The Best Parker Fountain Pen?

CharlieAndrews

I am a Parker fan in general and like many of their models. The favourite: the Newhaven Duofolds of the 1990s. Robust, reliable, beautiful Art Deco design, attractive and sturdy materials, wide variety of colours, numerous nib choices and the nibs/sections are interchangeable from one pen to another. They write beautifully and feel good in the hand. Can't ask for better, imho.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• pajaro

• AL01

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the English aero, NS and AF Duofolds. The nibs on these are incredible.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Clearly it is the Challenger, mine have fantastic nibs...

No, wait! Of course, it is the 51, of which I acquired a couple dozen lately...

Hmm... no. Forgot the Vacumatics, can't beat those.

But, I'm not sure. I mean, what is not to love about the Duofolds, old and new?

Still, my Sonnet is butter smooth and never missed a beat!

.... No. The 75 with a 98 nib, which I received today, is to die for...

Arghh. Can't decide. I need a couple hundred more to test! ;)

This has been...gasp...a nearly exclusive Parker pen week for me. So, among the list of everyone's favorite, I've been using a Parker 51 and Parker Vacumatic. I'm also fond of the Duofold, both the earlier ones, and the '40s striped ones.

However, I have become a big fan of the Parker VS (sometimes described as the feel of a Parker 51 with an open nib). I currently keep two in rotation, including the Kullock on the right..

fpn_1497118642__parker_vs_pens.jpg

I love my vintage 51 with a broad nib. I also have a 45 that has a nice crisp steel nib. I think Parker makes some of the best pens around, you really can't go wrong. Older Duofolds are incredible. I just sold one on ebay in a fine and the woman who bought it actually e-mailed me to tell me its her favorite pen of more than 100 she owns!

Hey Y'all!

I've been really enjoying my Parker Sonnet that my wife got me from Pen Chalet, and it's made me a bit of a Parker fan. I'm thinking of having my next purchase be another Parker Fountain Pen, but I figured I'd "Ask the Audience" which Parker Fountain Pen is the best!

Which Parker is the best and one you'd go to the grave with?

Thanks for your help!

-Charles

This has been...gasp...a nearly exclusive Parker pen week for me. So, among the list of everyone's favorite, I've been using a Parker 51 and Parker Vacumatic. I'm also fond of the Duofold, both the earlier ones, and the '40s striped ones.

However, I have become a big fan of the Parker VS (sometimes described as the feel of a Parker 51 with an open nib). I currently keep two in rotation, including the Kullock on the right..

fpn_1497118642__parker_vs_pens.jpg

I love my dark grey VS with gold filled cap, gold washed clutch ring and gold color button. The datecode is '7.'.

Khan M. Ilyas

My favourite modern Parker must be the Duofold Prestige - a metal based pen unlike the classic Duofold - and the modern Premier in the grey or burgundy - a pen with a fantastic nib and ultra modern but still classic Parker styling. I would never be anywhere without these two lovelies.

I do have a great liking for the p 65- its design is a bit flawed, esp the weakness of the connector- but the nibs are almost flawless ( flow very well!). My fave is the Cirrus Gold- I have 2 of these.

I have recently found a nice juicy fat Stub nib which I fitted to one of my grey ones and its just so nice.

Tony

I would take my sole Parker Sonnet with me to the grave....but my remaining Parker 75 pens will go to the kids. Not much of a fan of the Sonnet which is why I would choose to take it out of circulation.

post-126538-0-94435200-1502112401_thumb.jpg

Nice collection of P75s. Please dont take the Sonnet with you to the grave. Dont you want any calm in your grave? :)

Khan M. Ilyas

fpn_1318235436__rolex51b1.jpg

Dad did not take his Parker 51 with him. Neither will I. Besides, if I need a pen, and can't get a better pen in Heaven, it's not Heaven. On this side, though, the Parker 51 is best.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hey Y'all!

I've been really enjoying my Parker Sonnet that my wife got me from Pen Chalet, and it's made me a bit of a Parker fan. I'm thinking of having my next purchase be another Parker Fountain Pen, but I figured I'd "Ask the Audience" which Parker Fountain Pen is the best!

Which Parker is the best and one you'd go to the grave with?

Thanks for your help!

