I bought a couple of these pens on eBay. Lots of fun! It says it's an extra-fine nib, but I find mine writes more like a medium. I'm using Noodler's Kung Te Cheng in it. I really like the pen and that it comes with its own converter. And it was less than $2 with shipping! Can't beat it. I'm getting some for stocking stuffers this year.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anuvratfpn

• goodpens

• Miaxina

• hungrynerd

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I posted this over in the Jinhao 993 thread, but I will try here, too, as I think more people know this as the shark pen.

Has anyone had luck eyedroppering one of these shark pens? I heard a good report from someone recently, buy made a disgusting mess when I tried.

The body seals well (with silicone grease and O-ring). But ink was flooding out. Not out of the nib, but *around* the XF hooded nib, as if the feed was flooding because of a clog. The pen had previously been a dry writer; maybe ink was caked in there. I tried soaking it, but the flood kept happening. I thought I had fixed it, but then ink went everywhere.

Maybe this would be better with the standard, non-hooded, F nib.

I threw out the pen, but have a few others in order (to retry eyedroppering and one as a gift.)

What did I do wrong? Ideas?

Thank you.

I am not sure about the hooded nib but my experience with eye dropper mod on the 51A ( which use similar integral feed/ ink collector , and of course hooded nib also ) ) is that with the setup ink creep do occur if left nib down or horizontal, however there is no flooding out of any sort nor burping. I conclude its a simple physics tha with such amount of ink pressing down, the hydro pressure is over powering the atmospheric environment. I had no problem with my ED converted 51A while writing, only in storage I need to remember to put the nib up.

Exactly where does the ink flood out .. is it from the side seam say between the hood tip ad the section or is it along the coupler or is it somewhere else. In any case most likely this is a sealing issue . The pen was designed for C/C and the construction is not mean for withholding now 8X to 10X the amount of ink as envisioned.

I am not sure about the hooded nib but my experience with eye dropper mod on the 51A ( which use similar integral feed/ ink collector , and of course hooded nib also ) ) is that with the setup ink creep do occur if left nib down or horizontal, however there is no flooding out of any sort nor burping. I conclude its a simple physics tha with such amount of ink pressing down, the hydro pressure is over powering the atmospheric environment. I had no problem with my ED converted 51A while writing, only in storage I need to remember to put the nib up.

Exactly where does the ink flood out .. is it from the side seam say between the hood tip ad the section or is it along the coupler or is it somewhere else. In any case most likely this is a sealing issue . The pen was designed for C/C and the construction is not mean for withholding now 8X to 10X the amount of ink as envisioned.

Thanks for the feedback. I live at very high altitude (9000), which might be contributing to the atmospheric aspect of this. I had not had the issue with eyedroppers in the past, but I think you are right about the construction.

The leak is between the nib itself and the black hood. I think the feed (feeder tube?) may not allow proper flow and the feed is flooding, then coming out through that hood area.

I'm curious: what is it a knock-off of? As far as I know the cap design is really unique.

My pen is smaller than yours. Now get off my lawn.

I'm curious: what is it a knock-off of? As far as I know the cap design is really unique.

I think some people see the overall shape as a knockoff of the Pilot Plumix.

The guts of the Jinhao 991 992 and the 993 are all the same aren't they?

The 991 looks like a disposable Uni-Ball Eye, which is weird.

The 993 has massive child-appeal. It is cheap enough that it is not such a loss if they lose the pen or don't take to using it.

• 1 year later...

well every one has their liking, i bought it since its a cheapo and writes well and i do like the plumix.

Is the nib on this better than Kanwrite?

Also which one - Fine or EF

Zeta

• 2 weeks later...

Kids love this pen. I gave more than a hundred of these to the children of my friends and colleagues and their feedback were excellent. The only problem is with the cap, it can be screwed in too tight with a tiny amount of force (kid's fingers), but after that even adults cannot open the cap without tools (vice and pliers).