New Sheaffer Website

davefoe

The new "Sheaffer Pen & Art Supply Company" website is up and it looks like low-end product only. All the fine pen lines have been discontinued, although some Prelude ballpoint models are still available. No fountain pens other than the low-end models. Mostly the same undistinguished product of recent years, minus the classier models such as the Legacy, Sagaris, Taranis, etc.

It is truly sad to see this "rebranding" of a onetime leader. No 14K gold nibs, no fine finishes, nothing other than the most basic offerings. And it took nine months to come up with this?

I also fail to see what "art supplies" they are referring to. The whole thing seems contrived. As a user of Sheaffer products for the past 45 years, I guess I am now considered too old and the "brand" has been taken over by millennials. But I seriously doubt any "artist" is going to be using a Sheaffer Pop or Sheaffer Ion or Sheaffer Sentinel in the creative process.

I just have to shake my head at all of this nonsense.

Dave

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernst Bitterman

• AL01

• davefoe

• dougeddy

As nice as the Award Pop, VFM and 100 are (fine starter pens all), this is a troubling and lamentable development. Poor old Sheaffer.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I've just read that the website is incomplete. Apparently Legacy, Prelude, Sagaris and Intensity are here to stay, what doesn't mean that the current trend isn't worrying. I am disappointed they don't develop their high end collection.

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

A reply to a twerp tweet:

fpn_1501175124__sheafsnip.jpg

...which is nice, but if you've just spent a while with no website at all and then announce the great and triumphant return to the web, "We'll get the good stuff up later, if you ask us about it" doesn't seem a great line to take. Of course, I'm not in marketing, so what do I know?

Ravensmarch Pens & Books

A reply to a twerp tweet:

fpn_1501175124__sheafsnip.jpg

...which is nice, but if you've just spent a while with no website at all and then announce the great and triumphant return to the web, "We'll get the good stuff up later, if you ask us about it" doesn't seem a great line to take. Of course, I'm not in marketing, so what do I know?

Agreed, poor implementation and execution on the company handling this. They clearly had no idea who their customer base is. If this were bic, sure why not, no one is going to complain about the absence of the bic crystal. This is Sheaffer, a brand that is really only recognized by us pen aficionados. This is more of an insult to the collectors thinking that we wouldn't notice, except we do.

Speaking of websites that are up and running... That http://dirck.delint.ca/ or Ravens March site is awfully good! I was using it early this afternoon to identify a couple of Sheaffers I picked up today. Has it been revamped (the website)? It seems some of the headers and links are different. Or is it just the chemicals, solvents, and inks taking their toll on my gray matter...?

Anyway, bloody nice website!

Agreed, poor implementation and execution on the company handling this. They clearly had no idea who their customer base is. If this were bic, sure why not, no one is going to complain about the absence of the bic crystal. This is Sheaffer, a brand that is really only recognized by us pen aficionados. This is more of an insult to the collectors thinking that we wouldn't notice, except we do.

Has Sheaffer taken a page from the Photobucket Book Of Marketing Genius?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Has Sheaffer taken a page from the Photobucket Book Of Marketing Genius?

Apparently they did. You don't launch a brand new site for selling any stuff, without any new offerings or when your best (and possibly, more profitable products are absent).

At this rate, America will be out of prominent manufacturer brands pretty soon.

Speaking of websites that are up and running... That http://dirck.delint.ca/ or Ravens March site is awfully good! I was using it early this afternoon to identify a couple of Sheaffers I picked up today. Has it been revamped (the website)? It seems some of the headers and links are different. Or is it just the chemicals, solvents, and inks taking their toll on my gray matter...?

Anyway, bloody nice website!

Ta very much. I see the contract I have with Hynpo-toad is producing resul... um, actually, I shouldn't mention that.

No revamping, although I am going through and getting rid of all the non-functional links which Photobucket has turned into. It's as much fun as you might expect.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books

Not only that (although I haven't actually looked at the website) -- it ALSO sounds as if their IT Department is pretty incompetent, along with their marketing department.

Maybe they should take a look (and a hint) from online sellers like Goulet Pens, Anderson Pens, etc....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

Where the &*%$ is the Legacy?!

They had 2 good lines....

The Prelude and the Legacy.

They betta not be gone, or else Sheaffer is in much more of a *&^^hole than Parker.

No more rambling, (for the moment.)

Edited by AL01

I've just read that the website is incomplete. Apparently Legacy, Prelude, Sagaris and Intensity are here to stay, what doesn't mean that the current trend isn't worrying. I am disappointed they don't develop their high end collection.

are those getting rebranded as CROSS?? anybody checked? :P

Cross should have done what Federated Department Stores did when they bought Macy's, changed their name to the better known intity which bought and rebrand themselves. Then we would see a Sheaffer Pen Company focused on it's past and going higher end Fountain Pens with Cross being as it has been for most of recent history, a maker of fine ballpoint pens and mechanical pencils. Maybe they could have even cobranded some products and multi writing instrument sets with both names might be being introduced.

are those getting rebranded as CROSS?? anybody checked? :P

A Cross Imperial.

That's a nightmare.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... they've got the 300 and the Prelude up now. Perhaps they will eventually make good. Let us cherish hope until it's definitely extinguished.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books

The way I heard it, Sheaffer is exiting the FP enthusiast market altogether (if they haven't already). Their focus is the supermarket stationary aisle.

---

Jkn