-Charles

Hi Charles, et al,

If you're purchasing a modern Parker pen... the Duofold is your best option... but look for a deal... don't pay the $600 MSRP.

If you're purchasing a vintage Parker pen... the Duofold is your best option. I didn't choose my FPN ID just because its as ultra-cool as me. :rolleyes:

With all due respect to the 51 fans... and some of my best friends are 51 fans... :D ... Charles, I had a 51... sold it... got a second 51 because of the consistant raves... sold it.

Got a 1923-25 Big Red Duofold... I'm clinging to it like my last breath... in fact, I'm thinking about taking it with me... so I'll have it for the Resurrection... wherever I end up, I may want to sign the Guest Book. ;)

- Anthony

Hi Charles, et al,

If you're purchasing a modern Parker pen... the Duofold is your best option... but look for a deal... don't pay the $600 MSRP.

If you're purchasing a vintage Parker pen... the Duofold is your best option. I didn't choose my FPN ID just because its as ultra-cool as me. :rolleyes:

With all due respect to the 51 fans... and some of my best friends are 51 fans... :D ... Charles, I had a 51... sold it... got a second 51 because of the consistant raves... sold it.

Got a 1923-25 Big Red Duofold... I'm clinging to it like my last breath... in fact, I'm thinking about taking it with me... so I'll have it for the Resurrection... wherever I end up, I may want to sign the Guest Book. ;)

- Anthony

Thanks for your advice! Where would you suggest to look for vintage pens? I've not had much luck by way of searching for any.

Thanks for your advice! Where would you suggest to look for vintage pens? I've not had much luck by way of searching for any.

Hi Charles,

I know... I had my share of misfortune with vintage pens that put me right off them. Unfortunately, the only two I can vouch for are located in The States.

They are Peyton Street Pens in California and The Write Pen, (Danny Fudge), in Nebraska. The former sells restored and NOS pens from all of your major manufacturers and does it well. :thumbup:

The latter only restores the pens you send in... but he does a great job at a fair price.

I do not know anyone on your side of the Big Pond... although, I'm sure they're are some. You may want to search (or start) a post for "where to get well restored Parker's in the UK."

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. :(

- Anthony

For quality, service, styling and longevity there is only the Parker "51".

For beauty, grace and delight there is the Parker 75 Cisele.

Which one to the next world - depends on whether I want to write beautifully or watch beauty.

Hi Charles,

I know... I had my share of misfortune with vintage pens that put me right off them. Unfortunately, the only two I can vouch for are located in The States.

They are Peyton Street Pens in California and The Write Pen, (Danny Fudge), in Nebraska. The former sells restored and NOS pens from all of your major manufacturers and does it well. :thumbup:

The latter only restores the pens you send in... but he does a great job at a fair price.

I do not know anyone on your side of the Big Pond... although, I'm sure they're are some. You may want to search (or start) a post for "where to get well restored Parker's in the UK."

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. :(

- Anthony

I would 2nd these two sources and add a 3rd. Look at MidnightPens on etsy. Gary has mostly Esterbrooks, but there is a Parker VS currently listed at a fair price. I got the sister a few weeks ago, and think it compares well to a P51.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

There are some people on the 'Bay who sell restored pens.

You can tell if a seller knows about a product jus' by looking at them pictures.

I can provide a few links to some good sellers who sell clean restored pens.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/mxmj_pens?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

http://www.ebay.com/usr/inkpenregiep20?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Charles,

- Anthony

I actually am located in Arizona. I just have a great fondness for the UK as my father spent two years there when he was younger and I have met a lot of his acquaintances from there! I grew up on Paddington the Bear, while most grew up on Winnie the Pooh. ;)

Thanks for your help!

Could it be easier to ask, what is the worst Parker, the pen that you would not sell to a friend who was a user as opposed to a collector. For me that would be the 180 and the 41.

Awww. I LIKE my 41. Okay, it's not a 51, granted -- but then, very little in this world is. :rolleyes: OTOH, I paid 50¢ for it at an estate sale, and it's been appraised at about $50. And it's not a bad writer, either.

For me? The worst Parker (other than that travesty marker that pretends to be a fountain pen) would probably be the Urban. Particularly mine.... :angry: I should probably just chuck it in the trash because I'd feel too guilty selling it or doing a PiF.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."