How To Remove Nib From Feed On A Parker 95?

Khranos

After purchasing a Parker 95 off of the classifieds a few years back, it's become one of my favorite writers despite being a relatively cheap pen. However, I've noticed many of my inks shading slightly towards black the longer I have the ink in the pen. After removing the nib/feed from the section today, I noticed there was a decently sized ink spot just between the feed and the underside of the nib that I couldn't clean, and would assume there's more on the underside of the nib. I've tried soaking it for a few hours (usually plenty long for recent inks), but I suspect it might be a small amount of old, caked ink.

To speed up the process and ensure it's completely cleaned (in case the caked ink is slightly corrosive), I'd like to remove the nib. The issue comes in due to the fact that I've never dealt with a pen like the 95 in regards to how the nib is seated, and I do not want to do any damage to the nib should I remove it incorrectly. I've searched online, but information on Parker 95 maintenance is relatively rare and unspecific.

Attached is a picture of the underside of the nib unit should anybody have a use. Some of the aforementioned caked ink can be seen. Any help is greatly appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/orjDLLE.png

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Khranos

• ac12

• mitto

• shea2812

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave the nib alone.

Some nib assemblies were made at the factory to be a unit piece, not to be disassembled.

If you do not have an UltraSonic Cleaner, then soak the nib.

Soak the nib in water, point down in a narrow glass.

And leave it for 8 hours.

If ink came out, repeat until no ink comes out of the nib.

If you want to, get a small bottle of technical pen cleaner, and use that instead of water for a couple cycles of soaking.

Old pens need patience in cleaning them.

It twice took me 3 weeks to clean a couple Parker 51s of ink.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Leave the nib alone.

Some nib assemblies were made at the factory to be a unit piece, not to be disassembled.

If you do not have an UltraSonic Cleaner, then soak the nib.

Soak the nib in water, point down in a narrow glass.

And leave it for 8 hours.

If ink came out, repeat until no ink comes out of the nib.

If you want to, get a small bottle of technical pen cleaner, and use that instead of water for a couple cycles of soaking.

Old pens need patience in cleaning them.

It twice took me 3 weeks to clean a couple Parker 51s of ink.

I was a bit afraid that the nib wasn't meant to be removed, so I'm glad I asked here before trying anything risky.

I'll attempt the methods you've mentioned and look into those I don't have, I appreciate the reply and information!

I tend to run a wetter ink like waterman in a pen that I do not wish to disassemble for whatever reason and give it a flush after that fill run out. More often than not it works. There are times that I just top up a half filled FP with water and just write with 'diluted' ink for some days, giving it a good flush at the end of it.

I rotinely separate the nib from the feed of P75s using dry heat. I imagine the P95 nib may also be separated from the feed in the same way.

Khan M. Ilyas