G20 Summit 149

omad119

Good afternoon,

I didn't think of taking pics at the time but when shopping at the BM Boutique in Frankfurt, one of the sales reps brought out one of the versions they had of the modified 149s that were handed out at the last G20 in Hamburg. Nib as Hamburg's Philharmonic building on it and so does the cap. It does take up a rather large portion of the cap - you know its the G20 version for sure. price was 100 Euro more than the standard version.

Alan

Alan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Tom Kellie

• omad119

• Cyrille81

~ romad119:

Thank you for this information.

Fascinating to know hat such a piece was produced.

That must be a very special nib.

Tom K.

The background story involved that the initial reason was in support of Angela Merkel's desire to gift something commemorative to her fellow Heads of State and Government. MB just happened to produce a few extra (approx. 600) complete with unique packaging. I liked the nib, but the building's depiction took up about 1/3 of the entire cap.

Alan

Alan

~ Thanks, Alan!

That background information is precious as it's not what might be read in overseas Montblanc Web sites.

At €100 greater than standard, it would interest me, even if the only available nib size were M.

The large building on the cap sounds somewhat dominant, but for a pen with a rare connection, I could accept that.

This very special issue interests me. Thank you for your posts and detailed information.

Tom K.

No pictures, and I don't find any references online. I'll ask my wife to call them this week and ask for a few pics. We live an hour and a half away otherwise I'd revisit.

Alan

Alan

The power of a bilingual wife has revealed:

fpn_1501356828__elbphilharmonie_hamburg_

fpn_1501356923__montblanc_elbphilharmoni

From the related article (after auto-translated):

After Montblanc announced its partnership with the Hamburg Elbphilharmonie in April and will be the main sponsor for the next three years, the company has now created a special edition of the Meisterstück 149 fountain pen. The cap of the writing instrument made of black precious resin decorates an artistic engraving of the Elbphilharmonie. The red gold-plated feather decorates with the outline of the new Hamburg landmark. The special edition is rounded off by a black package with a sketch of the building.

The writing instrument is available exclusively at the Hamburg Montblanc Boutique at the Neuer Wall and the Elbphilharmonie Plaza Shop.

Alan

The 100 Euro premium over the standard 149 I am sure will widen exponentially over the years due to it's rarity. I'd snatch one up in a heart beat if I happened to be near the MB boutique in Hamburg and they had any left.

Edited by max dog

I like it too. :) Would I pay 100 Euro more than the standard version even if I could ever find one? Probably not. -_-

As always, Dr. Merkel made a wise decision characterized by forethought and insight. She presented a wonderful gift of German design & manufacturer, and in so doing reminded the recipients that the quality of their communication is one of the most important characteristics of a leader. Learning about this pen is one of my favorite 149 moments since Konrad Adenauer and JFK handled the same 149 at a signing ceremony in Bonn. Well done, Madame Chancellor.

The power of a bilingual wife has revealed:

[...]

From the related article (after auto-translated):

After Montblanc announced its partnership with the Hamburg Elbphilharmonie in April and will be the main sponsor for the next three years, the company has now created a special edition of the Meisterstück 149 fountain pen. The cap of the writing instrument made of black precious resin decorates an artistic engraving of the Elbphilharmonie. The red gold-plated feather decorates with the outline of the new Hamburg landmark. The special edition is rounded off by a black package with a sketch of the building.

The writing instrument is available exclusively at the Hamburg Montblanc Boutique at the Neuer Wall and the Elbphilharmonie Plaza Shop.

Thank you very much for the picture and the info about this version romad119.

It's very cool, but the link to the G20 isn't clear. I wouldn't say it's a G20 pen, as MB clearly didn't have the G20 in mind when they designed or launched it.

It seems like it's really just meant to commemorate the Elbphilharmonie. Not a million miles different from the Teatro alla Scala pen from 2004 in concept.

Perhaps it is just that Merkel decided to gift a handful of these to heads of state/diplomats at the recent G20, although the original pen commission had nothing to do with the G20 itself?

As always, Dr. Merkel made a wise decision characterized by forethought and insight. She presented a wonderful gift of German design & manufacturer, and in so doing reminded the recipients that the quality of their communication is one of the most important characteristics of a leader. Learning about this pen is one of my favorite 149 moments since Konrad Adenauer and JFK handled the same 149 at a signing ceremony in Bonn. Well done, Madame Chancellor.

Here is Konrad Adenauer signing his name with a Meisterstück 149

fpn_1501367387__adenauer_signing.jpeg

It's very cool, but the link to the G20 isn't clear. I wouldn't say it's a G20 pen, as MB clearly didn't have the G20 in mind when they designed or launched it.

It seems like it's really just meant to commemorate the Elbphilharmonie. Not a million miles different from the Teatro alla Scala pen from 2004 in concept.

Perhaps it is just that Merkel decided to gift a handful of these to heads of state/diplomats at the recent G20, although the original pen commission had nothing to do with the G20 itself?

At the G20 Angela Merkel invited all the heads of state to a concert at the Elbphilharmonie...

I see the connection. Gifting them this 149 is a thoughtful gesture that reminds them of a shared experience. No doubt she chose the OBBB nib. ;)

Edited by meiers

At the G20 Angela Merkel invited all the heads of state to a concert at the Elbphilharmonie...

I see the connection. Gifting them this 149 is a thoughtful gesture that reminds them of a shared experience. No doubt she chose the OBBB nib. ;)

~ meiers:

That would reflect discernment of the highest order.

Tom K.

I agree, it was just the initial lead-in the sales associate used when introducing the pen to us. Aware that I work at NATO, he brought in the political aspect of this particular version.

Alan

Alan

Beautiful photo, meters! Thank you. Great shot of the pen and the hand which helped create modern post-war Germany. There is some debate regarding the photo showing both the Chancellor and President standing during their 149 handoff. I've read that it was JFK's personal pen and other claims that it was Herr Adenauer's. Most historians say JFK kept Esterbrooks on his desk at the White House. It would have been a brilliant move on his part though to carry his own 149 to the signing ceremony & then offer it to his host.