you like, but if you order an Edison (and maybe others) production line pen from IndyPendance you can get the nib custom ground for a very reasonable fee.

This would be in your budget whereas full custom probably wouldn't (from any maker). Edison's production line pens are VERY good. I encourage you to explore this option.

I don't know about the best, but I bought from Edison some years ago, and I am very happy about my purchase.

Regards,

Liston

Take a look at RyanKrusac.com

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I can vouch for both Shawn Newton and Jonathon Brooks (Carolina Pen Company). I have a pen from each of them, and both are fantastic. Jonathon also makes his own acrylics, so if there's something you'd like to have but can't find, he can probably make it for you. Look for his "Primary Manipulation" creations. He often supplies Shawn, Renee, and Carl Fisher with blanks (he's also the Creator of the Kanilea acrylics). The craftsmanship on both pens is superb.

This is all great information! Thank you all!

I lot to digest. (So far, I am leaning towards a classic cigar shape...)